QLogic Interview Questions in Aliso Viejo, CA | Glassdoor

QLogic Interview Questions in Aliso Viejo, CA

2.8

Software Engineer UEFI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call from the hiring Manager for the initial Phone Screen. He went over my resume, asked me about my past work: describe my day-to-day activities, describe how I would approach a SW problem, and then asked specific technical questions surrounding UEFI, SecureBoot, and other things I listed on my Resume. The phone screen took 30-60min long! In my opinion, this was a pretty in-depth phone screen.

The screen occurred right before the holiday season (mid-december), a few days later I was invited for an in-office interview, but due to the Holiday Season, the interview wouldn't take place until the 1st week of the new year. (otherwise, I assume that I would've been invited the following week or two).

Prior to the in-office interview, I was also given a list of the 7 engineers (!) I would be meeting with, and a schedule with which my Interview Day would abide by.

For the most part, the 1st 6 engineers (3 Principals, 2 Staff, 1 Assoc Consultant) each went over my resume identically. I found myself repeating myself throughout the day. Although a bit infuriating, it allowed me to fine-tune my responses, so by the 3rd Engineer onward, I had solid responses for whatever they asked of me from my resume (made me look really good/sharp/etc.). I'll list out the questions I can remember below.

I discovered (by asking each Interviewer) that I would be working directly with just 3 of the 6 engineers that interviewed me. The other 3 (all Principals) were asked, as a courtesy, to interview me for their feedback to the Hiring Manager.

My last Interviewer was my hiring manager, and he threw me a curve ball: He had, in tow, the Director of Engineering with him (he wasn't listed in the aforementioned List of Engineers)! I think I started sweating at that point (plus it had been 5/6 hours since I last ate something)! The Director asked me if I had any questions (which I came prepared with!). After the QA round, he then asked me: "Tell me why I should hire you?"

Woah! I was NOT expecting this! I immediately started racking my brain for an intelligent response! I quickly settled on saying that "Although I don't have the 100% skills being asked of, for this position, I bring with me, 15 years of industry experience...yada yada yada....hit the ground running...yada yada yada......I fully understand that QLogic is a business with the goal to make money....yada yada yada.....You make money by being efficient; being efficient comes with efficient, synergistic, professional, and effective teams. These teams are built with solid team members (both technically and inter-personally). I *am* that team member. If you bring me on, your team, your group, your division, your company will become that much closer to being as successful as they can be.

The director responded with an "OK." (nodding his head), it was good talking and meeting you, I'll leave you with your manager now.

whew!

Finally, my hiring manager, who I just found out through the director is a new Manager (from being an Individual Contributor just months ago!), was the one who started drilling me with really in-depth C-Programming and UEFI questions. He re-visited the questions he had asked me in the phone screen (which I anticipated, so I came prepared with solid answers/responses this time around).

Finally, at the 5hour mark, it was all over! I would now wait for a decision!

Overall, the entire Interview was as expected. (I've been through this type of 7-person interview once before, when I first graduated from College). It had a good balance of peaks and valleys in terms of tough/easy questions. (but it always comes down to what you know, and how prepared you are)

The only negative thing about the whole process, was that it took an additional 3 weeks! after my interview, for me to find out that I wasn't being offered the job.

I was told, by HR, that they were conducting more interviews during that time, and that I was still being considered up to the last minute. However, due to *new* budget constraints put in place, they ultimately opted to go with a Recent College Graduate (i.e. lower salary). :(

Interview Questions

• If you and another Engineer had differing ideas on how to approach a problem, how would you handle it? If the other Engineer was adamant at doing things "his way", but you are equally adamant, how would you handle it?   1 Answer
    • I was asked what type of projects (in C Programming) have I done in my spare time.   1 Answer
    • I was asked if there was any aspect of C that I found "cool". And then he asked me to code it up on the whiteboard.   1 Answer
    • What was an advantage of BITWISE manipulation?   1 Answer

EH&S Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview was a joke. Job description does not match the ground reality and it becomes obvious very soon that the hiring manager and the team is clueless about the job responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• ISO 14001, Emergency Response and Training. Interviewer ran out of questions to ask.   1 Answer

OEM Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Thorough, walked through experience, gave specific examples of how I benefit their company. Multiple stages, started with phone screen, then 1:1 with hiring mgr and team members. Then with execs.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Spoke for thirty minutes with each of two engineers and one VP. Spoke thirty minutes with Human Resources. Discussed my experience and skills. I answered questions about how I did my previous job and solved problems there. I asked questions about QLogic and my prospective job duties, and about the benefits. I asked about the company's products and the technology involved.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had been unemployed for a long time so I asked for about one half of what I was worth, but they said they had to pay me more like what I was worth, and they did.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I met with HR and then the department heads and teams. Started with an initial phone call from HR after applying online. The process continued on from there. It wasn't the longest process as they must have needed the position filled since the whole timeframe was between two or three weeks.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions: Why are you suited for this role?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate.. my fault.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Referral from internal employee. Multiple interviews. Initial contact from a recruiter. No screening interview, just multiple on site interviews with principal engineers, senior and exec management.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long long long hours?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Tried. Not so much.