REI Customer Service Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 31, 2017

2.4

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Arcadia, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Appiled on 9/5/2016. Phone interview. Asked 1. Tell me about yourself. 2. Do you have any experience with customer service or retail? 3. Why REI? 4. What do you like to do outdoors? Brief in person interview 1. Tell me a time when you handled a difficult customer. 2. What are you doing to give back to the community? 3. What are your hobbies? 4. Tell me a time when you have to persuade someone to do something or buy something.

It was a pleasant experience and the phone interviewer and the manager that I spoke with for in person interview was pleasant and kind. We talked about our love of cycling because I mentioned I have been riding my bike since I was 8 years old and fixing my clunker bicycle for more than 10 years. I was bought to the back of the store to meet the other managers. No group interview this time because rush hiring season

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me a time when you handled a difficult customer.
    2. What are you doing to give back to the community?
    3. What are your hobbies?
    4. Tell me a time when you have to persuade someone to do something or buy something.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

First interview was over the phone with a manager. The second interview was in person with two managers in store. Be prepared to talk about your experiences outdoors and also be familiar with REI's company culture. The reason I want to work for REI is because....

Interview Questions

• Basic questions to get to know you as a person, accomplishments, weaknesses, and long term goals.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Sandy, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Presentation and notes taken on knowledge of REI. Split into groups. What does customer service mean to you? We came up with an answer and picked a presenter as a group. Be yourself and if you truly are passionate about the outdoors and helping people get out they will notice. Some people tried to get louder and talk when staff came around to take notes, which was a little weird and awkward. I volunteered to present. Made sure I was clear and concise and tried to include my group in my presentation because we all gave some good stuff. Be yourself and be confident in speaking. If you are honest about your passion you will shine without trying.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

They held a group interview for us with four other people than myself. It was about three hours long, but they made it fun and try to make you feel relaxed so you don't feel too nervous. At first they told us about the company, then there were group activities that made it fun, and then they do solo interviews at the end. Overall a great experience.

Interview Questions

• What kind of people do you associate yourself with?   1 Answer

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI in November 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position online, and then I received a questionnaire with 6 questions to fill out. Three days after I sent the questionnaire back to them, I was invited to an in-person interview. The in-person interview took less than 30 minutes, and the interviewer was nice and courteous.

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Boulder, CO) in October 2015.

Interview

there was a group interview, we had to sell things to each other, there were alot of people there, it was about 2 hours long, there was then a face to face one on one interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at REI (Knoxville, TN) in October 2015.

Interview

I had a group 2 hr. interview with 14 other people and with 5 managers. They did a round where each person shared they're favorite outdoor activity and why you wanted to work at REI (which was the only time throughout the group interview that I had to taught my pervious experience and why I should be hired, so capitalize on your opportunity). We then watched a lengthy presentation that had lots of "what do y'all think of that" discussion points throughout.

We also had a couple icebreaker type games and a game where we had to try and sell a ballpoint pen to a partner and the partner then tried to sell us a paperclip.

Unlike many of the reviewers who posted on Glassdoor, we did not have individual interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite outdoor activity and why do you want to work at REI.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Tustin, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Received a phone screen interview first, which was mainly focused on experience in customer service, what it means, and experience with outdoor recreation (interests, hobbies, expertise). After that they scheduled me for a group interview along with 20 or so people at the store. The group interview gives an overview of the company and requires you to work in groups of 4 or 5 to do different activities--making posters, performing skits/songs, etc. that centered on customer service and the spirit of REI. There were about 4 REI mangers/employees in the room taking notes and leading sections of the process. Really laid back and fun.

Interview Questions

• Given different scenarios with customers in the store and as a group we had to decide how to respond effectively.   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Interview

It was over the phone and very friendly. I spoke with two managers twice and they spoke with me about my previous experiences with the company as well as what I would like to get out of working with REI.

Interview Questions

• They asked me my strengths and weaknesses. They also asked me about prior work at REI, what I wanted from working there, etc., and told me what they thought I might enjoy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation but the hiring staff were clear about what my salary would be. Again, everyone was very friendly.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

They changed the interview process since I started. I applied in person and they called me the next day to set up an interview with the assistant store manager. It was 1:1. Now, it is a group interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at REI?
      What do you like to do outdoors?   Answer Question