REI Sales Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

REI Sales Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Knoxville, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

Group Interview including several group activities. Little to no questions regarding any product knowledge nor retail experience. From my perspective REI cares little about prior knowledge and experience and has complete confidence in their training. In fact it appeared to me they almost preferred those that were more of a tabula rasa type where they could train them into exactly what they want them to be. It's a great situation for those who are looking at getting into Outdoor Retail but I feel it is pretty limiting for those with experience in the field. I do respect putting everyone on a level playing field, but not certain this works in all situations. For example, when I went in to the store to turn in a resume, I was there for half an hour and not one employee spoke to me. I was about to just leave when I saw someone who appeared to be a manager and I approached her. Everyone there is nice enough but for an operation that seems so confident in their process and their dedication to customer service as a Co Op, I'm not certain the group interview leads to the best result in all cases. But like I said, hard to argue with their success.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for REI

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Invited to a Hiring Event after applying. About 150 people attended. Given information about the positions available and did a 15 minute 1:1 interview with a staff member. Invited for a follow-up group interview. 12 people in group interview, lasted almost 2 hours and was all group activities, no 1:1 conversations with a hiring manager during the group interview. Was offered a Cashier position, which was not the position I originally applied for.

Interview Questions

• -Write down three different ways you would greet someone coming into the store.
      -Create a new type of tent with your group of 3 people and then present/'sell' your tent idea to the rest of the group
      -Sell this pen to the person across from you
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

This was a group interview. There were approximately 50 candidates present. They separated us into groups and asked us to work together and present answers to the group.

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Alpharetta, GA) in July 2016.

Interview

Short phone call then invited for in store interview with manager. Asked why rei. Talked schedule and availability and training. Discussed minimum and maximum hours to work. Overall a great short and sweet interview that ended with an in person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Manhattan Beach, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied back in mid-March, and got a phone call with a personality test. They asked why I wanted to work at REI, my availability, and such. Instead of a group interview, I had a 1:1 with the sales lead. He asked me some simple questions about experience, availability, what a co-op was in my opinion, and such. Overall it was very easy and the interview lasted maybe 10-12 minutes.

Less than a week later, I got a phone call notifying me that I was not offered the position. After applying to this same exact store a second time as I did 1 year ago back in 2015, gaining more work and social experience since then, and actually selling myself to attempt to make myself stand out from the crowd of other applicants, only to be turned down (not once, but) TWICE; that sends a clear message as to what kind of people from the management are. The sales lead even remembered me from the first time I applied, but his morbidly condescending demeanor was not in the least bit helpful nor welcoming. Being turned down again after I showed devoted interest by applying a second time and really putting my best foot forward implies that values such as loyalty and experience are not in their best interest. I guess having the ability to climb 14ers, do long backpacking expeditions, Trans-Channel Island expeditions, having a college education and real-world work and social experience just isn't good enough. Who knew?

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you went above and beyond.
      Tell me the last time you dealt with a difficult customer and how you handled it.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at REI (Corte Madera, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

If you're over the age of 17 don't bother for applying for this job at the Corte Madera location. I entered the job interview in professional attire while most of the rest of the prospects looked like they just walked out of high school or the gym. We went into a group interview where we did some activities that seemed extremely child-like. Of course this was something the younger people strived at, although lacking the professionalism I mentioned before. What frustrates me is the these people don't deserve the work more than myself. They don't pay for Marin rent or their college education.

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Salem, OR) in March 2016.

Interview

REI does a brief phone interview screening asking about prior experience in the workplace and outside, and then conducts a group interview of about 13-25 candidates. During the interview, there are teamwork tests, moral and ethics tests, and work ethic tests. Managers stand around observing how candidates interact with each other and perform individually.

Interview Questions

• Which of the core values is most important? (Authenticity, Quality, Service, Respect, Integrity and Balance)   Answer Question
    • Get into three groups and assemble an REI tent with your teammates. Whoever finishes first wins.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at REI (Houston, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Standard questions. They asked the regular things that people ask in interviews. Tell me about your experience. Tell me why you want to work here. Tell me about your outdoor experience. Tell me about your personality, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (Bellingham, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Group interview. Around 15 other people. Staff introductions and we did the same. Given a PowerPoint presentation about the company. Broke into groups and discussed several questions about customer service. Also each person was given a situation and asked to sell a certain type of item to a customer. Several staff members walked around taking notes during the whole group interview. Broke into different groups and were asked to come up with a short speech of what the company's motto means to us. Filled out a short post interview questionnaire

Interview Questions

• What separates good customer service from great customer service?   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at REI in February 2016.

Interview

Very simple and casual interview. First received a phone call to go over availability, personal experience and set up a date and time for an in person interview. Interviewed with two different managers and discussed my resume briefly, went over the duties/responsibilities for the position and talked about my customer service experience.

Interview Questions

• If it was nearing the end of your shift but there is a need for another frontline cashier would you step up and cover that position?   1 Answer