RAND Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.9

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Health Policy Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was efficient and organized. I applied online to a PhD level researcher position. Within four weeks of submitting my online application, I had a 45 minute phone interview with a researcher in DC. The interviewer was a senior member of RAND who worked on research areas that were similar to mine. He was very polite and professional. Note: I do not know the outcome of the interview yet because more steps will be required (i.e., fly out with full day interview, if offered to do so) to know their final decision.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and interviewed months later. There were a number of thirty-minute interviews in quick succession, with various researchers who all seemed quite interesting. I got an offer very soon after.

Research Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied directly online. Was contacted out of the blue by someone in HR. The conversation went a little too long but the interviewer was friendly. Then scheduled a follow-up 30-minute phone call with a technical team leader. Had to also speak with the group director before an on-site interview would be scheduled.

An all day interview proceeded from 8-5, meeting with policy researchers, programmers, and other technical staff. Understandably this was around the holidays so scheduling may have not been ideal. Some were in person but many were using video conference or phone calls to other offices. It was nice of them to treat me to lunch.

It sounds like they have had difficulty attracting/retaining technical and younger employees. The workplace atmosphere was very quiet and most employees had been there 10+ years. I believe the majority of the team was located in other offices around the country. 2 weeks following the interview they were still dithering with background checks (may have needed a security clearance) and references. I had a better offer where the benefits were better and felt more appreciated. The inflexible interview process made me feel like this was a top heavy institution. Researchers seem to hold all of the power because they bring in the money. Software engineers don't want to worry about the internal labor market experiement.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a scheduling/optimization problem around a military resource model?   Answer Question

Project Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crystal City, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at RAND (Crystal City, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was very simple and over the phone. As I was an employee referral they dispensed with the standard foolish questions and only asked me about my previous experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe the problems you encountered in Security Assistance   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was very straightforward. I applied online, was contacted within three weeks about coming to DC for an interview, and interviewed the next month for the position. The interview was conducted over the course of one day, with 8 30-minute one-on-one interviews with research directors, as well as a lunch with individuals who had the position for which I applied. I was very impressed by everyone who interviewed me and found the process smooth and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• I was asked by several interviews to name specific projects/reports published by RAND and analyze their content, as well as provide my own opinion on the research.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really room for negotiation, but the offer was very fair.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very easy. No behavioral interviewing questions or much prodding. More selling the organization to me and asking me about my other jobs. Very long process and took 3 months to make offer because of other business challenges.

Interview Questions

• What is the reason for the short time frames with your last few employers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. Was happy with the offer.

Senior Research Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Long, full-day interview with many knowledgeable employees. They were very interested in my skill set but were not very forthcoming in describing their work environment or the details of the role I was applying for. While I knew I would be joining a smart company, I was not sure I would have enjoyed the "fit".

Interview Questions

• They asked many detailed questions about my knowledge of certain datasets and the types of policy questions that the data were used to answer. The questions they asked were very skillful in determining whether my skill set was to be of good use there.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in June 2011.

Interview

Interviews with several PIs about general projects and expertise. Answered basic questions about what I was interesting in, and my existing research projects in college. PIs mostly were senior researchers with whom I would be working.

Interview Questions

• What is the most pressing question for national security in the next five years   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in August 2010.

Interview

One primary interview, followed by three with researchers

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in July 2009.

Interview

I applied online in December 2008 and got a call from RAND in the spring of 2009. I was interviewed over the phone, then had to pass a computer-based test on my skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, typing, proofreading, etc. I passed and got a second call to come in for an interview. Three researchers interviewed me, each separately; all three of them were very enthusiastic and cordial. A few days later I got an offer which I couldn't refuse. RAND offers great benefits (health insurance, 15 vacation days a year, retirement plan) and has a very friendly work environment.