REI Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 3, 2017

2.4

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Englewood, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

This was one of the most fun interviews I have ever had. After a short phone interview, I was asked to come in for two hours for a group interview.

There were about 16 people there. After an introduction about the company, the lovely employees introduced themselves and asked us why we chose REI among some other questions. We broke up into teams for various games and reflection. It was really fun and relaxed. It felt less like we were competing against each other and more like we were showing how we can interact as a team.

I love this company already!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Lynnwood, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

This was a huge, disappointing waste of my time. The store manager explained that REI does group interviews because it is a social job and one is required to strike up conversation with strangers in order to sell product. Group interviews are a waste of MANY of the interviewees. I wonder, of the 20 people that were at just the one group interview, how many were offered the job (they never said). Several were highly qualified (years of retail and even supervising experience) if they were going to go with those people, why not just narrow it down and invite them to a one on one interview? This was extremely discouraging to someone who has been job searching for months, with a college degree, and apparently I'm not qualified to make $10 an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Huntington Beach, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Group interview took about 2 hours where went through powerpoint and that lead into roleplaying. Roleplaying was pretty awkward having to talk over others. Definitely need to make effort to speak but also be comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Role playing, asking Manager (role as customer) how can I help you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Falls Church, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

Smooth process, it was a good experience, relatively easy interview, nice and competent management, great environment, through question, relatively easy, they know what they were going to ask and are fairly forgiving to mistakes made

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Submitted online resume followed by a phone interview. After the phone interview, eligible applicants are invited to attend a group interview. The group interview is actually enjoyable. Being a somewhat introverted, shy person, I was fearful that my stage fright would get the best of me, but it was very comfortable. They split you up into groups and assign you scenarios to work through with your co-interviewees. Just had the interview today.

Interview Questions

• Think of a time in which you received unsatisfactory customer service and how you would have handled it better.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Arlington, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online and heard back a few days later. The interview staff were very friendly and welcoming. A phone interview took place initially with questions like why do you want to work at REI? What interests you about the outdoors? After the phone interview, an in person interview took place with more in depth questions. All of the staff appeared friendly and the environment seemed non intimidating. The interview process was a great first impression of the company.

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at REI (Fresno, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online and got called in for an in-person interview. Met with two supervisors for the interview. Very easy customer service based questions, nothing at all out of the ordinary. Was called back a few days later for a second interview with one of the sake supervisors and a second new one. Same thing for this one as well.

They are now doing group interviews at this location instead.

Interview Questions

• Nothing challenging at all; explain a time where a customer was irritated and what you did to make them happy, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at REI (Sacramento, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Ive done a couple, they vary. Ive done group interviews with people that have their pHd applying. It took me 4 times to get the job. They want people with full availability. I think its a waste applying if you have another job. However, its tough to stay afloat without another job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I was one of 150 applicants for 15 cashier positions that opened up for holiday sales. I made the first cut to the second round of roughly 50 candidates. The job posting appeared on Craig's List. The instructions were confusing and it was difficult to find the right steps to take to fulfill all the application requirements.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Bozeman, MT) in July 2011.

Interview

Apply Online, Phone interview, Group interview