REI Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

REI Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2017

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

You apply online. If you have a referral from another employee, the online application is when you submit it. My store performed group interviews. Candidates who were hired were called back promptly and offered their position pending a background check. The starting wage was decently above minimum.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First round is a basic phone screen followed by a group interview in the store the following weekend. The managers will run the group through the history, and ideology of REI. After that you'll run through several improvisational situations/skits where you rephrase the core ideology into a sales format. It's a bit silly, but probably a good a way as any for management to see if you're compatible with the store.

Interview Questions

• What outdoor activities do you enjoy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southlake, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at REI (Southlake, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. I called the store's HR to see if they received it and they had; set up an interview time for the following week. Went to store and interviewed with 2 Managers.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral type questions: A time where you went above and beyond. Tell us about a time when you handled an upset customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was very laid back and easy. There was a group interview with about ten other people, which included talking through personal experience with the outdoors and the company values. I heard back in less than a week.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Group interview. You have to get in groups and introduce your group mates to all the interviewers. One question was how good customer service can be archived and what good customer service means.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with the HR. Then I was invited to the store to join an in-person group interview. The staff asked several questions while having the applicants to take turn to answer those questions. Then we broke up in groups to discuss. The interview ended with selling randomly picked items to showcase one's sales skill.

Interview Questions

• 1) Why REI?
      2) Why and/or customer service?
      3) Any prior sales and/or customer service experience?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Cary, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online through their website for a opening. About a week later I got a call from one of the assistant managers and we talked about my hours of availability. Pay rate was also given out right. "are you okay with this per hour?". Then about two weeks later they had me in for an in person interview. Interview was with the same manager from the first phone call and the actual store manager. We sat in the community room. interview was short only lasting about 20 min. Question asked where pretty typical and no "got cha" questions. They didn't call back for almost ten days when they offered me the job. At 10 days out I thought they probably not going to be calling back, but I was offered the job and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation with a costumer that you went above and beyond good costumer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at REI (Denver, CO) in April 2016.

Interview

It is a group interview style and is overwhelming. You have one minute to answer a few questions about yourself in front of other applicants and managers. You then put together a tent with a few other applicants, participate in a role play, and have a chance to sit in smaller groups with managers and ask more personal questions.

Interview Questions

• Where you are from, your best example of customer service, and what your favorite outdoor activity is.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Very straightforward interview with not too many personal questions. Mostly focused on group activities and "roleplaying" scenarios. Not a lot of one on one interaction or opportunities to really display yourself as a good candidate. Seemed mostly focused on customer/team interaction over product knowledge.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

REI recruits from group job fair, and it was followed with one on one interview and then successful candidates are called for group interview. This will be followed with a call to check if the time and hours work with the candidates. If all seems well and good then they are made an offer and will have to go through a background check. The process is fairly simple and lots of young people applies but having an employee referral helps a lot in getting a place through the first group job fair process and move on to the next level.

Interview Questions

• why do you use REI to work for?   1 Answer