Rackspace Systems Administrator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.7

85 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Windows Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and after Rackspace reviewed it I was given a link to Hirevue. This is a web-type interview and they requested the Hirevue the same week. The Hirevue asked technical questions and you are required to answer them via webcam. There were also a few type in questions and I think one multiple choice. After the Hirevue was completed a recruiter contacted me to request scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was more technical and I was advised to try my best and if I did not know the answer it was suggested that I admit I did not know - which occurred a few times. After the second interview (same day) I was again contacted by the same recruiter to a face-to-face schedule with 2 panels. The first panel was with 3 people who were drilling me with tech questions similar to the phone interview but it was a little more intimidating. The second panel was with 2 managers who then asked mostly about character, background, and customer service.

Interview Questions

• Explain DNS. Explain AD. Explain SQL. Explain good customer service. Explain what critical thinking is. Explain what a firewall is. What port number is HTTP? SSH? TELNET? HTTPS? ect.   1 Answer

Rackspace Response

Oct 17, 2016 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback on your interview experience and congratulations on your offer to officially become a Racker—we are sure you have been a Racker for a while, even before you came to... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

The Modern Electronic Interview Process:
    You have you download an app,
    Then you talk to that app.
    answer questions on the App.
    They will let you know if you are able to be hired.

What a Bunch of cold blooded Impersonal one sided bunch of crap!

I find the new The Modern Electronic Interview Process Revolting,
    Makes me want to puke!

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I met with a manager and a higher level Linux admin and had a personality interview, mostly just asking how I deal with stress and how I feel I would work with a team.

I then met with two higher level Linux admins that asked me about things like the different RAID levels, how to set up a new disk, MySQL, and correcting web error codes.

The technical interview covered a lot of different topics, but was mostly focused on preparing and repairing web and database servers.

Interview Questions

• What was your favourite childhood toy?   Answer Question
    • What is the first thing you'd print with a 3D printer if you had one?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through the steps of setting up a new disk that will be a single partition that was just added to a server.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if, when following up with a client, you noticed you had misconfigured something, but the client didn't yet know about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Three phone interviews. One on-site. They paid for flight and hotel. ~5 hour interview with 6 people (3 groups of 2). Overall, a fairly painless experience. Amazon was far more taxing. If your going to interview, don't be stressed; it won't be difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you overcame a difficult situation in the workplace. Blah blah blah.   1 Answer

Windows Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace in May 2015.

Interview

First part was the phone interview.
    Know your basic AD functions, TCP ports, DNS, Windows Web hosting essentials, MSSQL essentials (ports, files, extensions, administrator usernames).

Second part was the break fix scenario, you will be monitored for how useful you are at searching for information as the test is an open book test. This picks up and adds more things from the phone interview, think of the phone interview as a table of contents of all things to come after the phone interview.

Third part of the process is face to face interviews with members of the team and managers.
    Members of the team will test you on all topics discussed on the phone interview.
    Be ready to explain your butt off. If you want to make good money, know more than the essentials, know all there is about all topics covered on the phone interview:
    DNS
    AD (FSMO roles, functions)
    Server Roles
    MSSQL
    Ports
    Terminal Servers
    Networking (ports, NAT, sub-netting, Firewalls, static routes, VPN)
    Clustering
    Storage (HBA, SAN, DAS, NAS, RAID)

The Manager's interview process like others have said is to see how you will fit with the team and how your customer service is.

Overall, if you are a system administrator or are familiar with the tools in your day to day, it is a piece of cake, study all you can, and you can land a high position. If, however you are new to this, study the best you can, practice what you can and you will land at least a level 1 position.

Connect with everyone and you will get a call back!
    Also, customer service needs to be top notch, as Rackspace looks for "Fanatical Support" candidates.
    If you have the customer service skills, they will teach you as long as you are honest and know the basics of a system administrator.

Interview Questions

• What is a heartbeat in a cluster?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter within 9 hours of applying with my resume. Ended up taking four interviews total.[5 weeks] So if you are browsing here like I was mid-process, HAVE HOPE! Interviews will differ from position to position so make sure and focus on your core-area. They will drill your arsehole in the area which you are applying for(..expectedly) so prep as if it were an exam. However, do not script answers like a door-knob. Nobody likes that.

Interview Questions

• If we handed you the remote and we asked you to put something on the TV, what would you put on?   1 Answer

Windows Systems Administrator I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Lengthy 3 call tech screening (increasing difficulty in questions each call), after the phone calls I was asked to come in for a minimum of 2 hour panel/group interview. Grueling tech questionnaire followed by a character quiz.

Interview Questions

• what is your irrational fear   1 Answer

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rackspace in January 2015.

Interview

Hiring and interview process was easy and everyone seemed really friendly. I felt like I nailed every interview but got denied for the position anyway because someone else was more qualified.

Rackspace recruiters contacted me the first time for a DevOps position and they denied me for that position after getting my hopes up. Then they flew me out a second time the for Linux Administrator position and denied me the second time. I'm not letting this company waste anymore of my time.

Interview Questions

• During the in person interview they asked some crazy off the wall scenario that I had never experienced before and therefore couldn't answer... nothing a little research wouldn't have solved.   Answer Question

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Interview

Initial interview, very basic and probably easy for someone with any sort of formal education with Linux command line. The interviewer was very courteous, which made my utter inability to pass the initial interview that much more frustrating. Remember: if working with something becomes reflexive in day-to-day work, you may be unable to answer basic questions about it, similar to how a native speaker of a language doesn't think about the grammatical rules underpinning his or her sentences.

Interview Questions

• Having worked in a very specific Linux shop for awhile, I couldn't answer basic questions in this interview without having a terminal in front of me. Think for a second before passing on any questions, or you will feel like an idiot.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace in October 2014.

Interview

First screen call is easy, more like get to know you and what your goals are. Then Technical phone call, questions about networking, Storage RAID, windows commands, Ports, etc. Then a 3rd interview with 1hr with managers and then 2hrs more technical advance questions.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with IDS?   1 Answer
    • What are the AD roles and explain each   1 Answer
    • Explain difference from switch and a router   1 Answer
    • Difference from SAN/DAS/NAS and RAIDs   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiate salary!! Relocation offered.