Rackspace Interview Questions in San Antonio, TX | Glassdoor

3.4

189 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process included 2 phone calls and then 4 one hour panel interviews. Cross functional team interviews with Engineering, Sourcing, Legal and hiring Manager / Director. Overall, the interviewing team was searching for very direct answers to general questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you like the most and least about Sourcing?   1 Answer

Virtualization Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The first step in the interview process was a phone call asking about the usual stuff (desired salary, shifts available, etc). The next interview was specified to be another phone interview with a Sr. Engineer (or so as I was told).
    However, it turns out this interview was with an entire group of engineers and hiring manager, who all took turns asking me technical questions. This was entirely unexpected and felt like I was fighting for my life. I was told I would be brought in for another interview after a few more weeks to take the opportunity to learn more about virtualization. I was told it would be an interview with one Sr. Engineer and there was no mention of a technical interview.
    However, after attempting to contact them for an actual interview date, my email went unanswered. A few days later, I left a voicemail, which also went unanswered. The next day I received a reply that did not answer my question about scheduling. After replying with a repeat of my question, I received a reply that I was declined to move forward. This entire process has been unprofessional and disrespectful. The dishonesty in the kind of interview I would have combined with the lack of commitment/consistency in what I was told makes me happy not to pursue a position with them further.

Interview Questions

• How much time should there be between snapshots/backups?   Answer Question
    • What are the benefits of VLANs, and what situations would you use them in?   Answer Question

Cst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Hirevue was easy to work on! Just a little challenging to interview your self! I prefer a face to face interview with a real person but I understand it's a Big company and must look through a lot of people!

Interview Questions

• Port numbers, how to respond to customer after deleting emails.   Answer Question

Intern II Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resume online, got a call from a recruiter that lasted about 15 minutes. Next was an email asking me to do a hireu video interview .. awkward and I thought I had bombed at that point. Next a week or so later got an email saying the team would like to interview me. Did a panel (3) interview over the phone and two days later a call to say they'd like to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• What is it about your prior experience that will help you in this role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied the first week of January, no mewd for 13 weeks before 1st email follow up happened, applied online, received email to set up meeting, got a call at week 15. Call lasted 45 minutes. Posting deviated from the email and interview description.

Interview Questions

• What fills your bucket? Many terms used by the interviewer seemed company specific, annoying.   1 Answer
    • Tell me how you've used Excel?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Very quick, I applied on Wednesday and I got a call from HR on Thursday. Behavioral interview was insightful and laid back. After the initial screening, I was invited to interview on campus. I was welcomed by some of the team members and was walked up to the interview room. Two sets of interviews, a 1x1 with the manager and a panel interview with the analysts. Very behavior-oriented. Difficult, but worth it.

Interview Questions

• Strengths/Weaknesses/Technical things about my experience/Finance related questions.   Answer Question

Windows Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and after Rackspace reviewed it I was given a link to Hirevue. This is a web-type interview and they requested the Hirevue the same week. The Hirevue asked technical questions and you are required to answer them via webcam. There were also a few type in questions and I think one multiple choice. After the Hirevue was completed a recruiter contacted me to request scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was more technical and I was advised to try my best and if I did not know the answer it was suggested that I admit I did not know - which occurred a few times. After the second interview (same day) I was again contacted by the same recruiter to a face-to-face schedule with 2 panels. The first panel was with 3 people who were drilling me with tech questions similar to the phone interview but it was a little more intimidating. The second panel was with 2 managers who then asked mostly about character, background, and customer service.

Interview Questions

• Explain DNS. Explain AD. Explain SQL. Explain good customer service. Explain what critical thinking is. Explain what a firewall is. What port number is HTTP? SSH? TELNET? HTTPS? ect.   1 Answer

Rackspace Response

Oct 17, 2016 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback on your interview experience and congratulations on your offer to officially become a Racker—we are sure you have been a Racker for a while, even before you came to... More

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I have 3+ years in technology B2B sales, with over one year in enterprise software sales. I was also recommended by a friend who works there to apply because I would be a perfect fit for the culture and position.

I applied online, received a link to do a recorded interview through an app. I followed the steps, prepared for the recorded interview as if I were talking to them in person and submitted my answers. Received an email two days later saying they are not moving forward with me and have more qualified candidates.

Given my experience in the industry and an inside edge within Rackspace, I assumed I would at least have a conversation with the company and be considered; I'm not so arrogant to say that I should have the job and its a crime I don't, but if a company is willing to spend money flying people from out of town for interviews, then they can afford maybe two hours of their time to meet with local talent and discuss in person with candidates who at least have valid experience in the industry regardless if a friend recommended them or not, and I had both

Interview Questions

• I never spoke to a human being, but the process was download an app and follow instructions to preloaded questions that required either a written responses or recorded answers. The questions were all very standard sales questions like "Sell Rackspace to me as if I were an executive of a company." and "Describe a time when you had a difficult customer and you were able to sell them."

One question I personally found arrogant was the first question (which was a written response question): "How did you prepare for this interview?" I find this arrogant because it doesn't matter how I prepared for the interview, if I'm qualified and can do the task it shouldn't matter how much homework I've done on the company (which I still did anyway); this is the academic equivalent of being negatively graded on a test you would have aced solely because you didn't study the night before. For a technology company, they have some serious gaps in their logic.

This was by far the most impersonal and lazy interview process I have experienced and will not recommend Rackspace to any company I sell moving forward. It is clear Rackspace has become big headed and will ostracize itself from talent and key players in the cloud technology industry soon; I also heard rumors and read online how quickly the culture there is changing for the worse and I'm glad I was able to experience what the rumors meant firsthand.   Answer Question

Rackspace Response

Oct 17, 2016 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Video interviewing has become a valuable part of our process for many of our roles. Generally, our candidates find this to be an engaging, convenient way to introduce themselves to Rackspace. Our... More

Linux Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process at Rackspace was 3 hours of technical phone screenings followed by 3 hours of technical panel interviews and 1 hour chat with the manager. The interview process was

* 1 hour technical phone screening with technical recruiter
    * 2 hours technical video/phone screening with 2 engineers
    * 1 hour technical panel interview with 3 engineers
    * 1 hour technical panel interview with 2 engineers
    * 1 hour technical panel interview with 2 engineers
    * 1 hour tour of The Castle with manager

The first 3 hours were technical phone screenings with 1-2 people per call; they asked me 40 technical questions. The next 3 hours were technical panel interviews in person at The Castle in San Antonio, Texas, with 2-3 people per hour; they asked me about 75 questions (I think I was being video recorded because the camcorder pointed at me was running while they asked me questions). The last 1 hour was a tour of The Castle with the manager who casually asked me questions about their core values and fanatical customer support.

During the first three hours of interviews everyone told me they were very impressive with my experience and thought I was an excellent fit for the job. They paid for my round-trip flight to/from Texas and 1 night stay at The Aloft San Antonio Airport (hotel).

When I arrived to The Castle I met the recruiter who I interviewed with earlier, she was very quiet and cold to me. The engineers I interviewed with were hostile to me and disrespectful to me. Overall they kept saying give up engineering and start-over at Rackspace in customer support.

They asked me very vague questions about all technologies then required I give them very specific answers. I was told again and again to answer "inasmuch detail as [I could] and don't leave any details out." I think they wanted me to give them 20 reasons not to hire me. They never gave me enough time to collect my thoughts and organize them to answer their questions. After 2 seconds at least one interviewer said you obviously don't know this or that, and they moved onto to their next question; I would have to interrupt them and explicitly tell them I could answer their question.

Coincidentally, all engineers in the Ops team were 45-60 years old white men and were promoted to Ops from customer support. I think they were testing my response to them appearing poor and being grossly unqualified; they wore old t-shirts with shorts and they told me that "knowing operations and programming wasn't necessary to do DevOps at Rackspace, and in fact, only two people currently in the team knew something about those two things."

They told me they were totally against writing "Perl applications", but that their operations were entirely "Ruby applications" running in Docker containers. They said they're end-users of their cloud services because they don't have direct access to their infrastructure; they have to request permission from a different group within Rackspace to allocate resources and provision resources and start/stop resources.

Later when we talked about server security at Rackspace they told me PCI compliance wasn't a big deal because that's something they only have to think about two weeks out of the year so it wasn't necessary to know anything about security.

Interview Questions

• Diagram a CI/CD platform and describe how it works, include blue-green deployment.   Answer Question
    • Tell me the VM technologies in use today and explain how each one works inside the Linux kernel.   Answer Question
    • Tell me the container technologies in use today and explain the differences among them.   Answer Question
    • Design a high-level abstract user interface for any kind of orchestration software then explain in detail how it works.   Answer Question
    • Explain how to engineer Docker containers for any service.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Pretty basic scripted phone interview questions. The interviewer wanted to make sure that I had researched the company. After the interview I scheduled an Excel test. I was not as prepared for the test as I thought I would be and I feel as if that was integral to me not receiving a second interview.