RGM Advisors, LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RGM Advisors, LLC Interview Questions

Updated Mar 1, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interviews then onsite. Nice Corp office and location, everyone I met with was nice and bright. Mostly probing questions to pick my brain about a trading strategy I developed with some technical questions as an add on to the probe to see how you discovered and implemented alpha generation. I provided them with accurate information that was 'public' knowledge, however, for the true 'non-public' alpha discovery, I had to throw them down a rabbit hole to waste their time in case I did not proceed to next round of the process. If you see them rigorously writing notes while asking very pointed questions, well its kind of obvious to what they were up to, though I don't blame them and I have done the same thing myself; business is business, it was well within the moral limits. Even though I did not proceed to next round, I have high respect in this firm and the people.

Interview Questions

• Even though you can google most questions and have an answer in 10 seconds, you need to memorize some scripting commands and some basics about learning algorithms. Other things to, but you can learn the hard way like I had to, I'm not a charity.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Directly applied and got a call from HR. It lasted for 30 mins and was just about background details. An open coding sample on orderbook with some more questions were asked to submit within a week, followed by a technical phone interview with a senior software developer. Questions were moderate. Collaborative coding through hackerrank.

Interview Questions

• Difference between java and python?
      find GCD of two numbers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC (Austin, TX).

Interview

Initial phone discussion with HR (it was on speaker), they asked to write program for their open book problem. I had spent reasonable time to come up with a fast solution. Then there was a whole day on-site technical interview in groups of 1-3 interviewers, each for 40-45 minutes. The questions range from puzzles, graph theory, programming and also situational. I had solved all problems. I was expecting a different role.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in May 2014.

Interview

Online resume drop, phone interview scheduled by email.

The interview was a brief resume walk through with an extremely friendly recruiter. Seems like they are looking for folks with production experience, ready to bring a strategy over. Overall experience is consistent with the image they project online: technically competent but "laid back".

Interview Questions

• The only unexpected feature was an absence of technical questions or a follow up problem.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC.

Interview

I applied on the site, they got back to me within a few days and after a quick 15 minute HR QA session, I was offered an onsite interview.

I drove down at 9 am and went up the 16(!) floors to their gorgeous offices that had a view of everything. After about 10 minutes (upper bound), a developer and the software director. They asked some basic questions (detailed below) and then had me improve upon my solutions given. They also asked standard questions like what do you like about CS, what would you improve about the place you last worked, and what is most important in developing software.

I said I liked CS because of the expressive creativity it gives me, and that I would improve on creating a more programmer-centric environment for programmers, and I talked some about testing and pairing (teamwork).

After that we talked about RGM, and the internship and what they do. They asked about how comfortable I am in a Unix environment (to which I replied "very"). I told them about schoolwork on Linux and Vim. Then came *the* question. How would you find phone numbers in html files. Of course you use grep! So I talked about grep and they asked some weird cases about using grep, ls, and piping, and I did something stupid. They asked how I would ensure I was using grep correctly. And I said look it up online. Use the man page! How could I have been so stupid. Learn from my mistakes.

Interview Questions

• How would you check that a list of ints contains two numbers that sum to a given x?   1 Answer
    • Write a function that returns the parent node of two nodes.   1 Answer
    • How would you find phone numbers in html files?   1 Answer

Quantitative Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in October 2013.

Interview

I submitted a resume for the position through the RGM website, and set up a phone interview after being contacted by the recruiter. I never received a call at our agreed-upon time, and my phone call/voicemail and 2 follow-up emails have gone unanswered. Not much else to say, really; pretty unprofessional.

Quantitative Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC in October 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume on their website and got a phone interview afterwards. The interviewer introduced the company briefly and then asked resume-related questions as well as other questions that might be relevant to the job. Overall it was a great experience. They have a nice office downtown Austin, and the culture is open and friendly, unlike some other companies in this industry.

Interview Questions

Had another opportunity more closely related to what I'm doing right now. I wish I could accept because this really seems like a great place to work.

Trading Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC (Austin, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

There were three rounds of technical phone screens, followed by an intensely technical on-site, that included a proctored coding exercise that makes or breaks your shot at the job. Other than the proctored exercise, there were teams of two that interviewed me, switching out every hour.

Interview Questions

• Construct a regular expression to match a given IPv4 address.   1 Answer

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC (Austin, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was extremely rigorous and methodical, but ultimately fair. I was first phone-screened by the internal recruiter, and then by the hiring manager, who ultimately gave the thumbs-up to fly me out for the face-to-face interview.

After a quick tour and overview by the recruiter, I had several 45-minute rounds with technical staff - always two at a time. They were expected to evaluate me on specific subject matter, and did so affably and professionally. To say that the process was "thorough" would be an understatement. It became clear to me - and certainly to everyone else - that my technical skill set wasn't sufficiently broad or current to meet their standards. I was disappointed, but I reluctantly agree with their assessment.

My only gripe is that the job description on the corporate website gave absolutely no indication that the bar was set so high regarding the breadth of expertise. As a veteran of larger companies, my experience has tended to be more specialized, and in hindsight that clearly put me at a disadvantage.

Interview Questions

• a) Find the Linux ethernet interface of the e1000e-based card/port
      that is has link - assume there is only one such card, it has more
      than one port, but only one port is plugged in.

b) The first parameter passed to the script is a 802.1q vlan number.
      Assume there is an "ipbroker <vlan>" command that will return a unique
      IP and netmask for that network. Add the vlan to the interface and
      assign it the IP/netmask.

c) Write out RedHat-style ifcfg-* files that will bring this vlan up
      on boot. Save the existing ifcfg files that you are overwriting.

Describe how you would distribute this script and safely run it on
      several hundred machines. If you use a configuration management
      product, write some of the policy you would use to accomplish this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC (Austin, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

It was a short phone interview with HR manager. Very general questions about my background and experience in machine learning and development. Interviewer gave cold comments on my answers. It took less than 10 minutes. It was obvious that I wouldn't hear back from them.