RAND Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2017

2.9

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

Emailed out of the blue to come interview. Didn't give a job listing description for the specific RA position. Spoke with 8 people throughout the day, including lunch with a Senior Researcher. Some interviews were over the phone. Also spoke with security and a researcher who gave an overview of the company. Typical behavioral questions. Will take a while to hear back regarding decision.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for RAND

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and interviewed months later. There were a number of thirty-minute interviews in quick succession, with various researchers who all seemed quite interesting. I got an offer very soon after.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Interview consisted of a full day of 15-30min conversations with individual researchers and a lunch with Research Assistants. Additionally, there were meetings with security personnel and HR. The day was very easy and pleasant, interviewers in my experience were much more interested in appraising how I think than quizzing me on minor details.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain and discuss various research projects I had worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RAND in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted about 2 months after I applied online. When I went to RAND, I spoke with a series of research scientists and was asked to discuss my thesis, the writing sample I had submitted, and talk through my research experience. Everyone was very friendly, it wasn't a normal behavioral interview at all. I had a lot of friendly conversations about my interests and experience. I also had lunch with current employees in the position I was applying for. It was a very nice experience all-around; I was disappointed not to receive the offer a month later.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain why I chose specific statistical analyses in the data analysis section of my thesis. I wrote it and spent a lot of time on it, so I didn't struggle responding. The research scientist asked detailed follow up questions about specific analyses I mentioned.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was very straightforward. I applied online, was contacted within three weeks about coming to DC for an interview, and interviewed the next month for the position. The interview was conducted over the course of one day, with 8 30-minute one-on-one interviews with research directors, as well as a lunch with individuals who had the position for which I applied. I was very impressed by everyone who interviewed me and found the process smooth and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• I was asked by several interviews to name specific projects/reports published by RAND and analyze their content, as well as provide my own opinion on the research.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really room for negotiation, but the offer was very fair.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process involved a full day of multiple interviews with research staff on site in California: 3 interviews in the morning, a lunch, then 3 interviews in the afternoon. I was asked about my interests, what drew me to RAND, my research, and what I'd like to accomplish after my term (RAs are hired for a specified period of time).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at RAND? What are your specific research interests at RAND?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in June 2011.

Interview

Interviews with several PIs about general projects and expertise. Answered basic questions about what I was interesting in, and my existing research projects in college. PIs mostly were senior researchers with whom I would be working.

Interview Questions

• What is the most pressing question for national security in the next five years   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in May 2008.

Interview

All-day interview meeting with all levels of people, from HR to Research Assistants and Researchers. Everyone is very polite and encouraging and wants to see what you bring to the table and if you are a good fit with the culture. While everyone is very busy with their own work the atmosphere is very cooperative and you get the feeling that they love what they do.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your research experience, educational background, etc. Pretty standard but thorough.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Did not get an interview - but would like to comment on my experience as an applicant.
    It seems there is no updating/feedback process in place. After calling up multiple times to get status updates on my application it still was not possible to receive information about whether I was being considered or even a simple update on the process. I was told to hear from them but nothing came from it.
    I can understand that application processes can take longer, but I think the overall process would improve if applicants would be kept informed; especially since they also have to meet many requirements, e.g.: providing a writing sample.
    If an applicant puts time and effort in an application, I think RAND (Cambridge branch) should do the same.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RAND in January 2010.

Interview

Seemed pro forma and that they were required to post the position but already had someone they wanted to hire. Totally uninterested , box checking, no response to topics/questions/attempt at any convo. Came away with the impression that job was posted strictly for CYA purposes. Clubby.