Rackspace Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rackspace Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

3.3

Devops Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace in October 2016.

Interview

First started with a contact from a recruiter where they ask basic personality questions and what your career goals are. Then a phone screen with an engineer that lasted about 30 minutes where they asked techincal questions about OS and AWS as well as how to troubleshoot issues. Then an onsite interview for about 2 hours with 2 panel interviews, one with three engineers and the other with two managers. Engineers asked more technical questions on OS and AWS while the managers asked mostly cultural fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain how to design a highly available and fault tolerant architecture for a customer who is just starting up his/her business. Explain DNS. Explain CloudFormation and other CM tools. How do you stop a process in Linux? How do you find commands in the shell? How do you deal with a coworker who is not pulling his/her weight? What was a time you were under tremendous pressure?   Answer Question

Windows Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and after Rackspace reviewed it I was given a link to Hirevue. This is a web-type interview and they requested the Hirevue the same week. The Hirevue asked technical questions and you are required to answer them via webcam. There were also a few type in questions and I think one multiple choice. After the Hirevue was completed a recruiter contacted me to request scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was more technical and I was advised to try my best and if I did not know the answer it was suggested that I admit I did not know - which occurred a few times. After the second interview (same day) I was again contacted by the same recruiter to a face-to-face schedule with 2 panels. The first panel was with 3 people who were drilling me with tech questions similar to the phone interview but it was a little more intimidating. The second panel was with 2 managers who then asked mostly about character, background, and customer service.

Interview Questions

• Explain DNS. Explain AD. Explain SQL. Explain good customer service. Explain what critical thinking is. Explain what a firewall is. What port number is HTTP? SSH? TELNET? HTTPS? ect.   1 Answer

Rackspace Response

Oct 17, 2016 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback on your interview experience and congratulations on your offer to officially become a Racker—we are sure you have been a Racker for a while, even before you came to ... More

Network Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace in September 2016.

Interview

they start with online interview. it was 14 question each question had 2 minute.
    then they call me and give me a phone interview date.
    phone interview was a technical questions. it was an academic questions not related to the real world environment.

Software Developer IV Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace.

Interview

It is very straight forward. Most Rackspace recruiters and well spoken and values your time. Approached my recruiter by email and have short call after that. Recruiter covered very well , what is expected from the role and about company. Had 4 rounds of interview onsite from technical to manager round. They wanted to make sure everyone in team will get chance to evaluate you. Being a right fit for team is big criteria in interview process.

Interview Questions

• Normal technical questions about your skill-set. What are the things you consider when you design. behavior based questions   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I have 3+ years in technology B2B sales, with over one year in enterprise software sales. I was also recommended by a friend who works there to apply because I would be a perfect fit for the culture and position.

I applied online, received a link to do a recorded interview through an app. I followed the steps, prepared for the recorded interview as if I were talking to them in person and submitted my answers. Received an email two days later saying they are not moving forward with me and have more qualified candidates.

Given my experience in the industry and an inside edge within Rackspace, I assumed I would at least have a conversation with the company and be considered; I'm not so arrogant to say that I should have the job and its a crime I don't, but if a company is willing to spend money flying people from out of town for interviews, then they can afford maybe two hours of their time to meet with local talent and discuss in person with candidates who at least have valid experience in the industry regardless if a friend recommended them or not, and I had both

Interview Questions

• I never spoke to a human being, but the process was download an app and follow instructions to preloaded questions that required either a written responses or recorded answers. The questions were all very standard sales questions like "Sell Rackspace to me as if I were an executive of a company." and "Describe a time when you had a difficult customer and you were able to sell them."

One question I personally found arrogant was the first question (which was a written response question): "How did you prepare for this interview?" I find this arrogant because it doesn't matter how I prepared for the interview, if I'm qualified and can do the task it shouldn't matter how much homework I've done on the company (which I still did anyway); this is the academic equivalent of being negatively graded on a test you would have aced solely because you didn't study the night before. For a technology company, they have some serious gaps in their logic.

This was by far the most impersonal and lazy interview process I have experienced and will not recommend Rackspace to any company I sell moving forward. It is clear Rackspace has become big headed and will ostracize itself from talent and key players in the cloud technology industry soon; I also heard rumors and read online how quickly the culture there is changing for the worse and I'm glad I was able to experience what the rumors meant firsthand.
      Answer Question

Rackspace Response

Oct 17, 2016 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Video interviewing has become a valuable part of our process for many of our roles. Generally, our candidates find this to be an engaging, convenient way to introduce themselves to Rackspace. Our ... More

Linux Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process at Rackspace was 3 hours of technical phone screenings followed by 3 hours of technical panel interviews and 1 hour chat with the manager. The interview process was

* 1 hour technical phone screening with technical recruiter
    * 2 hours technical video/phone screening with 2 engineers
    * 1 hour technical panel interview with 3 engineers
    * 1 hour technical panel interview with 2 engineers
    * 1 hour technical panel interview with 2 engineers
    * 1 hour tour of The Castle with manager

The first 3 hours were technical phone screenings with 1-2 people per call; they asked me 40 technical questions. The next 3 hours were technical panel interviews in person at The Castle in San Antonio, Texas, with 2-3 people per hour; they asked me about 75 questions (I think I was being video recorded because the camcorder pointed at me was running while they asked me questions). The last 1 hour was a tour of The Castle with the manager who casually asked me questions about their core values and fanatical customer support.

During the first three hours of interviews everyone told me they were very impressive with my experience and thought I was an excellent fit for the job. They paid for my round-trip flight to/from Texas and 1 night stay at The Aloft San Antonio Airport (hotel).

When I arrived to The Castle I met the recruiter who I interviewed with earlier, she was very quiet and cold to me. The engineers I interviewed with were hostile to me and disrespectful to me. Overall they kept saying give up engineering and start-over at Rackspace in customer support.

They asked me very vague questions about all technologies then required I give them very specific answers. I was told again and again to answer "inasmuch detail as [I could] and don't leave any details out." I think they wanted me to give them 20 reasons not to hire me. They never gave me enough time to collect my thoughts and organize them to answer their questions. After 2 seconds at least one interviewer said you obviously don't know this or that, and they moved onto to their next question; I would have to interrupt them and explicitly tell them I could answer their question.

Coincidentally, all engineers in the Ops team were 45-60 years old white men and were promoted to Ops from customer support. I think they were testing my response to them appearing poor and being grossly unqualified; they wore old t-shirts with shorts and they told me that "knowing operations and programming wasn't necessary to do DevOps at Rackspace, and in fact, only two people currently in the team knew something about those two things."

They told me they were totally against writing "Perl applications", but that their operations were entirely "Ruby applications" running in Docker containers. They said they're end-users of their cloud services because they don't have direct access to their infrastructure; they have to request permission from a different group within Rackspace to allocate resources and provision resources and start/stop resources.

Later when we talked about server security at Rackspace they told me PCI compliance wasn't a big deal because that's something they only have to think about two weeks out of the year so it wasn't necessary to know anything about security.

Interview Questions

• Diagram a CI/CD platform and describe how it works, include blue-green deployment.   Answer Question
    • Tell me the VM technologies in use today and explain how each one works inside the Linux kernel.   Answer Question
    • Tell me the container technologies in use today and explain the differences among them.   Answer Question
    • Design a high-level abstract user interface for any kind of orchestration software then explain in detail how it works.   Answer Question
    • Explain how to engineer Docker containers for any service.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Pretty basic scripted phone interview questions. The interviewer wanted to make sure that I had researched the company. After the interview I scheduled an Excel test. I was not as prepared for the test as I thought I would be and I feel as if that was integral to me not receiving a second interview.

CST (Customer Service Technician) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Pretty laid back, first had online interview with some basic interview questions, then in person interview with two portions. First portion was with one hiring manager with basic questions asked for all 10 candidates for the position, then hiring managers selected candidates to move forward to the second portion with two hiring managers with more specific questions related to the job. I was not chosen to continue to second portion.

Interview Questions

• If someone told you they sent you very important emails and you check Outlook but the emails are not there, what would you do to troubleshoot the problem?   Answer Question

Online Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

The online interview process was pretty interesting; allotting about 3 days for the recipient to complete the interview. The online interview could either be scheduled live with a real person or recorded answers to their questions, which allowed you to 'practice' by recording yourself answering the interview questions. Questions are pretty basic and nothing too off the wall; remaining relevant.

Customer Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got an email within a few hours asking to complete a HireVue pre-recorded interview where you answer with your webcam to a couple of timed, pre-recorded questions. Once I finished that, I got an email the next day wanting me for an on-site interview the following day. I happened to be out of town that week, so I grabbed the next flight out to San Antonio in time for the interview. I arrived at 8:50 for a 9am interview. It consisted of a quick tour around the office and then they interviewed me in two rounds of 2-3 interviewers. They asked questions about me, how would I work with a team, and what would I do with lazy coworkers. Also asked me a bit about email protocols.