REI Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2016

1.8

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at REI (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

First interview was over the phone with a manager. The second interview was in person with two managers in store. Be prepared to talk about your experiences outdoors and also be familiar with REI's company culture. The reason I want to work for REI is because....

Interview Questions

• Basic questions to get to know you as a person, accomplishments, weaknesses, and long term goals.   1 Answer

Inventory Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at REI (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted roughly a week after submitting my application. An individual who identified themselves as an "admin" contacted me to set up a phone interview. We spoke for roughly fifteen minutes, but I did 95% of the talking. Much of the interview consisted of me asking questions about the position, asking about company culture, and trying to determine what would make someone successful at REI.

The individual who interviewed me was the same "admin" who reached out to me initially. They seemed completely disinterested in providing me with information about REI company culture, and had nothing to add regarding the role beyond what I'd read in the job posting.

After reading about how wonderful REI was to work for, and being very excited to speak with someone at the company, I was left extremely disappointed after this phone conversation. It was such an uninspiring experience that I did not pursue the role further. I felt like I was interviewing for a janitorial position at the local gym.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable lifting at least 35lbs?   1 Answer

Stocking Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Flexible for making the interview schedule. The interviewer was nice and clearly explained questions I had. Asked about me briefly, went into the real interview questions about 3-4 questions which were quite standard questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult experience you've had with customers and how did you handle to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at REI (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

very brief. in a room with all applicants and you learn about rei through powerpoint, break off and do some group activities, then formal interview with member of staff (usually managers)

Interview Questions

• goal youve set and how youve achieved it

what is good customer service

describe a tough situation youve been in and how youve handled it
      Answer Question

Master Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at REI (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Apply online. April and October are the best times to apply, they will be preparing for Summer season in April and Winter in October. Contact the store, ask for the department supervisor, the store manager is not directly involved with hiring.

If applying directly to the shop technician position, stop by the store and introduce yourself to the existing shop team. BE SURE TO MAKE A POSITIVE IMPRESSION ON THE EXISTING SHOP TECHS, they will be very persuasive in endorsing or condemning you with the hiring supervisor. There will only be one interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to support an unpopular management decision, what was it and how did you navigate negative feedback from your peers and employees?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Starting hourly rate was negotiable between $16-$18.50/hour.

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at REI (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Fairly lengthy questionnaires were given, with a good deal of writing about job experience and the REI co-op structure. From there, approximately 30% of candidates were brought in for group interviews - these were large, consisting of about 30 applicants, and we were judged by members of management and staff. It was hard to judge what they wanted to hear, or what you were supposed to do in order to impress them. Group interview was followed up by a brief one-on-one interview, which was more clear. After that process, reference checks and phone interviews were conducted, which were more in-depth, followed by a job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not attempt to negotiate