Pythian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pythian Interview Questions

Interviews at Pythian

3.1

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pythian (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I was first approached by HR. My first interview was done by recruiter. Then I interviewed by team lead and director through Skype. No face to face interview at that time, but I've heard that they had some meetings with other candidates. For unknown reasons, the acceptance ratio is very low. I think they are picky especially on behavioral part. They are also trying not to hire overqualified candidates.

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pythian (Bengaluru (India)) in November 2015.

Interview

it has several rounds of interview process , technical, manager and HR all interview happened over skype 1:1 with the expert in the industries from older version to the latest version, then manager about previous work how it was and wat all i am worked in. later HR with the background verification, salary negosiation and other benifits, overall it was good and best interview i ever faced frienedly people from the company never made me bore or feel sad about it

Interview Questions

• do you have experience with work from home   1 Answer
    • how you will let team to know that issue you worked on?   1 Answer

Oracle Database Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Pythian (Bengaluru (India)) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview process consists of 4 rounds, 2 of them are technical.

The first round is a technical challenge with 4 descriptive questions. There is no time limit and the candidate is expected to display his/her expertise by providing detailed solutions to the problems.

The second round is HR where they explain the companies policies and terms of the employment. You will be asked what salary you expect in this interview.

The third round is a tech round. This will be fairly in depth.

The final round is the manager's interview.

Interview Questions

• For an Oracle database consultant position, you will be asked about the important oracle technologies like RAC, Dataguard, Performance Tuning etc.   1 Answer

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pythian (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online and got an email for interview through video chat.
    After the interview, I was sent a home work to do at home.

I returned the home work after few days. I was told they will contact me.
    No more news from them even after I contacted them.

It looks like they just send the same home work and don't get back to most applicants.

Interview Questions

Pythian Response

Oct 3, 2018 – Global Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hello, thank you for your comment.

We always strive to follow up with every individual who goes through our various hiring process steps. Please reach out to me directly at gudino@pythian.com
    I... More

Remote Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pythian.

Interview

There're was 4 stages.
    1. They responsed to my CV with <10 questions about linux
    2. quick 30min interview with HR.
    3. 1 hour tech interview. Very friendly.
    4. 1 hour interview with team leader and HR. Looks like team leader tried to solve some work tasks during the interview. I saw that she typed something and didn't listen me.
    5. HR called me and told some standard phrase

Every interviewer except team leader were friendly. Looks like team leader was overloaded by work tasks and she really can't wait until our interview will end.

Interview Questions

• Common questions about linux and networks:
      What is superblock
      What is difference between ext2 and ext3
      How you will troubleshoote problem with remote server connection.
      hardlink/symlink difference
      write simple loop using python
      write regexp
      what is mpm
      what is virtualhost   Answer Question

Remote Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pythian (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

Never spoke to anyone, just got an email about a quiz they wanted me to take.
    Did some more digging around, and decided that the company and its size/reputation doesn't justify the complexity, effort and excessiveness of their quiz.
    They're clearly after people that spend all day on this tech, then go home and do more of it just for fun. I'm not that guy.

Interview Questions

• A client has an environment consisting of a mixture of CentOS and Ubuntu servers hosted at Amazon Cloud. The environment has reached a size where it makes sense to implement a configuration management system. The client has asked you to recommend a system to use. Their requirements are:
      ● The solution must use open source software
      ● It must be easy to deploy machines and have them operational as soon as possible
      ● It must be possible to add machines to the system with minimal manual effort
      ● The system must be able to scale with the environment
      ● There must be a web-based frontend to manage the system
      ● The system must provide reports of compliance and changes to the environment
      ● Managed systems must be added to a monitoring system (Nagios) automatically

Please do the following:

1. Identify at least two solutions to consider for this project.

2. Identify the strengths and weaknesses of the two best solutions.

3. Recommend a solution, articulate why it was ultimately chosen, and indicate how it meets the requirements outlined above.   1 Answer
    • A client has a requirement to monitor components of Windows systems (services, events, etc.) using WMI, and has created an unprivileged account in their domain for this purpose. They have asked you to identify the minimum permissions required to be able to query WMI from a remote system. The environment consists of servers running a mixture of Windows 2003 and 2008 which are all configured in the company domain.
      Please do the following:
      1. Identify the minimum privileges required, noting any differences between versions of Windows.

2. Specify how the permissions are to be granted and deployed to machines in the environment.   Answer Question
    • Current setup:
      A server is running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 with a single public network interface, provisioned with one IP (10.0.0.1/24) for the server, and two virtual IPs (10.1.0.4 and 10.1.0.5) for services running on the server. The additional IP addresses are routed with a /32 prefix through the primary IP address.

Desired setup:
      Two virtual machines are running on the server, with each one using one of the virtual IPs. The hosting provider will not route traffic on the virtual IPs to anything other than the physical server, so a workaround will need to be implemented to allow traffic to the virtual machines. The virtual IP addresses must be configured directly on the virtual machines to assist with some application limitations.

Requirements:

1.What virtualization product would you recommend to use for this implementation?
      Provide justification based on the following factors:
      - Technical strengths over other virtualization solutions,
      - Cost (monetary, such as license costs, and labour, (such as installation, maintenance, support, etc.)

Please add anything else you feel is worth mentioning.

2. Provide an overview of the technical details of the implementation. Include the type of network setup to use in the virtual environment, so that the result produces the desired setup. Please include any other technical points you think are important.   Answer Question
    • A client has performed some network maintenance on their side and, as part of the change, has modified the IP addresses of some of the servers we connect to, causing us to lose access. Our VPN tunnel terminates behind a firewall on their network. Some of the machines were already behind the firewall, while others were moved behind the firewall as part of the change. To further complicate the situation, the individual servers also run firewalls which only allow access from specific IP ranges

1. Please identify what changes (if any) need to be made on our VPN appliance to restore connectivity to the client&#039;s servers.

2. After verifying that the VPN configuration is correct, what would you do to confirm that we have access to the servers? Please indicate what specific commands you would run.

3. Assuming that we still do not have connectivity to the servers, what request would you make to the client to check that we have been given access to their network? What information would you request from them?   Answer Question
    • A client has a Red Hat Linux-based firewall that is multihomed, and is connected to both the internal (eth0 192.168.0.1/24) and external (eth1 69.25.33.245/24) networks. They would like you to configure this firewall to act as the default Internet gateway.

1. What utilities would you use to accomplish this? Please list the commands and their parameters that you would execute.

2. What environment/kernel changes would be needed to make this work? What tools would you use to make the changes? What commands would you execute for the changes?

3. Once it’s working, how do you ensure that the configuration will persist a reboot? Please list the tools that you would use, commands that you would execute, or files that you would change, as applicable.   1 Answer

Team Leaser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pythian (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

HR phone interview, followed by a few more calls, then a Skype interview. There was a technical test that was pretty easy for someone who's really done the job for a few years.

Interview Questions

• Standard HR playbook questions and a couple of behavioural and situational questions. Nothing unique, and none of those crazy "how many X can you fit into Y" type questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pythian (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The first interview you were allowed to use Google or any resources you normally would use to obtain the answer you were looking for. They wanted to see how your thought process worked.

The second phone interview was a typical HR interview. I was told that they only hire the top 1% of the people the interview. So at this point, my hopes of landing a job quickly diminished.

The third was a Google Hangouts interview with senior IT staff. It was very casual and I was able to ask a lot of questions.

I was told at this point that I didn't have enough experience and to go some place else to obtain that experience.

Interview Questions

• Name some performance metrics?   1 Answer

Mysql Database Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pythian (Melbourne (Australia)) in December 2017.

Interview

Expect difficulty level high since it is one of the top most company working on MYSQL DB

Processes
    1: Technical test
    2: HR screening
    3: Technical interview

Technical interview is very technical based on the following concepts
    - MySQL architecture and working
    - Performance tuning. Buffers
    - what will you do when query isn't returning results to customer
    - Storage Engines and transactions
    - Replication working
    - Indexes
    - Backup & Restore strategies

Questions can be very technical. They stick to their list of questions. There is no mention of your working experience or any projects that you have worked on.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pythian.

Interview

I reached out to Pythian on my own by emailing the HR or career email. They emailed back and asked me in for an interview before even seeing my resume (odd). The first interview was on the phone with a recruiter in India and they second interview, a few days later, was with the hiring manager and current co-op student in Ottawa via Skype. Both were very positive interviews.

Interview Questions

See What Pythian Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros: “Very strong skill set in Cloud transformation consulting and technical execution but even more so their differentiator from other technology partners is that Pythian really know data. They...”“Very strong skill set in Cloud transformation consulting and technical execution but even more so their differentiator from other technology partners is that Pythian really know data. They are all about data. They spend a lot of time thinking about data, they recruit people who are data experts from all over the world. Further more, Pythian is really good at marrying the technology with the business strategy and objectives. This is something that they are passionate about. Pythian focuses on the customer journey which goes far beyond just technology. Its organizational change, its user behavioural change and creating a better customer experience. They have a very strong complete story from strategy and planning to execution to on managed support. Senior leadership team is always willing to get involved and support various initiatives whether it's sales, operations, engineering, project management etc. The support throughout the organization and communications is very strong. Never feel like an initiative is being tackled alone. The unique global delivery model, allows the team to support customers and projects around the clock allowing industry experts to roll on and off projects seamlessly with out adverse effects on the customers project or managed environment.” – Full Review