Rackspace Account Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rackspace Account Manager Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX).

Interview

- Phone interview with the hiring team's manager and possibly another current team member.
- In person interview with a panel of 4-5 people from the AM teams. They all take turns asking you questions and taking notes. Due to the culture, most interviews are an enjoyable experience, but it can definitely be intimidating.
- If they like you, they'll hire you

*Note from experience*
It is a frequent practice to interview you and then not actually hire you until 6 months later. Sometimes the department will go through a hiring freeze or the position will get filled internally while your info might be passed along to another team's manager or just kept for future use.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time that a customer had incorrect or unrealistic expectations and how did you resolve their displeasure?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Rackspace

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

I spoke to the HR Generalist over the phone for the initial phone screen then visited on site for a One day interview process. Involved 2 groups (3-5 people each) interviewing you, first group including the hiring manager, second group including team members.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied to Rackspace via their website, and didn't have any inside connections to the company. After about a week someone at Rackspace requested a phone screening, which happened a few days later.

The phone interview wasn't anything out of the ordinary, I met with 2 Rackers and we spoke for about 30 minutes. Following the interview my initial contact told me that Rackspace would like to have me in for an interview.

The interview was 3 1-hour panels, each with 3 interviewers. Over the course of the three hours I was asked an array of questions about my work history, personality, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The Rackers I met with were all incredibly friendly, and there was nothing intimidating about our conversations. They tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible, and I really enjoyed the experience.

Following the interviews I was given a tour of the office, which looked like a fantastic place to work.

I was contacted by the recruiter a few days later to tell me that I wasn't selected for the job. It was pretty disappointing, as I was incredibly excited for the opportunity and had my fingers crossed.

In the end there were simply people who were better qualified than I was, and there are only so many available positions. I will likely pursue other opportunities at Rackspace in the future.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in July 2013.

Interview

Not much out of the ordinary here. Rackspace is keen on vetting candidates for the "Racker fit" first and foremost. Then comes in your character and prior work experience. If you're a technical Linux admin candidate, you'll be interviewed on your Red Hat/Linux knowledge.

Interview Questions

• If a customer called you and was completely and utterly irate, how would you respond? What steps would you take to calm down the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (Austin, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Unless you have MAD skills &/or INSANE experience, you will not get an interview at Rackspace without an inside referral. Why? Everyone wants to work here (and they should), and we get too many applicants for every position to look at each one. Rackspace relies on the amazing staff they have in place to help them pare down the pool. Inside referrals mean a lot - when a Racker refers you, they are putting their reputation & their "brand" on the line, and we don't do that lightly. HR knows this, and takes Racker referrals seriously.

That being said. Step 1: Phone screen with HR. If you make it past that, welcome to the interview!

Interview: Three panels, one hour each, each with a specific focus. You will be interviewed by your potential future colleagues as well as your potential future boss, and their opinion carries as much or more weight than the supervisor's. For some roles in which you would be part of a small team or pair, one person's veto will kill you, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Be yourself, be real. Stuffed answers won't work here. You may be interviewed by people in flip flops & do-rags (I was), but you'd best be in a real suit if you want to have a shot. I won't give away what types of questions to expect, but like any interview, know the business, know the major players, know what your role would be expected to do, and plan to tie in your experience with the job description. My interview experience was by far the best I've ever had with any company. I left feeling like even if I didn't get the job, I had an awesome conversation with some really great people. Best advice - BRING your personality. And if you don't like kooky, off-the-wall, creative, different, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, let's-go-change-the-world, it-doesn't-exist-so-let's-create-it . . .. don't apply. You're signing up for a crazy, wonderful life, not just a job. All in, or stay home.

Interview Questions

• There's nothing rote about these interviews. I could tell you what I was asked, but in all likelihood it would have no bearing on your interview. Be prepared for the usual questions, plus just about anything else.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered considerably more than I asked for & did not negotiate.