REI Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 27, 2017

2.4

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe, NM

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Santa Fe, NM).

Interview

I rate the interview difficult because it involved attending class for a few hours every evening for three weeks or more, learning product, and how to sell and display camping equipment, clothing and footwear, cashier, memberships, company rules and ethics.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to fit a backpack?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Colorado Springs, CO) in September 2017.

Interview

In person interview, very friendly and nice. I received a phone call first and we chatted for a while, then he scheduled an in-store interview for the next day. The interview was very casual and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for REI?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (San Antonio, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview but a very relaxed interview, nothing formal. It was a group interview of about twenty people, we were all invited after undergoing a phone screening to see availability. There were three store managers, they had us sitting in rows randomly with our names on the "Hello My Name Is" stickers. They started off by asking us to individually introduce ourselves to the group by saying your name, what you preferred to be called by, favorite outdoor activities and your greatest customer service experience from a company other than REI. After doing that the managers spent twenty minutes going through a slideshow presentation about what the job entails, the company history and benefits of working their. Then we did a group activity describing good and great customer service and then presented our lists and comparisons to everyone. Then we did a team exercise called "helium" they gave us a ten foot tent pole and told us to lower it the ground after placing it on top of our index fingers, not allowing us to grab it or take our fingers off. Once we completed the task we went to a different group then before and did another exercise where we were given a scenario of a customer asking for help, we got "cycling customer", others got "family camping trip", and "family hiking". The goal was to see how we would interact with the customers and answer their questions and needs, and to see how we would interact with them. After that we were asked to go to a table of items and select an item that interests you, the item you picked you had to sale to another person in the group. We had to find someone with an item we wanted and then went over how they would sale it. Each pair was in the front and did their sales pitch, the goal was to connect with the customer, not to just sale an item. So make conversation about what the person was looking for and present them an item and discuss how the item could be beneficial to what the customer described. Once everyone finished we were free to go.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Large hiring event (~200 people), during which I was interviewed for 5 minutes, followed by a small group interview, where my ability to work as part of a team was assessed. Hiring managers were extremely pleasant to work with, and made the process enjoyable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Fresno, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

First I received an email explaining that if I was interested in applying. The next step was a -group Interview with about 8 other people, an individual interview was offered next which was with the store manger and another associate.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

You apply online. If you have a referral from another employee, the online application is when you submit it. My store performed group interviews. Candidates who were hired were called back promptly and offered their position pending a background check. The starting wage was decently above minimum.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First round is a basic phone screen followed by a group interview in the store the following weekend. The managers will run the group through the history, and ideology of REI. After that you'll run through several improvisational situations/skits where you rephrase the core ideology into a sales format. It's a bit silly, but probably a good a way as any for management to see if you're compatible with the store.

Interview Questions

• What outdoor activities do you enjoy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was very laid back and easy. There was a group interview with about ten other people, which included talking through personal experience with the outdoors and the company values. I heard back in less than a week.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Group interview. You have to get in groups and introduce your group mates to all the interviewers. One question was how good customer service can be archived and what good customer service means.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with the HR. Then I was invited to the store to join an in-person group interview. The staff asked several questions while having the applicants to take turn to answer those questions. Then we broke up in groups to discuss. The interview ended with selling randomly picked items to showcase one's sales skill.

Interview Questions

• 1) Why REI?
      2) Why and/or customer service?
      3) Any prior sales and/or customer service experience?   Answer Question