REI Sales Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 31, 2017

2.4

94 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

Group Interview, after short telephone screening call. Interviewees watched a presentation on the company and then introduced themselves. People then formed small groups and discussed what great customer service meant, before learning about REI selling method and then used it to sell a product.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at REI? What is great customer service? Sell this item?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI.

Interview

I applied online, 30 people applied for 10 seasonal jobs. Got a call from a store manager who asked me a few questions (mini phone interview) and then invited me for an interview a week later. It was a group interview. 15 people one day and 15 the next. Upon my arrival they made us introduce ourselves. They then talked about the company with a 20 minute power point presentation. Once that was finished they divided us into four groups to pitch a tent. Once that was done they changed up the groups and made us write out some answers on a big piece of paper of some questions that they asked us all as a group. They then made us partner up and sell an item to each other. To finish off the ordeal as a whole group (15) we did a team activity. The whole ordeal took a little over two hours, and was actually very fun.

Interview Questions

• They asked us what our name is, something unique about us, and where our outdoor happy place is.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Lynnwood, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and attended group interview at Alderwood location. Friendly store leadership team lead group in discussion of company history and basics. Then broke out into three groups and answered questions. One person reported the groups response after each breakout.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at REI (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Group interview (group of folks getting interviewed) where we shot the breeze about trips we had taken, what the REI purpose means, etc. One of the last things we did was "sell" the group a piece of gear that was in the room. Pretty laid back for the most part, but never confuse that for a reason to not be professional. It's a pretty competitive process so act like you want it.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your favorite trip and why should we go there?   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI in March 2017.

Interview

After a brief phone interview, I was invited to come to the store for a group interview the following week. There were about 20 other candidates in the room. We all introduced ourselves, and then broke into smaller groups for some activities. The whole process was fun, relaxed, and informal. We all got the opportunity to interact with a few different store managers and also with a handful of other people also applying for the positions. There were discussions about the co-op structure and values, what makes for great customer service, and some practice selling items to each other. The whole thing lasted a little over an hour, and there were no right answers. The staff just wants to see how well you interact with other people.

Interview Questions

• As an outdoor retailer, how would you address a customer's fears and anxieties about going camping for the first time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Knoxville, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

Group Interview including several group activities. Little to no questions regarding any product knowledge nor retail experience. From my perspective REI cares little about prior knowledge and experience and has complete confidence in their training. In fact it appeared to me they almost preferred those that were more of a tabula rasa type where they could train them into exactly what they want them to be. It's a great situation for those who are looking at getting into Outdoor Retail but I feel it is pretty limiting for those with experience in the field. I do respect putting everyone on a level playing field, but not certain this works in all situations. For example, when I went in to the store to turn in a resume, I was there for half an hour and not one employee spoke to me. I was about to just leave when I saw someone who appeared to be a manager and I approached her. Everyone there is nice enough but for an operation that seems so confident in their process and their dedication to customer service as a Co Op, I'm not certain the group interview leads to the best result in all cases. But like I said, hard to argue with their success.

Interview Questions

• Sell this Highlighter to the person across from you   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Invited to a Hiring Event after applying. About 150 people attended. Given information about the positions available and did a 15 minute 1:1 interview with a staff member. Invited for a follow-up group interview. 12 people in group interview, lasted almost 2 hours and was all group activities, no 1:1 conversations with a hiring manager during the group interview. Was offered a Cashier position, which was not the position I originally applied for.

Interview Questions

• -Write down three different ways you would greet someone coming into the store.
      -Create a new type of tent with your group of 3 people and then present/'sell' your tent idea to the rest of the group
      -Sell this pen to the person across from you   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

This was a group interview. There were approximately 50 candidates present. They separated us into groups and asked us to work together and present answers to the group.

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Alpharetta, GA) in July 2016.

Interview

Short phone call then invited for in store interview with manager. Asked why rei. Talked schedule and availability and training. Discussed minimum and maximum hours to work. Overall a great short and sweet interview that ended with an in person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Manhattan Beach, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied back in mid-March, and got a phone call with a personality test. They asked why I wanted to work at REI, my availability, and such. Instead of a group interview, I had a 1:1 with the sales lead. He asked me some simple questions about experience, availability, what a co-op was in my opinion, and such. Overall it was very easy and the interview lasted maybe 10-12 minutes.

Less than a week later, I got a phone call notifying me that I was not offered the position. After applying to this same exact store a second time as I did 1 year ago back in 2015, gaining more work and social experience since then, and actually selling myself to attempt to make myself stand out from the crowd of other applicants, only to be turned down (not once, but) TWICE; that sends a clear message as to what kind of people from the management are. The sales lead even remembered me from the first time I applied, but his morbidly condescending demeanor was not in the least bit helpful nor welcoming. Being turned down again after I showed devoted interest by applying a second time and really putting my best foot forward implies that values such as loyalty and experience are not in their best interest. I guess having the ability to climb 14ers, do long backpacking expeditions, Trans-Channel Island expeditions, having a college education and real-world work and social experience just isn't good enough. Who knew?

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you went above and beyond.
      Tell me the last time you dealt with a difficult customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question