Qualcomm Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Qualcomm Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

3.1

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview

I applied online and got a mail regarding a phone interview. The interviewer forgot to call me at the scheduled time and I had to reschedule again. During the interview he asked me about multithreading and C questions. Overall the interview was fine.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was scheduled for a phone interview. Interview lasted about 45 min. Questions were mainly about resume, operating systems and C. There was one C coding question on google docs. In all, pretty straightforward questions.

Interview Questions

• Resume projects, RTOS and GPOS, multithreading and synchronization, C coding question on strings.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

2 weeks after applying online I was contacted by the hiring manager for a technical phone screen. We went over pointers and simple function design/testing on a shared word document. 2 weeks later I went in for a full day interview at the Boulder campus. There were 13 other candidates there doing the same thing. I had (4) hour long technical interviews with different members of various teams and (1) half-hour long interview with HR. They fed us lunch and did a brief recruiting presentation. 2 weeks later they sent a generic email stating "Although we were very impressed with your background and qualifications, we are unable to offer you a position with Qualcomm at this time."
    Overall it seemed like they were more interested in finding book worms fresh out of school with no practical working experience than someone with actual embedded engineering experience.
    Make sure to study linked lists, linked lists, binary trees, and more linked lists because that is all they seem to care about!

Interview Questions

• white board: find the first non-recurring character in a string. i.e. input "abbcdcaea" would return "d"   1 Answer
    • white board: find the degrees between the minute hand and hour hand when a clock is at 3:15   Answer Question
    • white board: implement a queue/fifo with push/pop functionality using linked lists   Answer Question
    • white board: create a custom malloc and free function using linked lists   Answer Question
    • white board: swap the values of two pointers without a temp variable   1 Answer
    • white board: write a function that determines if a given variable is a power of 2 or not   1 Answer
    • scheduling, context switching, memory, linked lists, linked lists, linked lists, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of an hour long initial phone screen and then a "round robin" interview with many other candidates. Interviews were both almost completely technical. They didn't seem interested in getting to know the candidates, only how they could perform under pressure and with technical problems.

Phone interview (1 hr) (pure technical)
    Q: What is a watchdog timer?
    A: Correct
    Q: What is atomic programming/non-locking operation?
    A: Idk
    What is concurrency and multithreading?
    What is static keyword?
    A: correct
    What is volatile keyword?
    A: correct
    Programming problem (live) (reverse a linked list)
    A: correct

In person interview (round robin, 4 interviews, 30 min each, whiteboard)
    I1: Add a new node to a linked list
    A: Mostly correct
    I2: Embedded systems questions, low level programming question using "malloc"
    A: Incorrect, did not perform well
    I3: Function that takes a 2d array of a "sudoku board", and checks to make sure it is a possible board.
    A: Mostly correct
    I4: Reverse string function, reverse words function, binary tree questions
    A: Correct

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Arlington, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got an interview call for Embedded Software Stability Engineer from their team which is based in San Diego. The call lasted for a brief 30 minutes. It began with a quick introduction by the interviewer about himself, his team and Qualcomm.

He later asked me questions on C, RTOS and Embedded. The questions were conceptual and it took me an average time to answer them. I am hoping to hear back from them to proceed to next round of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

A technical phone interview was set up within a few days after I applied online. I was mostly tested on my knowledge of C programming and embedded systems. An on-site interview was set up within the next few weeks. This consisted of four 50-minute technical interviews with people on the team, lunch and a HR interview. There were questions related to topics like data structures, memory management. The interviews were fairly challenging. There was some C programming and problem solving on the white board. Overall, all the interviewers were all very friendly, professional and made me feel comfortable. I was very impressed with the atmosphere and the culture in the office.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, Memory management, Storage class, RTOS   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Brief phone interview, mostly technical. Then flown out to San Diego for more interviews. The first interview was a little weird, they asked me to log on to my computer and write some simple code, then they asked me to optimize it. They asked a lot of other technical questions as well about RTOS and then some questions about C

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an employee at Qualcomm for Linux audio team. Was scheduled a phone interview. The interviewer did not call at the mentioned time. He later re-scheduled the interview for next day after I have waited for almost 8 hours for him to call. The interview was for 45 minutes. Mainly covered few HR questions like what is your background? Have you worked in the past? What are your strengths? Rate yourself in C, C++. Later he has jumped into C questions. Very depth analysis required. Each answer has to be explained with the help of examples. And must know the differences between different things and which to use when. After C , he asked few questions about just basics in C++ because I have told him I have never used C++. And later the questions were about Embedded Systems and finally a brain teaser for 5 min. I could only answer the basic definitions but I have no in depth knowledge on the subject which is why I got a reject. They would want an experienced candidate because they would know the actual implementation with examples.

Interview Questions

• C questions:

1. Difference between linked list and array? when to use linked list?
      2. What are dangling pointers? where to use them?
      3. What is recursion? What actually happens during recursion? does the memory get stored on stack? what gets called and how does the program know from where to call? how does unwinding happen? explain with example?
      4. what are structures and unions? when to use what? sizes ?
      5. If you have 2 int and 1 char as parameters for struct and union, what is memory allocated for struct and union in 32 bit processor?
      6. what is free()? how does free know how much memory to de-allocate?

C ++ :
      1. what is the difference between class and object? does class or object create memory? basically learn every detail about classes and objects and just the definition.
      2. what are virtual functions? How are they used? Why are they used? When are they used? Example?

Embedded systems questions:

1. mutexes and semaphores? what is the main difference between them? what is the difference between binary semaphore and mutex? how does locking happen in mutex?
      2. what is trashing? what happens during trashing? what is excessive paging?
      3. what is dynamic loading? what is static loading? when to use dynamic loading? what are the advantages? give an example when to use dynamic loading?

Brain teaser: About seating in an airplane. Probability that last person gets a correct seat. They don't want the answer. They just want to know how to got to the answer. Only concerned about steps to get to the answer though the answer is wrong.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I got phone interview Invitation for two positions separately, one with the QCT team and other with Research Team of Qualcomm. Phone interviews followed with the on site interview.

Interview Questions

• On C- storage class, compiler. RTOS- Mutex and semaphore. Multi threading. Assembly Language- Memory Write and Read implementation using Assembly. How multiply is implemented?   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer - LTE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied on their website and got an email saying that they will conduct a phone interview. I attended phone interview and it was easy and asked more about my resume and C code logic for the technical questions like bit manipulations and operating system concepts.

Interview Questions

• about my academic projects
      find the leading zeroes for a given number.
      Answer Question