QinetiQ Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

No Idea Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

Had a phone screen with a very excited recruiter who had received my resume from a recruiter friend of mine. Within a week, I met with a business development director who was staffing a program for a potential win. He gave me the thumbs up, and then I interviewed with the program director. The site where the business development director was located seemed very sullen and dark and had very few employees in the office (not a surprise). The administrative assistant who was dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie (surprising for corporate attire) seemed to be bored and had left me in the lobby for 30 minutes past the expected interview start with no explanation. I would not describe the place as having any energy at all and seemed to be very sad.

The program director interviewed me at a grocery store that was down the road from the business development director's site. He had gotten himself a cup of coffee at their Starbucks kiosk before I arrived but did not ask me if I wanted to get any refreshments for myself, and quickly launched into the interview. He asked odd questions that led me to believe he thought I was going to try to take his job if I was hired. He told me he liked to work from home and did not go into the office unless it was necessary. I can say for sure that I was never interviewed for a professional IT job at a grocery store before.

I'm not sure for which position I was being interviewed since my resume went directly from recruiter to recruiter. The business development director asked questions about a task lead position but that seemed to be far below my skillset and experience, also having been a director for 5 years.

Seems like the company is a collection of companies that have come together but there is no real direction or cohesiveness. I would have liked to work on that program and do like the client that they support at that location. Would have been a wonderful commute as well. Happy employee? I could have been!

Interview Questions

• The second interviewer asked me whether I wanted to run a few programs (his job) or did I want to just be on a program. I wasn't sure how to answer the question because I've run large organizations far above his pay grade in the past.   Answer Question

Cyber Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Malvern, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Great Malvern, England (UK)).

Interview

Stage 1: CV and Cover Letter

Stage 2: Video Interview. Weird. They record some questions and for each you have 10 seconds to think of an answer before answering. Uses a webcam and microphone. Very weird but quite easy. Standard competency based questions.

Stage 3: Assessment Centre.
    Includes:
    i. Ice breaker to get to know each other.
    ii. Speed Interviewing.
    iii. Team Exercise - Build a bridge out of paper which can support a weight on top. Be aware of changing requirements, just like in the real world.
    iv. SHL Test. NOT the standard numerical or verbal reasoning. Can't remember what it was called but basically you had several sets of cards. In each set, there's a load of information which you need to read, for example, each card could include flight numbers and flight details. On some cards, there'll be missing information and you need to work out the missing info based on the rest of the cards. Can't for the life of me remember its name, but if it comes to me, I'll add it. It was pretty hard too!
    v. Tech Interview and presentation: Tough. Depends what you're going for but if you're going in for software, then know classes, OOP, languages, collections, basic memory management stuff. Presentation was describing a project you've worked on.

To be honest, it's a classic Graduate Assessment Centre. Looks like they lifted it straight from the "How to run an Assessment Centre" textbook.

Overall, a thorough but flawed assessment centre. Interviewer questioned my age at one point, which is a bit weird and not on really. Quite impersonal interview but it did cover a lot of subjects.

Not really for me to be honest. They seem to want clones from university to be honest and don't look outside of that box. I'm a little older so wasn't going in as a fresh grad. Wouldn't really want to work with the staff to be honest.

2 Weeks since the interview and haven't heard anything so assume a no. Not particularly bothered.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about collections? E.g. Linked Lists, Arrays. What is the difference between a Linked List and an Array?   Answer Question
    • Differences between C++ and C#? When would you use each? Advantages and Disadvantages of each?   Answer Question
    • What is OOP? What are the principles behind OOP? Give an example of polymorphism.   Answer Question
    • Challenges facing this company and industry going forward.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at QinetiQ in January 2017.

Interview

Video interview, had 10 seconds to think of a answer, I was not prepared for the questions they asked and the short time I was given to think on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Innovative idea that you came up with and how did you implement it   Answer Question

Air Engineering Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amesbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Amesbury, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online in November 2015. Had a video interview where I was allowed to rerecord answers, which was very helpful. Got invited to the assessment centre in January. The assessment centre was very well organised and relaxed. Started off with a group exercise, then a written exercise. Followed by a short presentation and technical interview very relevant to the role I applied for, and finally a competency interview. Very good experience all around.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to resolve a conflict?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Malvern, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Great Malvern, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Video Interview;
    Two unscripted questions, followed by one in which you had plenty of time to research. Could refilm as many times as you wish.

Assessment Centre;
    Technical interview, prepared presentation, group exercise, HR interview, logical reasoning task, site tour.
    Staff very friendly throughout, all together a very fun day. Previous grad students were present throughout to answer any and all questions. Haven't heard back yet, but should do within a couple of weeks apparently.

Interview Questions

• How might you use the electromagnetic spectrum to detect and/or locate activities of interest in the defence context?”   Answer Question

Benefits Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied for role online, recieved a phone call less than 24 hours after applying, to arrange an interview. Interview itself was fairly formal and the recruitment process up to then was great. However now coming up to 4 weeks when I was supposed to hear back about whether I would be going through to the next stage, it's radio silence from the Qinetiq recruitment team despite chasing my contact several times.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at QinetiQ.

Interview

i applied through their online platform and had to do a telephone interview follwed by an assessment day. went to assessment day where 50 other candidates came too for the same position. we were given light breakfast and then was given a presentation about the organisation.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at QinetiQ in January 2015.

Interview

I was recommended to the company by a colleague. I supplied my CV and on the strength of the contents they offered an interview.

The interview was by a panel of three. There was a team leader asking project management questions, a radar research specialist who delivered technical radar questions and there was a third person who asked HR type questions.
    An examples of a PM type question raised is 'Tell me about the structure of our main client'.
    Examples of technical questions raised are 'Tell me the Radar Equation' and 'Where is the technology going?'.
    Examples of HR type questions raised are 'What do you know about Qinetiq?', 'What makes you a good candidate for the job?' and 'What is your main weakness?'
    The interview lasted an hour. When asked for my questions I asked for a look at the facility. It was declined.

They did something I didn't expect. I was led from the interview room to my car by a member of staff. She asked me how I thought it had gone. As we reached the car I was told that what I had just said would be used in the decision making process. Let that be a lesson to me. It isn't over until you are off the premises. I hadn't said anything too harmful, but I must have sounded a little negative.

I asked for a decision after waiting a week. I wanted to show my interest, but didn't want to push too hard. There was no response to telephone messages but they did reply to an e-mail. I was told I would know the following week. After a total of three weeks I got an e-mail telling me I was a strong candidate but there were others stronger on weapon knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the structure of our main client   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)).

Interview

Online assessment followed by an invitation to an assessment day at Farnborough. (Note different departments have different methods for assessing candidates so don't assume your assessment will be similar)
    Assessment day consisted of 4 events: An manual dexterity test, a presentation, an interview and critical thinking assessment.

Manual dexterity test — essentially 50 minutes to put together a robot following instructions (harder than you think) but just take your time.
    Presentation — on anything you want that is similar to the job role OR consists of sufficient technical data (most people chose their final year project)
    Critical thinking assessment — Reading a lot of data and attempting to assess the appropriate action that should be taken
    Group exercise — You boat has capsized and you have a list of items to put into order in terms of priority. You have 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Nothing majorly difficult — questions on your presentation ( what you did, why you did it, what methods did you use, etc) then some competency questions and some about why you are applying to QinetiQ.   Answer Question

Weapons Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at QinetiQ.

Interview

Very straight forward with a video interview using launch pad. Took 3 months from application to assessment centre.