REI Interview Questions in Kent, WA | Glassdoor

2.7

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

It was brief. The job was not thoroughly described. I would not have taken the job if it was described accurately. ASK QUESTIONS! Be very specific. They dont really follow their online job descriptions. They people were really nice but thats about it.

Interview Questions

• They listed out their daily 'to do's and asked if that was "ok" for me.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied for the position online through a job board and received an email the next day from the HR recruiter to setup a phone interview. We spoke for an hour a few days later and I sent him a thank you note via email afterwards. I thought the call went well. About a week later I received an email from the recruiter telling me they were moving on "based on the caliber" of candidates that applied to the job. I really took offense to this feedback because it gave the impression that I wasn't good enough when I know that not to be true when my resume has been referred to as impressive. Not that my skills or experience didn't exactly align with the position, but that I wasn't good enough. I let a co-worker read the email and she interpreted it the same way, so I know it wasn't just me. This is the second time I've had a negative experience with these so called "best places to work" companies. It seems like they get a little bit to high on their horse when they get these accolades. In all the rejection emails I have received, never have I felt like I was less than and REI did that to me!

Project Manager, Digital Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied through Web. Got a contact and did call with HR. Followed up and did phone screen with hiring manager. Was asked to do do an on-site interview. Interview was set up a week in advance. Schedule was 11:45 AM - 4 PM:
    - 15 minutes with HR - general intro
    - 1 hour with Hiring manager and a senior project manager with bag lunch. Didn't eat - too busy answering questions
    - 30 minutes to prepare to present on a case that was presented.
    - 1 hour with three people - 2 project managers and a product manager - general intros then presented the case
    - 1 hour with three people - a dev lead, a dev and UX designer - general questions
    - 30 minute with hiring manager's boss and a person on the speaker phone. - General questions

Question were a mix of behavioral and functional.
    Case was to do the initial project plan for introducing a new technology across all the digital areas and stores.

The people were all warm and personable and made me feel comfortable. Felt more like a long discussion than an interview.

I felt it went well, but apparently they didn't :( Got a call 2 business days later that they were not going to offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a team member who is considered senior but who is not performing at expected levels?   Answer Question
    • Sponsor says a new payment technology needs to be fully supported across Web, apps and stores to match a specific date 3 months out. Present your plan. (30 minutes to prepare).   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA).

Interview

What a waste of time. Based on the questions for yoru profile, had HR checked, they would have found out my minimum salary requirements and saved us all a lot of time. My fault also, I assumed they had read my REI profile. Definitely not a good experience

Interview Questions

• What incident did you have to deal with that made you a bit uncomfortable.?   Answer Question

Finance Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

1/2 day interview schedule. A mix of behavioral and tactical questions. Good communication from the recruiter. Make sure you understand who REI is and that they are a Co-Op. You do not need to be outdoors oriented to work here, but it seems like it would help. Waiting to hear next steps.

Ecommerce Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Started the process by submitting resume on REI website (I am external w/referral). Got a phone interview scheduled with a recruiter a few days later, just going over my resume and background, etc. She ended up scheduling me for a second interview with the hiring manager a few days after that, who asked more system specific and personality specific questions, to find if I was a good fit. Finally, a third interview in person about a week later at their Headquarters in Kent.

Interview Questions

• How would you define the position in your own words?   1 Answer

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and within approximately 4 weeks I was called by a recruiter for an initial phone screening. The HR representative (Azizah) was friendly and was interested in what I wanted out of my career with REI in addition to reviewing my qualifications. Following the initial phone screen I had another phone screen with the hiring manager and then two members of the team in a panel interview/phone call. I was asked to come in for an interview, received a campus tour and then met with the hiring team and manager in a set of 30 minute interviews that took roughly 2 hours. The following day I was given an offer and accepted the position. REI is the first company that I have worked for where I truly believe that my career goals, and value to the company have been recognized. If you're looking for a company with great benefits, that values a work-hard, play-hard attitude, look no further!

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

Met with HR, then technical interview with 3 people, then a couple of managers after that. Little disappointed they didn't bother contacting me back after having to go all the way down to Kent then fight I-405 traffic all the way home. Seems to me it would have been courteous to at least let me know , I didn't get the job instead of dead silence after I sent them a thank you email. Even if they came back with an offer, they underpay, and after this experience I'd probably turn them down anyway.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to write a function that would extract all possible english words from a bunch of letter.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA).

Interview

The interview process consisted of a short phone screen with a recruiter, a 30-minute phone interview with the hiring manager, and a two-hour in-person interview with a panel of four developers. The questions in the in-person interview focused on craft (i.e. how have you solved for ____ in the past?), with a few technical JavaScript and CSS questions. It was very straightforward and quick, and the recruiter communicated very well throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you make sure that a new feature does not go live before you want it to?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (Kent, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I had a very strange (weird) experience interview with REI. One of my colleague recommended me and I applied the position through REI website. The recruiter got back to me the next 2 days. We talked about the position and REI then she disappeared after that for about 2 weeks. I got an email from her later indicating that she'll send me a link to do a digital interview. Well, if you haven't heard about digital interview, here's a brief description. You're required to dress up like the real interview and sit in front up a computer that has a camera. You'll be asked questions and you answer to the camera, the application will record your answers and send to the hiring manager or whoever at the end.
    They gave a programming question required me to code in Python and other questions that don't relate to the position I applied. I told the recruiter about that and mentioned to her that I applied for the Java position, not Python. She said she would ask the hiring manager. Then she told me the hiring manager said if I don't know, just answer "I don't know" to the question. What is that? How am I going to pass the interview with that answer?
    At the end of the interview, the application pops up with a survey. I felt like they are doing the test on the application instead of the interview. After that I haven't heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• It's been a while: the Python question to print out something from a String.   Answer Question