Putnam Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Putnam Associates Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2017

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Interview

1/2 behavioral and 1/2 market sizing case. Not difficult, extremely friendly! Second interview was a phone interview, that was a healthcare related case. Hard to hear the girl and communicate over the phone, but still very nice.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Interview

First round on campus with two employees. Basic fit based questions plus a case in whether to purchase company A or company B. Final round in their Boston office a little over a week later. Three interviews plus lunch. Two interviews were fit + case and one was just fit based. The cases required some market sizing. Everyone was extremely intelligent and amicable.

Life Science Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Putnam Associates (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred to Putnam by consultant with PhD credentials who worked there for a year and left. The person did not provide too much information on why they left. The phone screen was easy and the consultant who conducted it was friendly and very helpful. It was made up of fit questions and a case. There was a quick follow up to set up a final round interview in the Boston office.
    When I got there I quickly noticed some issues. For example, I was not provided with names of interviewers ahead of time which I thought was odd. The interview started with a lunch with two PhD life science specialists who were impersonal and spent most of the time engaging each other in a conversation about the firm and the projects they are on.What struck me was the fact that there were hints of disdain and negativity when talking about the management. They also laughed when I said that I did not receive names for interviewers saying that they are probably finding people now. They were not wrong. One of my interviewers cancelled and someone else filled in 5 minutes before without even reading my CV.

I interviewed mostly with life-science specialists or PhD consultants who were recently promoted. Everyone was there for less than two years. Only one interviewer seemed to be passionate about the job. I was not interviewed by senior leadership or even principles. In one interview, there were two interviewers with one being trained on how to conduct interviews and the other assessing her. I thought that was weird a way to conduct an interview and made me feel that I am being used to develop their talent.

A question that came up in all of the 1:1 interviews was: “Tell me of a situation where you worked under people who were much younger than you? Here in Putnam PhDs might work under younger but more experience consultants, how would that make you feel?” The way the question was asked was very peculiar and suggested to me that the firm might not be utilizing its PhD talent well.

The interview overall went well and the cases were standard life science cases. I left with negative perception of the firm.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me of a situation where you worked under people who were much younger than you? Here in Putnam PhDs might work under younger but more experience consultants, how would that make you feel?”   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Putnam Associates (New York, NY).

Interview

The first round interview was approximately 45 minutes, consisting of a behavioral portion and a case. The behavioral questions were standard. The case was very uncoventional and open-ended. Interviewer was friendly and helpful through both interview portions.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Putnam Associates (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of 45-min phone screens that consist of fit and case portions. Cases were about market sizing and drug pricing. On-site interview consist of 3 45-min 1-on-1 interviews. The two cases on site were similar to the phone interview round, and the interviewers were extremely nice and helpful. Overall it was a smooth and nice process. I heard back about a week after my final-round interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style and how does that affect your future team work at Putnam?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Putnam Associates (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone interview followed by half day interview at the Boston office
    Phone interview consisted on resume, behavioral questions and a market sizing question.
    Half day interview consisted of one lunch and three interviews. Each interview had a case question.

Overall, the interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• What are the advantages and disadvantages of working in a team?
      Given time constraints, how would you prioritize your projects?
      Why healthcare/ consulting?
      Behavioral and resume questions.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Application

Interview

On campus interview that was 15 minutes behavioral/fit and 30 minutes case. Second round interview at their Boston office about 2 weeks later that had three 45 minute interviews similar to the first round and a lunch that lasted about an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Putnam Associates (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews, 1/2 behavioral 1/2 case, followed by in-person interviews similar to as others have described. With the exception of one interviewer who was looking at his phone the entire time, every one was nice and friendly, and seemed to enjoy their work.

The interview process was straightforward, but very long. I heard back on a final decision one month after my final round interview, despite assurance multiple times that I would hear back within a week.

Interview Questions

• Standard life sciences case questions, Why consulting, Why Putnam, discuss current trends in healthcare industry   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Somerville, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Putnam Associates (Somerville, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied for & was accepted to an initial on-campus round. I was interviewed by 2 newly hired associate consultants, both very pleasant & nice. Interview lasted just over 30 minutes and consisted of 15 minutes of behavioral/fit questions as well as my own questions. Last 15 minutes consisted of 1 basic case. Probably one of the friendliest interviews I've participated in.

Interview Questions

• Price a new biosimilar drug relative to your competitors existing drug. Basic math case.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting and was accepted for brief 1:1 interview that was 15 min. behavioral and 15 min. case. The focus was on my resume and interest in life sciences, healthcare, and the pharmaceutical industry.