Qualcomm Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

3.5

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Computer Vision Algorithms Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

A two stage process starting from the phone conversation. I had a medical device prototype which was reviewed by the principals which ultimately demonstrated a working knowledge of optics. This simplified the process and led to the personal interview. The final phase was a multi-phase event that include an intensive discussion during the lunch. Individual meetings preceded and followed. Lunch interview included a meeting with a world class optical consultant visiting the site.

Interview Questions

• The position was of a senior technical consultant that aided the team in delivering a sequence of prototypes based on new technologies. Although this full-time position lasted over 2.5 years it was from the very beginning a good understanding about a tentative nature of this arrangement. Most of the questions were very technology specific. One must also understand that IP was being filed so no direct questions were asked due to the sensitivity of the legal process in progress.

So typical questions in this category are:

1. Given the physical principle used, can (my) device be expandable to larger format?
      2. How this can be compared to the work done by so and so?
      3. Were I involved in standard committees? (yes)
      4. Possible applications for the physical effect xyz?
      5. Issues in software implementation of the application function that is based the principle under discussion?   Answer Question

SCM Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone Screening -- Not too technical! for an hour
    Onsite interview - The whole day interviews with 6-8 people.
    ssssss sssss ssss sss ssssss ssssss sss ssssss sssss sss ssss sssss sssss ssssss ssss sssssss ssssssssss ssss ssss sssssss ssss sssss sss sss ssss

Interview Questions

• How the revisions of each file will be stored in the backend for different version control systems?   Answer Question

Senior Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

There was a 1st screening which was very cordial and friendly. Subsequently I was invited to the santa clara office for an interview with the team, which was an excellent experience.

Interview Questions

• Explain how a duplexer works and impedance at each point. Very simple but did not know what the interviewer exactly wished to see.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

I applied online and had an in-person recommendation from someone who works at the company. They emailed me to do 2 rounds of technical phone interviews. The interviewers were really nice and helpful. The interviews were about the courses I took in graduate school (I am on my way to PhD by the way), about Probability, Detection/Estimation Theory, Wireless Communications and Signals and Systems. Most were basic things, like definitions of simple things like fading, stability of a filter and so on. I was asked to do some computations on detection in Gaussian channel like error probabilities and detection regions. I was also asked some brain teasers like coin weighing problems. Then I was asked to do an additional third round of interview with similar problems. All the interviewers were nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• I more or less knew what the interview would be like, so there was no unexpected question. I guess the problem I had the most difficulty was the brainteaser, a coin weighing problem with faulty coins. You have N coins out of which one is heavier. How many uses of the scale do you need to find it? The second part, now you don't know if it is heavier or lighter. How many uses of the scale do you now need to do? Then you need to relate this to a problem in information and coding theory.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Since this is an internship, I don't think you can negotiate much. I just took the offer they gave me and the pay is pretty competitive.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

4 telephonic technical interviews based on operating systems, data structures and algorithms

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question was about the java project which I did in my ug   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Talked to the recruiters and handed in my CV during their visit to our school. After two weeks, I got the phone interview invitation. They asked me what time I'd like to be interviewed. I asked to be interviewed two weeks later.

There were two interviewers. Each of them interviewed me for about 30 minutes. After a brief introduction, they asked me to grab a paper and a pen, and write down the problem and some equations. They also asked me to derive some results, and explain how I got the solution. There was a bit of calculations; not really hard, it's more about the basic concept. But it's not easy to answer if you are not familiar with the topic.

The first interviewer asked all technical questions. The second interviewer spent half of the time chatting with me and half of the time asking technical questions. Before ending the conversation, they asked me if I have any questions. I seized the chance to chat with them about their work and the working environment. Although I didn't get the right answer to all of the questions, the overall conversation was quite smooth.

In about a week I got an email form the recruiter telling me I was accepted.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer asked me an information theory puzzle. I never heard of such a problem and didn't know how to answer it. I asked for hints and the interviewer guided me to find the answer. It seems to be OK if you don't know how to answer the question at first. Ask for help and try to tell them how you think.   Answer Question

RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

1 hour of phone interview and about 5 hours of onsite interview

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

45 minutes phone interview first, and then got invitation for onsite on the same day. onsite is to meet 6-8 people, and each meeting is about 45 minutes. the questions of onsite and phone interview has no much difference. it is all about wireless comms, signal processing, estimation theory, and probability.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

One phone interview and then onsite interview. First I gave a presentation on my thesis onsite. Several difficult questions were asked during my presentation. Next, seven (1:1) interviews. I really enjoyed the interview process. I guess they are looking for: 1) Skill set -- how it matches to their projects, 2) Motivation and Passion towards the projects, and 3) Team Player: how well you mingle with the team members.

Interview Questions

• How well your ideas (thesis) fit into Qualcomm research projects? I think that this is really very difficult question to answer.   Answer Question

Systems Test Engineering, WLAN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I got a call for a phone interview with one of the team members (Phone interview took place on Thursday) and since I mentioned to them that I already had an offer on which I was deliberating on, they expedited the process. 2 days after the phone interview (Tuesday), I got an email saying they would like to schedule an onsite interview, which I did as quick as possible (Friday). After the interview, I got an email from the recruiter saying the team would like to make an offer (on Tuesday) and in due course I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• OFDM - Blocks description, Cyclic Prefix, Advantages, Disadvantages, sub-carrier spacing change etc..   Answer Question
    • MIMO - Working, different kinds, capacity issues, power issues   Answer Question
    • I was told to describe the OSI layer. And I was given the scenario of there being two devices placed at the same place on two different instances, but with both giving different throughputs. I was told to go over the layers and explain what potential problems in every subsequent layer would contribute to the reduction in date throughputs even though most of the specifications were the same for both the devices in terms of hardware.   Answer Question
    • Fundamentals of Digital Communication, RF, Communication Systems   Answer Question
    • Puzzle questions : 3 or 4, Basic Psuedo codes for simple problems   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Their offer remains fixed for freshers.