Quad Interview Questions in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

Interviews at Quad

3.3

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Quad (Milwaukee, WI) in September 2010.

Interview

After being selected for an interview by Quad/Graphics at a university career fair, I sat down with two young blonde women who interviewed me in a standard manner. They were pleasant and reasonable.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest challenge when acting as a leader?   1 Answer

They assumed I was a college senior. I assumed they were looking for an intern. It led to an awkward few minutes.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Quad (Milwaukee, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

First was a phone interview that was informal that did not ask any technical questions. Just basic interview questions

Then got a call back for an in-person interview which lasted about 4 hours meeting with 4 different people each of the hours. A lot of it were basic questions to the first 2 groups and with the second group there was a whiteboard coding section that asked very basic coding questions like make a function that will reverse an array. And then you get a tour of the facilities and that was cool to hear about all the technologies they have implemented throughout their factory.

Interview Questions

• What was a time where you faced a situation where you needed to come up with a compromise and how did that situation turn out?   Answer Question

Production Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Quad (Milwaukee, WI) in January 2016.

Interview

Well they start with a presentation of their company. The history, culture, the various jobs and how one can move up and build a career. A tour of the facilities is included! This show is presented in my case a group of 10-30 people. Before leaving each is given a date & time for a personal interview.

Interview Questions

• I was late to my personal interview. So when I arrived they had me wait some time before I was invited into the office. One question I remember is

"What are some improvements you can make (at work,in your work".   1 Answer
    • " What is something you learned about our company?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Quad (Milwaukee, WI) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied in 2011 for a corporate trainee position via the QG website. I was contacted via e-mail the next day to provide university transcripts, which I promptly submitted.

They then scheduled 2 x 40 minute long telephone interviews (each two-three weeks apart) which were very similar in tone and style. Questions were fairly basic ("name a time that you went above and beyond" or "what do you feel was your biggest mistake?") and appeared to focus on personality rather than experience or knowledge of the print industry.

They left it another two-three weeks after the second telephone interview to schedule a personal interview (again, two-three weeks away) at their corporate headquarters in Milwaukee, WI. This was pretty exciting, as it included a meal with the two recruiters already spoken to on the phone, a hotel room for the night, and a factory tour the following day, along with 2 x 60 minute long one-on-one interviews with senior corporate figures.

A week before the event, due to "corporate need" they postponed the interview to over a month later, in January 2012. I was a little disappointed but let it slide. I waited until then and finally took them up on their invitation.

I met the two other candidates at the hotel and had dinner in downtown Milwaukee with the recruiters. One candidate dropped out, and the recruiters spent the night joking about the absence as well as some of the bad or inappropriate telephone interview responses from other (anonymous) candidates. They were pleasant to talk to and very frank about the (slightly worrying) state of the print industry. It was an enjoyable experience, and their tone seemed to put people at ease.

The other two candidates didn't know anything of the initial interview date scheduled over a month prior, and the recruiters deliberately made a point of mentioning that we were the only group being considered. This, combined with the absence of the fourth candidate (as well as the absence of their "last minute" replacement) sent a little alarm bell tingling, but I let it rest for the moment.

The next day had a lot of meeting and greeting with employees who were part of, or had completed the QG corporate trainee program. These were, for the most part, all college educated, middle-class white males in their 20's.

The first personal interview took a surprisingly friendly tone and began with simple "how did you get here" and "why would you like to work here" questions. The interviewer stressed the emphasis on their long-term goals, and cracked half-jokes, such as referring to the company uniforms for all employees as "cult-like" and calling the print industry "the last bastion of the middle classes." Overall it was overly-friendly, with an authoritative tone behind it, which, for me, was quite a strange line to walk in a professional interview.

The second interview was more challenging. The interviewer began with the same question ("how did you get to this point, sitting here in front of me?") but was more curt in his expression and countenance. He stressed the negative points of the program, such as the long hours (12 hour shifts) and the relocation requirements. He remained quiet and took a pause before responding, which led to some over-talking on my part.

I'd read a Winter 2011-12 press-release about the closing of 5 print factories due to the recession and QG's takeover of a competitor, and was aware of the (rather dramatic) crash of their stock price over the past few months. I asked the second interviewer about this, who explained that they were closing "just over 10" plants and reeled off a standard response that the stock price doesn't reflect the true nature of the company. I was a little skeptical but again let my worries pass.

After two hours of interviews I was treated to lunch with another couple of corporate trainees at their cafeteria, followed by a (very impressive) factory tour.

I had to wait 2 weeks before I was given a surprisingly standard rejection, in which they simply told me that they'd be moving along with other candidates. If this is true or not, I have no place to say.

The interview process was certainly an interesting one; I was drawn in by the long-standing tradition of the industry, the (impressive) benefits package, adaptability and challenge required, as well as the friendly tone that the company is constantly at pains to maintain, but all that glitters certainly is not gold.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you went "above and beyond" your duties to impress a client or customer.   Answer Question
    • What was the biggest mistake that you have ever made?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Quad (Milwaukee, WI) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process begins with an initial phone 30 minute phone screening done by a current trainee. After that you can move onto another 30 minute telephone interview. If you get through this interview you are invited to a final interview that consists of a dinner in Milwaukee and a plant tour of the headquarters in Sussex. There are two final interviews after the plant tour.

Interview Questions

• What are your favorite publications?   1 Answer
    • What intimidates you the most about this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was little to no negotiation for this position. Income does not vary much expect in the case of special skills.

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Quad (Milwaukee, WI) in April 2016.

Interview

After applying for the position, I received an email about a week later asking me to set up a phone interview. 2 weeks after the phone interview i received another email saying I had been approved for the final interview and Quad took care of both hotel and flight arrangements for me to travel at their HQ in Sussex, WI which is right outside of Milwaukee. The night before the interview they took us potential new employees out to eat which was really nice and then the morning of the interview gave us a tour of the facilities and then i had the final interview. After that we had lunch at Quad/Cafe and then they took me back to the airport. I should know in about a week or so if I got the job or not.

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Quad (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

I had about 4 interviews meeting with the trainee manager first on the phone. From there I had about 3 different interviews with various managers in different divisions and then finally the sales VP. The interviews were extensive and at times challenging.