RAND Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RAND Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RAND in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position online, and received a call/phone screening from the Operations Manager the next day. The call was very casual and its purpose seemed mainly to confirm my interest/compatibility with the position. I was then requested to complete a skills exam, which tested clerical proofreading and familiarity with several Microsoft Office programs. After passing these I was offered a phone interview, which consisted of two 30-minute interviews, and was conducted about a week after my initial application. The final stages involved two 30-minute in-person interviews, and a background/reference check. I was offered the position about three weeks after submitting my application.

Interview Questions

• What would be your priorities in making travel arrangements for an employee?
      What would you do if two employees asked you to complete a task for the same deadline, which you wouldn't be able to meet?
      Answer Question

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

3 phone interviews and an in-person interview.

Recruiter was too involved, spoke with him on the phone for at least 4 hours. Recruiter gives false hope and would recommend email communication with him. Clarify to the recruiter to check job references only after the job is offered.

Interviews were easy. Basic behavioral and situational questions. Coding aspect of the interview was not hard if you know basic HTML/CSS. Nobody seemed happy to be there.

Interview Questions

• Code a simple website layout.   1 Answer

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at RAND (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews - one with the associate director of research programming and one with the director. Each lasted half an hour. First they asked me questions about my experience with data analysis and then I was given the opportunity to answer questions. The first interview was very rapid fire and I was required to stay on my toes and not be flustered. The second interview also kept me on my toes but was more challenging - even after every question I asked the interviewer to find out about the company, the director would end with a "We're looking for a person that works very efficiently - does this sound like the right type of environment for you?". It seemed as if they were waiting for me to falter and say no. They turned me down because they wanted someone with more experience.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe your statistical analysis experience.
      2. Would you be a good team player?
      3. RAND is a fast paced environment in which acquisition of new skills constantly is a must. Would you be a good candidate to work in this type of an environment.

They also asked for a sample of SAS code that I had created.
      Answer Question

Telephone Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at RAND (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Quick phone call about position. Asked to come in for group interview with 7 others. 3 interviewers total. We talked about relevant past experience, our schedules (since it was part time work) and answered a couple questions about telephone experience. Computer exercise at the end using their computer system. It was pretty straight forward and had full instructions to follow screens.

Interview Questions

• What relevant past experience do you have for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, contract work

Statistician Interview

Interview

2 weeks after online application, I had a 45~60 min phone interview with three statisticians. At first, they explained me first about how the phone interview will go on and then introduced themselves. Then, they asked me questions on my goal, research, willingness to do multidisciplinary projects, and so on. Lastly, I had chances to ask about things. It was my very first interview and so I pretty messed it up.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain one of your theoretical paper to general audience?   Answer Question

Facilities Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RAND.

Interview

Professional dress attire and 2 separate interviews if you pass the first. Meeting with supervisor and going to a private conference room. Overview of position and details of day to day operations. Follow up interview if the first goes well.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult situation and how have you in the past at another job.   Answer Question

Project Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crystal City, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at RAND (Crystal City, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was very simple and over the phone. As I was an employee referral they dispensed with the standard foolish questions and only asked me about my previous experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe the problems you encountered in Security Assistance   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Difficult to coordinate everyone you need to interview with which can draw out the process. You speak with the hiring manager first and then he/she will coordinate interviews with everyone you will work. The interviews will be on separate days and many can be via the phone. Everyone I met with was extremely nice, despite being a high paced company everyone took their time with the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions you are asked for this type of position   Answer Question

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process was fairly straight forward and the team interviewing me seemed knowledgable of what the job candidate needed to be. The pre screening was simple enough on the phone. The interviewers were complimentary to my experience via my resume and my graphic design skills.

Interview Questions

• They asked what types of development tools you use? And a somewhat trick question of "what is a z-index?". It seems like an easy question to get basic html experience answers but it was odd.   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

First I had a phone screen. Then, a few days later, I went in for a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager, three of his colleagues, and finally, a brief stop to an HR person. On the face of it, I seemed to be a perfect fit for their stated requirements. The manager said they were looking for someone eager to learn new technologies, explain them, and demo them to various parties. Well, no-one loves to learn new technology and can explain them better than I can! They were a bit behind the times, just starting to move to AWS, for instance. Also, they were just starting to look at using Hadoop, which seemed a little behind the times for a research organization that analyzed data. The manager explained to me that the old CIO had allowed deep attrition during the whole sequestration debacle within the government. Now they were looking to expand staffing again. The interviews did not press me or place me under any kind of stress. They had expressed some concern to the staffing recruiter that I had a consulting background, and perhaps they were afraid I wouldn't stay there in their organization for the long term. They "deliberated" about the interview for two days, so they must have struggled with some issue. Or perhaps some liked me and others didn't. At any rate, they didn't proceed to the next level, which would have been a second face-to-face, where I met some of the research developers.

Interview Questions

• To explain something which I had architected, so they could see the thought process and approach.   1 Answer