RGM Advisors, LLC Senior Systems Administrator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RGM Advisors, LLC (Austin, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was extremely rigorous and methodical, but ultimately fair. I was first phone-screened by the internal recruiter, and then by the hiring manager, who ultimately gave the thumbs-up to fly me out for the face-to-face interview.

After a quick tour and overview by the recruiter, I had several 45-minute rounds with technical staff - always two at a time. They were expected to evaluate me on specific subject matter, and did so affably and professionally. To say that the process was "thorough" would be an understatement. It became clear to me - and certainly to everyone else - that my technical skill set wasn't sufficiently broad or current to meet their standards. I was disappointed, but I reluctantly agree with their assessment.

My only gripe is that the job description on the corporate website gave absolutely no indication that the bar was set so high regarding the breadth of expertise. As a veteran of larger companies, my experience has tended to be more specialized, and in hindsight that clearly put me at a disadvantage.

Interview Questions

• a) Find the Linux ethernet interface of the e1000e-based card/port
    that is has link - assume there is only one such card, it has more
    than one port, but only one port is plugged in.

b) The first parameter passed to the script is a 802.1q vlan number.
    Assume there is an "ipbroker <vlan>" command that will return a unique
    IP and netmask for that network. Add the vlan to the interface and
    assign it the IP/netmask.

c) Write out RedHat-style ifcfg-* files that will bring this vlan up
    on boot. Save the existing ifcfg files that you are overwriting.

Describe how you would distribute this script and safely run it on
    several hundred machines. If you use a configuration management
    product, write some of the policy you would use to accomplish this.   Answer Question