Pure Storage Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 2, 2017

3.2

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I got a hackerrank coding link and I scored 100% in it. I was called for 2 hour onsite interview which itself was a shady practice as there is no phone interview or more onsite interview. I was given schedule to talk to two engineers (ONLY TWO!) . One asked me a design question, which i solved in 20 mins and rest 35 mins we chatted. If my solution was wrong then why waste 25 mins just for chatting? Another one was a coding question and it was indeed a good question. I got stuck at one point which I could have solved but interviewer gave me a hint which i took and then solved the question, total time taken was 35 mins this time and then we chatted for 25 mins.

Both interviewers were pretty happy and I had positive experience so far. Next day I got a call from recruiter and she gave me a feedback that I lack in technical area. OK, I can accept that but below questions are puzzling:

1. Why such short onsite interview? Only two people and two question.
    2. If you were not satisfied with my answer then why wasted so much time on chatting while you could have asked me to come up with a better solution?
    3. Why there is only one online coding test and then straight for this 2 hour onsite interview.

In my view, whatever other people wrote is true. They are just interviewing for the fun sake and to train their engineer. Otherwise this process would have been more grueling. Two hours with only two question and sparing a lot of time in chat doesnt make sense. You cannot judge skill in two questions and then give feedback of "lacking technical expertise". I think Pure Storage interview is just a time waste for interviewees who take time off from work and then their engineers just get experience out of this. If they had said they dont want to hire me, that would have been fine but the specific feedback they provided doesnt resonance with interviewers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

It's true! Just like other interviewees mentioned, it seems they are interviewing just for fun sake or to train their engineers.
    I went onsite for a 2hr interivew. One coding and another Design.
    The coding question was purposely very hard. I was still able to find a solution step by step. I also gave a correct solution for the design problem.
    But during the whole interview I felt that it was not a purposeful interview or with the intention of hiring someone or knowing the interviewee..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

The recruiter gave me a hackerrank interview link, which had 10 multiple-choice questions and 2 coding questions (not very difficult). After getting through that, I had one on-site interview, which consisted of two technical interviews. One was on concurrency and the other was on algorithms/data-structures.

If I made through the first round (which I didn't), then they were planning to schedule another on-site interview which would test me on design and algorithms. This was my first technical interview in like 5 years, therefore I did not expect it to go super smooth. Even though I answered most of their questions, I can understand why I didn't make it through.

Interview Questions

• Consider a time scale. At random points in time, there will be register callback functions invoked. The callback functions are waiting on an event that will be fired at some point in time. By the time the caller registers the callback, if the event had happened, the caller should execute the function, otherwise, the callback needs to be registered and executed once the event has fired. After the event has fired, any callback dependent on the event can be executed without having to register.

1. Solve for single threaded application case
      2. Solve for multi-threaded application case
      2a. How to ensure that the register callback functions do not wait excessively to queue in the callback?   1 Answer
    • Buddy bitmap question. Do a google search for this question and I bet Pure storage will come at the top. I was asked to implement clear_bits(int start, int numbits), provided that the input is well-behaved.   1 Answer

SDE1 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

3 rounds of interview. 2 technical interviews. 1 manager talk. very difficult questions. high bar. can't get an offer. mountain view is beautiful though. Wish I'd receive an offer but not.

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter the second day I submitted my resume online. A week later I got to talk to the hiring manager on the phone, and then following by onsite interview with two VPs and one manager. The whole process was took about 3 weeks. I got an offer 3 days after the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Give us some key metrics that measures the performance of a sales group   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I was interviewed in Grace Hopper Conference and later got an on-site interview in Mountain View, CA. GHC interview was about an hour. I think I had 3 back to back interview from different engineers in Mountain View.

Interview Questions

• The GHC question was about race conditions and locks
      On site question was about simple algorithm questions and cache.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Recruiter email --> Three days later --> Phone Interview with hiring manager --> One day later --> Schedule onsite interview --> One week later --> Onsite interview with team --> 3 days later --> Verbal offer made --> 2 days later --> Initial offer made --> 2 days later --> Negotiation over email and phone --> 2 days later --> Updated offer verbally accepted --> 4 days later --> Offer documents sent across via DocuSign.

Interview Questions

• 1) System design
      2) Hardware questions
      3) Software Algorithms
      4) Behavioral   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

They take interviews as a pass time for their engineers. In almost all my interviews they had 1-2 extra interviewers who were shadowing. Overall experience was bad and most of the interviewers came out rude and having inflated attitude. Most of the crowd is straight out of college and it seemed like they have little cooperation among themselves.
    I have spent 10+ years in the storage industry, and Pure storage comes out as more talk and less substance. Technology is very average and they are solving the same problems EMC has solved long time back. Their culture seems miserable to me... their are better companies and technologies to work on (working on storage would not help you with the jobs of future).

Interview Questions

• Almost all questions are from glassdoor. They are looking for speed... I answered all questions correctly but the feedback I got was that I took longer to finish the code.

Q1) Skyline problem
      Q2) Easy ques on variant of quicksort partition
      Q3) Locking and Synchronization between threads
      Q4) Manager round.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

OA using HackerRank - I didnt like it as the time it took for me to upload, compile and check code was not accounted for anywhere. 12 questions in one hour.

Interview Questions

• 1. Coding: Delete all the nodes in a singly linked list whose value matches a given input
      2. Some bug fix
      3. MCQ's - mostly what fresh grad students can recall instantly. I tried to recall many things about grammar etc which I studied 14 years ago.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

After initial screen with a recruiter, I had a phone screen with an engineering manager to do a technical interview. Once I passed that, I had an in-person meeting with the hiring manager. After that went well, they scheduled a half-day interview with six others: three more senior managers and three peers. Slots were 45 minutes each. At the end, the recruiter did a follow-up to find out if I had any questions. The recruiter contacted me numerous times to give me updates on their decision process. All handled very professionally.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer posed a design question: how would you improve the user interface to your car?   1 Answer