QualityPPL Junior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at QualityPPL

Interviews for Top Jobs at QualityPPL

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at QualityPPL (Austin, TX) in May 2019.

Interview

I applied online and then got a call from their recruiter. She asked me some softball questions about javascript but when i pressed with more questions about their actual stack she didn't have any info.

i was invited to do an onsite interview the next week.

The made me fill out another application to bring with me and present them even though the recruiter had already reviewed my resume and said it seemed like a good fit.

I showed up and met the person who was going to oversee the interview. Instead of making any pleasantries and talking about the companies stack or what the development process was like, you know, the standard things one would want to know about before they determined whether or not a company is a good fit, he handed me a bunch of pieces of paper with various programming challenges.

At no point did we discuss my background as a software engineer or go into any type of depth of what the engineers at this company did, instead we went straight for a coding challenge.

I was given a list of various problems to do. The first of which was an algorithm based one from hackerrank. I'm not great with algorithms and let the interviewers know that's it's not my strong point but i'd give it a shot. I typically work on writing new features for software based on test cases or user suggestions; not hackerrank challenges. I went over it a few more times out loud to try to parse which direction to go but was still pretty confused. I asked if there was another challenge we could do or literally anything else because I don't do algorithm/logic problems at my work and it'd be extremely challenging for me to just sit down and try to solve one for someone on the spot.

I started to work on the problem but not within 30 seconds of writing the function declaration the interview told me that our time was done.

I asked if there was anything else I could do but they told me they had 40 other applicants and if I can't solve a hackerrank algorithm problem it's not a good fit.

The interview lasted maybe 10 minutes. The interviewer got defensive when I asked if there was anything else related to coding we could do. He had a list of other things we could talk about but chose to end the interview early.

The interviewer kept saying that it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask the an engineer solve an algorithm based problem on the spot. I agreed but at the same time i've been a professional front end engineer for the last couple years and have never once been given an assignment where I had to construct an algorithm on the spot without doing research on it.

Overall it was a giant waste of time. Instead of giving me the respect of learning about me and my history as a dev or even letting me do any actual coding they ended the interview within the first few minutes.

I didn't even know if i wanted to work there. They didn't even talk about any of the stuff that would give me the ability to make that decision. All i had heard is what the recruiter said which was that they had various benefits and a 4 day work week. That's great and all but I want to know about what tools you guys are using and what your dev process is like. Bringing someone in to an onsite interview, and not even giving them to opportunity to learn about your companies development process before drilling them with coding questions seems like a dumb approach to interviews.

On the plus side I'm glad I didn't get any further because anyone that treats developers that way obviously isn't going to be a good place to work.

Interview Questions

• Solve this hackerrank problem   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for QualityPPL

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at QualityPPL (Austin, TX) in March 2019.

Interview

The primary interviewer was passionate about the work and a firehose of information about it and the company. That was actually quite encouraging to see, and is the reason the experience was positive.

After the interview it turned out there was no position available and they were collecting a "bench" for the future, which to my mind means they wasted their own time and mine.

Interview Questions

• 0) Various basic questions about Javascript, DOM, OOP, etc, for domain knowledge.
      1) Palindrome-related algorithmic puzzle from HackerRank