REI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 29, 2017

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with the HR. Then I was invited to the store to join an in-person group interview. The staff asked several questions while having the applicants to take turn to answer those questions. Then we broke up in groups to discuss. The interview ended with selling randomly picked items to showcase one's sales skill.

Interview Questions

• 1) Why REI?
      2) Why and/or customer service?
      3) Any prior sales and/or customer service experience?

Supply Chain Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

3 Panel interviews on same day. Questions were almost all personality/characteristic based. Environment was welcoming and not intimidating but they expect you to have a clear understanding of what value you can add to the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to demonstrate leadership in a working environment?   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goodyear, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at REI (Goodyear, AZ) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a smooth process. Didn't bombard you with everything under the sun. Was looking for employees to place in the correct dept. You were interviewed by 2 different supervisor's from 2 different departments. They didn't pressure you during the whole process. I think that it went well. They were professional.

Finance Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

1/2 day interview schedule. A mix of behavioral and tactical questions. Good communication from the recruiter. Make sure you understand who REI is and that they are a Co-Op. You do not need to be outdoors oriented to work here, but it seems like it would help. Waiting to hear next steps.

Ecommerce Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Started the process by submitting resume on REI website (I am external w/referral). Got a phone interview scheduled with a recruiter a few days later, just going over my resume and background, etc. She ended up scheduling me for a second interview with the hiring manager a few days after that, who asked more system specific and personality specific questions, to find if I was a good fit. Finally, a third interview in person about a week later at their Headquarters in Kent.

Interview Questions

• How would you define the position in your own words?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Cary, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online through their website for a opening. About a week later I got a call from one of the assistant managers and we talked about my hours of availability. Pay rate was also given out right. "are you okay with this per hour?". Then about two weeks later they had me in for an in person interview. Interview was with the same manager from the first phone call and the actual store manager. We sat in the community room. interview was short only lasting about 20 min. Question asked where pretty typical and no "got cha" questions. They didn't call back for almost ten days when they offered me the job. At 10 days out I thought they probably not going to be calling back, but I was offered the job and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation with a costumer that you went above and beyond good costumer service?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Chula Vista, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Group interview with 4 other people, but 5 did not show. 4 interviewers that rotated through questions. most questions were actually group activities and required a lot of participation. Mostly casual in nature.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with a busy frontline area with no prospective back up.   1 Answer
    • why did we choose REI of all companies to apply for   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Quick in getting back to schedule the interview but never responded after the interview where they had asked to follow up on a certain date. After the follow up about thrice through email, they send a mail telling they are moving forward with an internal candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for REI?
      What is the current job duties?
      What is the expected salary?

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Manhattan Beach, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied back in mid-March, and got a phone call with a personality test. They asked why I wanted to work at REI, my availability, and such. Instead of a group interview, I had a 1:1 with the sales lead. He asked me some simple questions about experience, availability, what a co-op was in my opinion, and such. Overall it was very easy and the interview lasted maybe 10-12 minutes.

Less than a week later, I got a phone call notifying me that I was not offered the position. After applying to this same exact store a second time as I did 1 year ago back in 2015, gaining more work and social experience since then, and actually selling myself to attempt to make myself stand out from the crowd of other applicants, only to be turned down (not once, but) TWICE; that sends a clear message as to what kind of people from the management are. The sales lead even remembered me from the first time I applied, but his morbidly condescending demeanor was not in the least bit helpful nor welcoming. Being turned down again after I showed devoted interest by applying a second time and really putting my best foot forward implies that values such as loyalty and experience are not in their best interest. I guess having the ability to climb 14ers, do long backpacking expeditions, Trans-Channel Island expeditions, having a college education and real-world work and social experience just isn't good enough. Who knew?

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you went above and beyond.
      Tell me the last time you dealt with a difficult customer and how you handled it.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Lynnwood, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

This was a huge, disappointing waste of my time. The store manager explained that REI does group interviews because it is a social job and one is required to strike up conversation with strangers in order to sell product. Group interviews are a waste of MANY of the interviewees. I wonder, of the 20 people that were at just the one group interview, how many were offered the job (they never said). Several were highly qualified (years of retail and even supervising experience) if they were going to go with those people, why not just narrow it down and invite them to a one on one interview? This was extremely discouraging to someone who has been job searching for months, with a college degree, and apparently I'm not qualified to make $10 an hour.