Qualcomm Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Qualcomm Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Qualcomm

3.3

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

As long as you have relevant experience in C/C++ and/or telecom domain, you should get a call. There is usually 1-2 telephonic interview rounds, followed by an onsite interview, where you can expect anywhere from 5-7 rounds of face-to-face interviews.

In the telephonic round, they go over your resume and ask the projects you have done based on your resume. This should not be too hard. They may also ask some personality based questions, like how would you respond to a particular situation etc.

In the onsite interview, they take all candidates to a HR building, where you'll be briefed about the entire interview process by a HR person. And then they would take you in a cab to the interviewer's office. There they'll ask you to answer technical questions on a white board. There might also be a

Then, if all is well, you'll get a call from the HR informing you about the good news!

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were based on C++ (function pointers, void pointers, pointer specific errors, memory management, socket programming, TCP/IP, socket programming, bitwise operators etc.)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

After submitting my resume through their website, I received an invitation to interview with Qualcomm in San Diego. Initially, I had 2 phone screens, which were quite detailed and difficult. I was asked to submit code by email within 10 minutes after the phone screen. After that, I was invited to interview in San Diego. I interviewed in the graphics hardware simulation team.

The face-to-face interviews started with a talk with a HR person and after that came about 8 technical interviews with staff. Some of the 'technical' interviews were just chat and I don't really know what to think of that.

Other interviews were somewhat technical, with questions about bit manipulations, linked lists and CUDA. Two interviews I remember in particular. One with a senior staff engineer in research with limited English skills whose questions were very vague and impossible to answer. Another one was with a lady working on glsl who asked some very detailed api questions on glsl, which I found quite unfair. Memorizing very specific api functions and keywords does not tell anything about someone's skills. I guess those were the two people 'voting' against me. And two 'no's' appears to be enough not to be hired these days.

My pro's of Qualcomm are:
    - Overall friendly people
    - Beautiful location in San Diego
    - Fairly good salary and benefits offered

My con's of Qualcomm are:
    - Interview questions seemed rather arbitrary and not relevant for making a hiring decision
    - Interviewers did not seem to be well prepared and did not seem very enthusiastic.
    - The chat interviews were just useless
    - Qualcomm is ethnically not very diverse and the limited knowledge of English of the interviewers hindered
       the interview procedure a lot
    - Qualcomm is not honest. Although there were a lot of job openings on their website, during the interview I
       was told by the hr person and an interviewer that the position I was interviewing for was one of the few
      open positions.
    - Some of the interviewers, like the two I mentioned above, seemed to make it impossible to leave a good
       impression. It is regrettable that Qualcomm bases it's hiring decision on employees that apparently have
      their own agenda and for some reason don't want their team to expand.
    - The phone screens were much more difficult than the on-site interviews. It didn't make sense to come to
      San Diego for a day of additional 'technical' interviews.

Although I know I would have been up to the job perfectly and I do regret losing this chance of being able to move to California, I realize that there would have been a cultural mismatch between members of the graphics hardware simulation team and myself. In addition, mobile gpu's are very limited in what they can do and I know I would have been missing all the good things that desktop gpu's have to offer sooner or later.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in May 2008.

Interview

After phone screening I went for a 6 hour onsite 1:1 interview with 6 persons ( 5 technical:1 HR). Interview lasted for about 6 hours. Technical interview focused on problem solving, programming skills. They were not much interested in what I did in my previous jobs.

Interview Questions

• One person asked me to give details on my current company proprietary implementation. Probably it was unintentional.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

I saw a job on qualcomm website that was a good match for my skill set, so i applied for that job,after a few days i received an email from qualcomm HR department that they are interested in my resume and would like to set up a phone interview,so we decided on a date and time for the initial phone screen.

On the day of the phone interview,i got a call from a Senior Staff Engineer of the group that i was interviewing for,he gave me a brief introduction of the company and his group,then he proceeded to ask me questions about the projects on my resume,he also asked me basic C,C++ questions about pointers,classes,inheritance,virtual functions etc,i believe i gave him satisfactory answers, at the end of the interview he said he would recommend me for an on-site interview,i thanked him for the opportunity, the total length of the phone interview was about 60minutes.The interviewer was very pleasant,friendly and at the same time very professional in the way he conducted the phone interview.

After a couple of days after the phone interview i received an email from qualcomm's HR department that they would like to invite me for an on-site interview,i was told that the interview would last 4-6 hrs,so we decided on a date for the on-site interview and the HR person emailed me a map and address of the building where i would meet my first interviewer.

On the day of the on-site interview,i was scheduled to start the interview process at 9:30 AM,i found the building very easily and arrived in the lobby of the building at about 9:20AM,i checked in with the receptionist who was very friendly,she gave me a visitor's badge and called up my first interviewer who was a HR person and informed her of my arrival.I waited in the lobby for about 5 minutes when my first interviewer came down to meet me, i introduced myself to her and we took the elevator to the second floor where her office was located.She proceeded to ask me about my current job and why i was looking for other opportunities.Then she explained to me about all the benefits qualcomm offers to new hires.The entire process lasted about 45 minutes and it was time to meet my second interviewer who happened to be in the same building.

The second interviewer was a Staff Engineer,he quickly went over my resume and asked me questions about the projects that i had worked on so far,i answered all his questions to the best of my ability.Then he handed me a set of C,C++ puzzles and asked me to solve them,then we went over the puzzles together and he looked satisfied with my answers,it was almost 11AM and time to meet my third interviewer.

The third interviewer was in a different building which was only a couple of blocks away from my current location,so i drove to the other building and checked in with the receptionist in the second building,i waited in the lobby for about 3 minutes when my third interviewer came down to meet me.The third interviewer was a Senior Staff Engineer, we talked about the company for quite some time,he gave me a very good introduction about his group and the products they were working on.I asked him a lot of questions about his group and also what responsibilities the job would entail.He was very patient with me and gave detailed answers to all of my questions, it was about 11:55AM and time to meet my fourth interviewer.

The fourth interviewer was a Senior Engineer in the group that i was interviewing for,it was exactly 12:00 PM, he invited me for lunch and we just walked outside the building and across the street to a food court, as we waited for the food to arrive my fourth interviewer started asking me questions about the work i was doing at my current company, i answered him to the best of my ability, i also got an opportunity to ask him questions about his group and the products they were working on.We finished eating our food, it was about 12:45PM, we walked back to the building and it was time to meet my fifth interviewer.

My fifth interviewer was a Senior Staff Engineer, he was very friendly and asked me about my work and why i was looking for a change,he also explained to me about the products they were working on and how they were planning to increase their staff strength to meet their needs.He then proceeded to ask me general technical questions about communication systems to which i answered to the best of my ability.It was about 1:30PM and time to meet my sixth interviewer.

The sixth interviewer was a Senior Engineer,he was very polite, he proceeded to ask me basic C,C++ questions about pointers, classes, inheritance etc. Most of the questions were very straight forward and i believe i answered all the questions to best of my ability.It was about 2:00 PM and my interviewer escorted me back to the lobby of the building, i thanked him for his courtesy, i returned my visitor's badge to the receptionist and walked out of the building and that ended my 5 hour interview process.

Interview Questions

• When one of the interviewers asked me about a particular component that i had never worked on before.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

I applied online for a software engineer position at QCT. After 4 days, got an email that they would like to conduct a phone interview. Phone interview took place after 3 days. A senior software engineer called and asked questions about from my resume and basic OS questions (demand paging, OS memory architecture etc) - But I think the questions are not something standard, it depends more on the person who calls you.
    I was called onsite. QCOM arranged for flight, car, hotel. Hotel was within 10 min drive to QCOM campus. Their buildings are spread all over the place in that particular area (around Mera Mesa road).

The interview day:
    At 9:30 am - I met HR and she told me about benefits and whom I will be meeting during the day. I was to be interviewed / meet with 6 people at interview.
    At 10:00 - I drove to another building for interview with Engineering team. First interviewer was relatively junior member in team but he was very friendly. He asked me about what I did, what his team do, the structure of the department. Then he asked most of the questions from my resume. He asked about RTOS (preemptive vs non preemptive), cache, what bus the peripheral was connected to etc.. - I would not consider this interview to much technical. At the end of interview he walked me to the room of another interviewer.

At 10:45 - the person I was to meet called in sick. I waited in lobby.

At 11:30 - I went with senior director (big boss) for lunch. He was down-to-earth person. He asked about my company, my work background, what amount of coding I did in my previous job, some technical questions/ problems I dealt with that I mentioned in resume etc. He arranged for another interviewer in the technical area that I mentioned I know most (in lieu of the missing interviewer who called in sick).

At 1:00 - I met a senior member of team. He asked some good technical questions based on my resume. Most of the questions, were technical questions but no programming questions till this point. Then I was asked the following question: If we want to limit certain processes A, B, C, D etc to have max heap that can be allocated to say - 60K, 20K, 10K, 10K respectively. So what is the way you do it. He asked me the steps to design or logic to implement this. HINT: wrapper malloc function. Then he asked me to write a simple program to write a program to concatenate two strings. He was also very friendly and down-to-earth. He walked me to next interviewer's room

At 2:00 - I met another senior member of team. I saw lot of accomplishment certs on his wall. He was also very friendly and he asked me about my previous company, work, problems I faced/ solved based on my resume. In last 20 min, he asked a heap corruption problem on board and again answer to this was wrapper malloc function. I got the impression that their favorite topic is wrapper malloc function. This one didnt go very well.

At 3:00 - I met next interviewer. He was not very nice. He asked some technical questions based on my experience listed on resume. Then he asked me to write a prototype, mention the assumptions and implementation of a program ( to sort an arrray and return median value).

At 4:00 - I met another senior member of team. He was very very polite and highly intelligent. He told me that you must be somewhat stressed by the interviews throughout day, so he asked me system level questions - to design a mobile device - what factors to consider and how would you approach it. Then he asked about software design implementation from software perspective. He asked me to tell code flow / modules when a call is placed on a mobile device. He told me about the work they are doing with standards committee etc. He was very humble and knowledgeable person.

He walked me out. Then I drove back. End of story. Although no two interviews are same, I hope my experience story is useful for future interviewers.

Good luck.

Interview Questions

• How will you find or incriminate a thread that is causing heap corruption within a process among different threads.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

Interviewed for a position in Corporate R&D. Skills required were C++ and Python. Was quizzed on Python initially. Told interviewer don't have much experience there. Asked a whole bunch of questions on C++ including RAII, SFINAE. Implement a memcpy function. Did all of it quite well. Haven't heard back yet.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

The hiring process takes a very long time which can be a bit frustrating.. The interview process was challenging but a lot of fun. About a month after submitting my resume I got an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was just to see if I was worth bringing in for onsite interviews (which are very intense). I had my onsite interviews the following week and talked to 6 different people, each interview took about an hour. All the interviewers were very nice and pleasant and very knowledgable. I was most impressed. 5 of the interviews were technical (well the lunch interview was just shooting the breeze about software with the interviewer) and the last one was with the HR recruiter. Lots of technial questions (as expected) but also questions about dealing with people and what I'm looking for in a job. They really want to see if you're a fit for the Qualcomm team above and beyond your technical skills. There were questions about C/C++, differences between C++ and Java, object oriented design questions, and some system design questions.

Interview Questions

• Write a C function to return the number of set bits in an integer.   5 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation, very attractive first offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I was referred after attending a talk and asking the speaker for open positions. The speaker forwarded my resume to the BARD team in Santa Clara. A phone interview was set up quickly after that.
    The phone interview was only about my research - what my PhD dissertation is about, how long it took me to implement some features, how much code I had to write.

No additional technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What part of the compiler toolchain did you use to implement your optimizations? How much code did you have to add?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

One phone interview, then 2 weeks later, an invitation for an onsite interview (2 weeks after that) for all of QCT SW department, to be considered for all open positions (about 80 at the time). Interview onsite with HR, then 6 engineers, one of whom was a director.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all pretty easy. A few of them asked the same question: Write C code to compute fibonacci series.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

the interview took 45 minutes and was focused on resume and basics

Interview Questions

• what is a volatile keyword   1 Answer
    • if the chance of winning first game is 10%, second is 15% and third is 45%, what is the probabilty of winning three matches   2 Answers