RAND Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RAND Research Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2017

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RAND.

Interview

Given all I learned, RAND seems like a great place to work with very smart people doing interesting research to impact policy. My experiences - all of which were extremely positive - are based on an initial phone interview and an in-person interview to one of their offices. Had I gotten an offer, I definitely would have taken it!

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of questions about my current and future research interests, methodological training, and experience with various statistical techniques and software packages.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for RAND

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at RAND in March 2017.

Interview

I had a preliminary phone interview with a researcher first (about 30 min). I was then invited to a full day of interviews with other researchers, plus a job talk. Overall, the experience was fairly straightforward. It's interesting to meet and talk with other researchers. The interviews themselves were a mix of phone and face to face. Similarly, attendance at the job talk is both phone and face to face.

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at RAND in March 2015.

Interview

Applied on website with no response, then was contacted almost a year later when I wasn't really looking anymore, but I went ahead with it. Phone call with a director, followed by an onsite day. Typical research interview, centered on a 60-90 minute seminar talk, and several 1-on-1s but no test-like questions. Everyone was very friendly and had good questions and comments during my talk, although most of them were in the other offices and only called in remotely. They asked for two more phone calls after the interview, the second over a month later. Eventually got an offer but not competitive with my existing job, and the work seemed too focused on defense policy reports instead of academic-style research. They move extremely slowly and are fairly rigid on your placement and salary (essentially going by "PhD in field X with Y years of experience," where X can matter a lot). I declined in the end, but the people were understanding and I still enjoyed meeting them and learning about the place.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, then back-to-back meetings with 6 staff members. The staff were good listeners, asked smart questions and let me know that it was a great place to work. I set some boundaries early on by saying that I needed work-life balance and that was very much supported.

Interview Questions

• Describe the process you would undertake for this specific project and they system your would put in place to carry it out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I named a price and they countered with something very close. Plus, the benefits are amazing. 4 weeks vacation with bonus pay for actually taking the days, plus they contribute 10%-14% of your salary to retirement!

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RAND in December 2009.

Interview

Professional acquaintance called and pitched the position to me, invited me to send a resume and writing sample. I did so. I was invited to fly out for day-long interview (standard in my field) with seminar and several interviews including a lunch interview. Just a minor complaint: for a coast-to-coast flyout they should have offered to take me to dinner too but did not.

Unique to this organization is participation in teleconferences with offices in other locations. Teleconference equipment was state of the art and very effective, almost like being there.

All the travel arrangements and logistics were smooth and professional.

Interviewees should mainly do their homework on the organization and the position, like with any job.

Research Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RAND in January 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by the department head and interviewed by two within the department

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to move to that specific city   1 Answer