QLogic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 25, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer UEFI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call from the hiring Manager for the initial Phone Screen. He went over my resume, asked me about my past work: describe my day-to-day activities, describe how I would approach a SW problem, and then asked specific technical questions surrounding UEFI, SecureBoot, and other things I listed on my Resume. The phone screen took 30-60min long! In my opinion, this was a pretty in-depth phone screen.

The screen occurred right before the holiday season (mid-december), a few days later I was invited for an in-office interview, but due to the Holiday Season, the interview wouldn't take place until the 1st week of the new year. (otherwise, I assume that I would've been invited the following week or two).

Prior to the in-office interview, I was also given a list of the 7 engineers (!) I would be meeting with, and a schedule with which my Interview Day would abide by.

For the most part, the 1st 6 engineers (3 Principals, 2 Staff, 1 Assoc Consultant) each went over my resume identically. I found myself repeating myself throughout the day. Although a bit infuriating, it allowed me to fine-tune my responses, so by the 3rd Engineer onward, I had solid responses for whatever they asked of me from my resume (made me look really good/sharp/etc.). I'll list out the questions I can remember below.

I discovered (by asking each Interviewer) that I would be working directly with just 3 of the 6 engineers that interviewed me. The other 3 (all Principals) were asked, as a courtesy, to interview me for their feedback to the Hiring Manager.

My last Interviewer was my hiring manager, and he threw me a curve ball: He had, in tow, the Director of Engineering with him (he wasn't listed in the aforementioned List of Engineers)! I think I started sweating at that point (plus it had been 5/6 hours since I last ate something)! The Director asked me if I had any questions (which I came prepared with!). After the QA round, he then asked me: "Tell me why I should hire you?"

Woah! I was NOT expecting this! I immediately started racking my brain for an intelligent response! I quickly settled on saying that "Although I don't have the 100% skills being asked of, for this position, I bring with me, 15 years of industry experience...yada yada yada....hit the ground running...yada yada yada......I fully understand that QLogic is a business with the goal to make money....yada yada yada.....You make money by being efficient; being efficient comes with efficient, synergistic, professional, and effective teams. These teams are built with solid team members (both technically and inter-personally). I *am* that team member. If you bring me on, your team, your group, your division, your company will become that much closer to being as successful as they can be.

The director responded with an "OK." (nodding his head), it was good talking and meeting you, I'll leave you with your manager now.

whew!

Finally, my hiring manager, who I just found out through the director is a new Manager (from being an Individual Contributor just months ago!), was the one who started drilling me with really in-depth C-Programming and UEFI questions. He re-visited the questions he had asked me in the phone screen (which I anticipated, so I came prepared with solid answers/responses this time around).

Finally, at the 5hour mark, it was all over! I would now wait for a decision!

Overall, the entire Interview was as expected. (I've been through this type of 7-person interview once before, when I first graduated from College). It had a good balance of peaks and valleys in terms of tough/easy questions. (but it always comes down to what you know, and how prepared you are)

The only negative thing about the whole process, was that it took an additional 3 weeks! after my interview, for me to find out that I wasn't being offered the job.

I was told, by HR, that they were conducting more interviews during that time, and that I was still being considered up to the last minute. However, due to *new* budget constraints put in place, they ultimately opted to go with a Recent College Graduate (i.e. lower salary). :(

Interview Questions

• If you and another Engineer had differing ideas on how to approach a problem, how would you handle it? If the other Engineer was adamant at doing things "his way", but you are equally adamant, how would you handle it?   1 Answer
    • I was asked what type of projects (in C Programming) have I done in my spare time.   1 Answer
    • I was asked if there was any aspect of C that I found "cool". And then he asked me to code it up on the whiteboard.   1 Answer
    • What was an advantage of BITWISE manipulation?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at QLogic in May 2015.

Interview

Two phone calls, first was brief, around 15 minutes. The second was with Ken Mikels, Sr. Dir. Global Supply Chain and lasted around 45 minutes. It was very conversational and didn't feel too interview-ee. He informed me about what the company did and where my role would fit in as a data analyst.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is one of your weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • Q: What I hoped to learn from the internship   1 Answer

Regional Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at QLogic (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. On site interview with various groups regarding my background and qualifications. It was held over the course of the morning and started around 9 and ended at noon. First was with HR regarding the usual questions. Nothing out of the ordinary and everyone was pleasant. Good questions asked about my experience and sales style as well.

EH&S Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview was a joke. Job description does not match the ground reality and it becomes obvious very soon that the hiring manager and the team is clueless about the job responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• ISO 14001, Emergency Response and Training. Interviewer ran out of questions to ask.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at QLogic.

Interview

Easy if you know someone. Interview has to be with 3 managers minimum. HR, hiring manager, manager's manager, peer manager and multiple possible co-workers. Expect all day. Ask for a seat in the shade and for breaks. Don't let them low ball you on money - they have it. Do your homework and interview co-workers with a zest. Watch their faces to make sure you get the truth on job expectations. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a mostly male technical work force?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated vacation - no problem.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at QLogic (Roseville, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

The engineers who interviewed me we casual. The manager was super type A. HR called the day after the interview and said the manager wanted to make an offer. She asked what I made at my current employer, but I wouldn't tell her. She said that I'd have to prove my current salary before they could hire me. They have a policy of not giving more than 10% increase, including external hires, without VP approval. At that point I told her no thanks. She proceed to lecture me about how anywhere I get an offer at will require my previous salary. The next day I had an interview at the company next door, got the offer, no proof of previous salary, and made 29% more than my previous job.

QA Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at QLogic (Mountain View, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

There were two phone screens, first with a recruiter, then with the hiring manager. Then a full day of "face to face" interviews with six people. The one challenge with these "face to face" interviews was the fact that some of the people were remote so the interview was actually done over the phone. Personally, I prefer a face to face for these types of conversations.
    Then there were two more interviews, one in person with the hiring manager and lastly a phone call with the VP.
    All in all the process was very professional, the staff was all friendly and congenial.

Interview Questions

• What are some things that would make you not want to work at this company?   Answer Question

OEM Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Thorough, walked through experience, gave specific examples of how I benefit their company. Multiple stages, started with phone screen, then 1:1 with hiring mgr and team members. Then with execs.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at QLogic in May 2012.

Interview

Most questions were about previous positions with other companies regarding knowledge of the trade. A few questions discussing inner personal aptitude just to see if you can handle the stress and what would you do with a developer or developers that were over sensitive. Some questions I could not answer because no experience in fibre channel, but yet, the main portion of the interview was technical.

Interview Questions

• Only question that was asked that I could not fully answer was regarding fibre channel and since I had not worked with fibre channel in depth, I could not provide a viable answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Don't accept the job with the first offer.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at QLogic (Aliso Viejo, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Spoke for thirty minutes with each of two engineers and one VP. Spoke thirty minutes with Human Resources. Discussed my experience and skills. I answered questions about how I did my previous job and solved problems there. I asked questions about QLogic and my prospective job duties, and about the benefits. I asked about the company's products and the technology involved.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had been unemployed for a long time so I asked for about one half of what I was worth, but they said they had to pay me more like what I was worth, and they did.