RAND Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 6, 2017

58 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and interviewed months later. There were a number of thirty-minute interviews in quick succession, with various researchers who all seemed quite interesting. I got an offer very soon after.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online in early June. Brief phone interview with HR in early July. Then all-day interviews in early August. Two weeks later, HR called and said they were offering the position to an internal candidate. Two months later, they still have not sent the official email they said they would send, closing out the position. Expect everything to operate on "academic time." If they had an internal candidate for the position, they should have just promoted him instead of wasting everyone's time and energy on these fake interviews meant to fulfill some kind of legal obligation to say "we reviewed a diverse range of outside candidates!" before doing what they were 90% sure they were going to do in the first place, give the job to someone they already know. Because seriously, unless they want their internal person to leave, they're going to give him the position. Or, at the very least, they could note that an internal candidate has applied for the position so that outside candidates won't bother wasting their time. But that would be playing fair and why does any employer need to do that, in this job market. I noticed that the actual job offers noted here are for Researchers or for junior-level positions. The more senior positions that require experience are probably being filled by internal candidates, so beware. It might be good interview practice, in any case.

Interview Questions

• Fairly standard questions like, "Tell me about yourself," "What is your greatest strength?" and "How did you deal with a challenging situation?"   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Interview consisted of a full day of 15-30min conversations with individual researchers and a lunch with Research Assistants. Additionally, there were meetings with security personnel and HR. The day was very easy and pleasant, interviewers in my experience were much more interested in appraising how I think than quizzing me on minor details.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain and discuss various research projects I had worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Research Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied directly online. Was contacted out of the blue by someone in HR. The conversation went a little too long but the interviewer was friendly. Then scheduled a follow-up 30-minute phone call with a technical team leader. Had to also speak with the group director before an on-site interview would be scheduled.

An all day interview proceeded from 8-5, meeting with policy researchers, programmers, and other technical staff. Understandably this was around the holidays so scheduling may have not been ideal. Some were in person but many were using video conference or phone calls to other offices. It was nice of them to treat me to lunch.

It sounds like they have had difficulty attracting/retaining technical and younger employees. The workplace atmosphere was very quiet and most employees had been there 10+ years. I believe the majority of the team was located in other offices around the country. 2 weeks following the interview they were still dithering with background checks (may have needed a security clearance) and references. I had a better offer where the benefits were better and felt more appreciated. The inflexible interview process made me feel like this was a top heavy institution. Researchers seem to hold all of the power because they bring in the money. Software engineers don't want to worry about the internal labor market experiement.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a scheduling/optimization problem around a military resource model?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RAND.

Interview

Given all I learned, RAND seems like a great place to work with very smart people doing interesting research to impact policy. My experiences - all of which were extremely positive - are based on an initial phone interview and an in-person interview to one of their offices. Had I gotten an offer, I definitely would have taken it!

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of questions about my current and future research interests, methodological training, and experience with various statistical techniques and software packages.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at RAND in March 2017.

Interview

I had a preliminary phone interview with a researcher first (about 30 min). I was then invited to a full day of interviews with other researchers, plus a job talk. Overall, the experience was fairly straightforward. It's interesting to meet and talk with other researchers. The interviews themselves were a mix of phone and face to face. Similarly, attendance at the job talk is both phone and face to face.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RAND in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position online, and received a call/phone screening from the Operations Manager the next day. The call was very casual and its purpose seemed mainly to confirm my interest/compatibility with the position. I was then requested to complete a skills exam, which tested clerical proofreading and familiarity with several Microsoft Office programs. After passing these I was offered a phone interview, which consisted of two 30-minute interviews, and was conducted about a week after my initial application. The final stages involved two 30-minute in-person interviews, and a background/reference check. I was offered the position about three weeks after submitting my application.

Interview Questions

• What would be your priorities in making travel arrangements for an employee?
      What would you do if two employees asked you to complete a task for the same deadline, which you wouldn't be able to meet?   Answer Question

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

3 phone interviews and an in-person interview.

Recruiter was too involved, spoke with him on the phone for at least 4 hours. Recruiter gives false hope and would recommend email communication with him. Clarify to the recruiter to check job references only after the job is offered.

Interviews were easy. Basic behavioral and situational questions. Coding aspect of the interview was not hard if you know basic HTML/CSS. Nobody seemed happy to be there.

Interview Questions

• Code a simple website layout.   1 Answer

Telephone Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at RAND (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Quick phone call about position. Asked to come in for group interview with 7 others. 3 interviewers total. We talked about relevant past experience, our schedules (since it was part time work) and answered a couple questions about telephone experience. Computer exercise at the end using their computer system. It was pretty straight forward and had full instructions to follow screens.

Interview Questions

• What relevant past experience do you have for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, contract work

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at RAND (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews - one with the associate director of research programming and one with the director. Each lasted half an hour. First they asked me questions about my experience with data analysis and then I was given the opportunity to answer questions. The first interview was very rapid fire and I was required to stay on my toes and not be flustered. The second interview also kept me on my toes but was more challenging - even after every question I asked the interviewer to find out about the company, the director would end with a "We're looking for a person that works very efficiently - does this sound like the right type of environment for you?". It seemed as if they were waiting for me to falter and say no. They turned me down because they wanted someone with more experience.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe your statistical analysis experience.
      2. Would you be a good team player?
      3. RAND is a fast paced environment in which acquisition of new skills constantly is a must. Would you be a good candidate to work in this type of an environment.

They also asked for a sample of SAS code that I had created.   Answer Question