REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.5

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Invited to a Hiring Event after applying. About 150 people attended. Given information about the positions available and did a 15 minute 1:1 interview with a staff member. Invited for a follow-up group interview. 12 people in group interview, lasted almost 2 hours and was all group activities, no 1:1 conversations with a hiring manager during the group interview. Was offered a Cashier position, which was not the position I originally applied for.

Interview Questions

• -Write down three different ways you would greet someone coming into the store.
      -Create a new type of tent with your group of 3 people and then present/'sell' your tent idea to the rest of the group
      -Sell this pen to the person across from you   Answer Question

REI Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at REI (New York, NY).

Interview

It was an online interview with about 7 questions all Behavioral based and then a few on REI. It wasn't hard at all and then they asked for an in-person interview held on my school campus

Interview Questions

• "What about REI made you want to apply for this internship   Answer Question

Stocking Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Denver, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

I went into a store talked to a manager and dropped off a resume. Called back to check in. Talked to a friend that works with REI and was recommended for a "Friends and Family" temp. seasonal position. Basically a way to hire a small amount of people for the holiday crush.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at REI in October 2016.

Interview

I was given a brief phone interview then invited for an in person group interview. The interview consisted of group introductions and group discussions that were presented. Sales skill was tested by having us sell products to one another.

Merchandising Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

First round interview is online and you talk to your computer. It asked 7 questions that were almost all related to REI. Not many typical questions that you would usually had, which made this interview more challenging than most.

Interview Questions

• If you sold 100,000 backpacks this year, how many should you forecast for next year?   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Arcadia, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Appiled on 9/5/2016. Phone interview. Asked 1. Tell me about yourself. 2. Do you have any experience with customer service or retail? 3. Why REI? 4. What do you like to do outdoors? Brief in person interview 1. Tell me a time when you handled a difficult customer. 2. What are you doing to give back to the community? 3. What are your hobbies? 4. Tell me a time when you have to persuade someone to do something or buy something.

It was a pleasant experience and the phone interviewer and the manager that I spoke with for in person interview was pleasant and kind. We talked about our love of cycling because I mentioned I have been riding my bike since I was 8 years old and fixing my clunker bicycle for more than 10 years. I was bought to the back of the store to meet the other managers. No group interview this time because rush hiring season

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me a time when you handled a difficult customer.
      2. What are you doing to give back to the community?
      3. What are your hobbies?
      4. Tell me a time when you have to persuade someone to do something or buy something.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI (Tustin, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of two parts: 1) A presentation 2) group tasks. The presentation gave a backstory about the managers experience working for REI and then led into the history and basic principles that define the company. Part 2 was the group interview portion, which lasted for about 1 hour. We began doing a simple ice breaker game and then constructing three group presentations. The groups were rotated freely after each presentation. The first presentation topic was to describe/perform/depict what the phrase "real, alive, community" meant to us. The second topic dealt with a customer service scenario where you were the only staff member assigned to an area in the store with an abundance of customers in need of assistance; how do you respond? The third topic was to design and present the tent of your dreams.
    The atmosphere was extremely fun and relaxed. The managers are walking around taking notes as the presentations are being discussed, presumably looking for qualities indicative of team players or leaders. The presentation themselves were mainly a way of seeing how you interface with other people. Individuals with past retail experience made sure to showcase those skills. Something I should have done which nobody else did, was promote the co-op in the skits to show that you are comfortable asking people to join and then explaining the benefits.

Interview Questions

• 1) Where would you go if you could travel anywhere? Why?
      2) Tell us what you think "real, alive, community" means to you.
      3) How do you respond if you have 6 customers in need of assistance and you are the only staff member available?
      4) What is your dream tent?   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

This was a group interview. There were approximately 50 candidates present. They separated us into groups and asked us to work together and present answers to the group.

Retail Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Tustin, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Group interview. They did a bunch of brain storming ideas within different groups and carefully monitored the process. There were no definite questions, but carefully observed actions of interviewers. They were looking for how interviewers communicate with each other as they resolve complex questions and scenarios. Interviewers can do them in skits, or present the ideas normally.

Interview Questions

• Describe on a busy day how you still obtain highest level of customer service.   1 Answer

IT Systems Monitoring Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online via Monster or some such, and got an email a few months later for a phone interview. Very curteous and professional HR staff. Discussed salary requirements right away to avoid wasting anyone's time.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have coding and scripting for monitoring systems integration?   1 Answer