RAND Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

RAND Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.8

Project Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crystal City, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at RAND (Crystal City, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was very simple and over the phone. As I was an employee referral they dispensed with the standard foolish questions and only asked me about my previous experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe the problems you encountered in Security Assistance   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was very straightforward. I applied online, was contacted within three weeks about coming to DC for an interview, and interviewed the next month for the position. The interview was conducted over the course of one day, with 8 30-minute one-on-one interviews with research directors, as well as a lunch with individuals who had the position for which I applied. I was very impressed by everyone who interviewed me and found the process smooth and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• I was asked by several interviews to name specific projects/reports published by RAND and analyze their content, as well as provide my own opinion on the research.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really room for negotiation, but the offer was very fair.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very easy. No behavioral interviewing questions or much prodding. More selling the organization to me and asking me about my other jobs. Very long process and took 3 months to make offer because of other business challenges.

Interview Questions

• What is the reason for the short time frames with your last few employers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. Was happy with the offer.

Senior Research Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Long, full-day interview with many knowledgeable employees. They were very interested in my skill set but were not very forthcoming in describing their work environment or the details of the role I was applying for. While I knew I would be joining a smart company, I was not sure I would have enjoyed the "fit".

Interview Questions

• They asked many detailed questions about my knowledge of certain datasets and the types of policy questions that the data were used to answer. The questions they asked were very skillful in determining whether my skill set was to be of good use there.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in June 2011.

Interview

Interviews with several PIs about general projects and expertise. Answered basic questions about what I was interesting in, and my existing research projects in college. PIs mostly were senior researchers with whom I would be working.

Interview Questions

• What is the most pressing question for national security in the next five years   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in August 2010.

Interview

One primary interview, followed by three with researchers

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in July 2009.

Interview

I applied online in December 2008 and got a call from RAND in the spring of 2009. I was interviewed over the phone, then had to pass a computer-based test on my skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, typing, proofreading, etc. I passed and got a second call to come in for an interview. Three researchers interviewed me, each separately; all three of them were very enthusiastic and cordial. A few days later I got an offer which I couldn't refuse. RAND offers great benefits (health insurance, 15 vacation days a year, retirement plan) and has a very friendly work environment.