Rackspace Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

1. Featured Interview

Windows Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in June 2018.

Interview

There were 4 stages to mine. Video recording, very small phone screen by recruiter, Technical, and Managerial/Culture. Each seemed fair and I understood the need for each. It is good to have these broken up as a single interview with an entire team can be troublesome as you race against the clock and try to fit everything in to a 1-2 hour time frame. Each section deserves its own time slot.

The recruiter didn't leave huge gaps in between each phase so I stayed engaged with the process. She was also fine with me reaching out if I had any questions.

What is also helpful is checking the status of your application in the online job portal during the beginning of the process.

In the end, I got the offer. I was able to negotiate what I would be comfortable with without being greedy. The benefits are nothing short of excellent either.

Thank you to all of the staff that I worked with during this!

Interview Questions

• Honestly, there were a TON of questions. Personally, I don't want to give away anything. If you are a true Windows Admin and are confident in your skills, you should do fine. I will say this though, BE HONEST. If you don't know something, just say it. Do not try to BS your way through questions. They appreciate honesty and no one wants a know-it-all. Read other people's experience with interviews if it helps. Remember, they want to get to know YOU.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Round 1: recruiter pre-screen. Round 2: hiring manager. Round 3: hiring manager's manager. Round 4: U.S. members of the team. Round 5: head of the overseas team. Round 6: hiring manager again. Round 7: recruiter again. Recruiters was in between some of the other rounds too. Every round went well, but the overall process from round 1 to offer took a month or so. I know a lot of extremely good people who Rackspace has failed to hire just because the company was still dithering while other companies were waving offers.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

It was a contract to hire position. they did a preliminary telephone screening and then called for a face to face technical interview. There were three interviewers. The questions were technical as well as logical. They try to evaluate what you know and whee you fit into the organization.

Interview Questions

• They go deeper into your skills that you describe. The concepts should be very clear.   Answer Question

Lead Generator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

A great overall experience, but challenging. Questions ranging from cloud tech to unpredictable character based questions. Multiple panels and each one had something challenging to bring. Of all the jobs Ive worked at so far I will say this was the toughest overall. Definitely spend some time preparing.

Lead Generator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Consisted of a panel review, individual reviews with several managers as well as the director of the lead generation team. There were (3) total interviews and the whole process lasted about 3 hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

HR person offered the position which I was able to negotiate if I wanted.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

One, hour-long interview, with one semi-difficult question about BSTs.
    Onsite - question about object oriented design.
    Nothing too difficult, but they really want new hires to start out at their HQs which is in San Antonio, TX. :/

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Three rounds of phone screens (HR, hiring manager, technical screen) followed by on-site interview with three separate panels (one by video conference). The company values teamwork, and it shows during the interview -- all of the employees were prepared with canned questions, but that didn't stop them from bouncing ideas off each other to screen me effectively.

Interview Questions

• What was the most interesting thing you leaned during this interview process?   2 Answers
    • What is the difference between :this, @this, and @@this?   1 Answer

SQL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

I was sent tables to write a code to perform innerjoin, it was a web interview
    Interview lasted more than an hour
    Interview was with a team lead
    Very nice gentleman

Channel Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Rackspace.

Interview

You will be interviewing for less senior roles unless you know someone. Senior roles are typically filled by the hiring manager’s unqualified friends who will not have to go through the same number of interviews nor interview process. You will start with a recruiter phone interview, then with a panel of ‘know-it-all’ managers (who don’t manage anyone) and ask surprisingly illegal questions, and if you already know the hiring manager then you will speak to them. Sad waste of time. Expect nearly all interviewers to be late or not show. There’s a reason there are so many openings...

Interview Questions

• Far from scripted and the interviewers will be unprepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Everything is negotiable. Everything. Know what you want and counter offer.

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

Went through a basic Q&A with a recruiter asking me technical questions that she was reading off of a sheet. Did well enough that she passed me off to one of th advanced techs. He gave me a 2 hour lab to complete with about 10 scenarios I had to complete on a virtual lab setup I had to SSH into. Examples would be, change the default password on the Cisco ASA firewall. Went up in difficulty from there covering ACL's and site to site VPN connections. I'd say I got about a 60% there but well enough. Was surprised to hear them ask me to come visit, so they flew me out to HQ in San Antonio (expenses covered by them) to do an in face interview. Once I got there, it was a panel interview with about 5 others who would all ask me random questions and go back and forth from "Tell me something about yourself?" to "How many hosts in a /24 subnet?". I didn't think I did that well, and it was extremely stressful. I felt very demoralized about the whole process but I got an offer the next day. I think they are trying to see how you do under pressure. Culture was very relaxed, shorts T-Shirt for everyone. Overall I'd say people were pretty nice.

Interview Questions

• What is something you don't do well?   1 Answer
    • Walk me through the configuration of an ACL on a cisco PIX   1 Answer

Negotiation

They knew my salary from my previous job and matched it. I asked what the pay band was and I was already above it so I didn't push it. They did offer a very sizable some for relocation which made it a done deal.

Network Security Administrative I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

Started off with a HR quick test interview, based on some technical questions such as port nos., security appliances, etc., Then, got scheduled for a next round by the Team lead, who concentrated on deep technical aspects such as VPN etc., Then after, they flew me down to Texas for a group panel interview, the hospitability was excellent. Interview was for a couple of hours concentrating deep into the scenario based questions both technical and cultural topics. I hope i did 80% well. The next day i was offered a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was quite straightforward, as they offered me $58 k. I was completely fine with the entry level salary, so did not negotiate further because i didnt want to lose the company as well the benefits being provided.