REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

REI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Lynnwood, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and attended group interview at Alderwood location. Friendly store leadership team lead group in discussion of company history and basics. Then broke out into three groups and answered questions. One person reported the groups response after each breakout.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Group interview (group of folks getting interviewed) where we shot the breeze about trips we had taken, what the REI purpose means, etc. One of the last things we did was "sell" the group a piece of gear that was in the room. Pretty laid back for the most part, but never confuse that for a reason to not be professional. It's a pretty competitive process so act like you want it.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your favorite trip and why should we go there?   Answer Question

Environmental Health and Safety Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied to the role on REI's website. Received a request for a telephone screen approximately 3 weeks after applying. Received a call from the recruiter and discussed my qualifications. Answered some behavior based questions. The recruiter stated that she would put my resume in front of the hiring manager and would get back with me to schedule a telephone interview with the hiring manager. I never heard back from the recruiter. I sent a thank you email and checked-in on the hiring process for the role, but never received a response!

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Large hiring event (~200 people), during which I was interviewed for 5 minutes, followed by a small group interview, where my ability to work as part of a team was assessed. Hiring managers were extremely pleasant to work with, and made the process enjoyable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Fresno, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

First I received an email explaining that if I was interested in applying. The next step was a -group Interview with about 8 other people, an individual interview was offered next which was with the store manger and another associate.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

You apply online. If you have a referral from another employee, the online application is when you submit it. My store performed group interviews. Candidates who were hired were called back promptly and offered their position pending a background check. The starting wage was decently above minimum.

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online on a Saturday and received a call for a phone interview on Monday. I was invited to a group interview the next weekend. The interview was actually pretty fun with an easy-going and upbeat atmosphere. The fifteen of us were split into three groups of 5 and we participated in various activities while the managers walked around and observed. The activities had to do with the company motto, dealing with customers, and designing the perfect tent. The interview lasted about 2 hours and we were told we would be notified one way or the other within 2 weeks. I received a call the next day and offered the position starting 2 weeks later. All in all a pretty fun and painless hiring procedure.

Interview Questions

• Discuss what real, alive, and connected mean to you and present to the rest of the group.   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI in March 2017.

Interview

After a brief phone interview, I was invited to come to the store for a group interview the following week. There were about 20 other candidates in the room. We all introduced ourselves, and then broke into smaller groups for some activities. The whole process was fun, relaxed, and informal. We all got the opportunity to interact with a few different store managers and also with a handful of other people also applying for the positions. There were discussions about the co-op structure and values, what makes for great customer service, and some practice selling items to each other. The whole thing lasted a little over an hour, and there were no right answers. The staff just wants to see how well you interact with other people.

Interview Questions

• As an outdoor retailer, how would you address a customer's fears and anxieties about going camping for the first time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First round is a basic phone screen followed by a group interview in the store the following weekend. The managers will run the group through the history, and ideology of REI. After that you'll run through several improvisational situations/skits where you rephrase the core ideology into a sales format. It's a bit silly, but probably a good a way as any for management to see if you're compatible with the store.

Interview Questions

• What outdoor activities do you enjoy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Knoxville, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

Group Interview including several group activities. Little to no questions regarding any product knowledge nor retail experience. From my perspective REI cares little about prior knowledge and experience and has complete confidence in their training. In fact it appeared to me they almost preferred those that were more of a tabula rasa type where they could train them into exactly what they want them to be. It's a great situation for those who are looking at getting into Outdoor Retail but I feel it is pretty limiting for those with experience in the field. I do respect putting everyone on a level playing field, but not certain this works in all situations. For example, when I went in to the store to turn in a resume, I was there for half an hour and not one employee spoke to me. I was about to just leave when I saw someone who appeared to be a manager and I approached her. Everyone there is nice enough but for an operation that seems so confident in their process and their dedication to customer service as a Co Op, I'm not certain the group interview leads to the best result in all cases. But like I said, hard to argue with their success.

Interview Questions

• Sell this Highlighter to the person across from you   1 Answer