Rackspace Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rackspace Software Developer Interview Questions

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rackspace (Richmond, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

Got a mail from HR asking my availability for interview. after scheduling he asked why I want to look for a new job. what took me by surprise is that he had a technical questionnarire ready and he dint say in his email about it. the role was for c# developer, but I said my strong language is Java, so it was nice of him to ask questions in it.

Interview Questions

• 1. Interface Vs Abstract class
    2. Hash Map vs Table
    3. Object vs Class
    4. final keyword
    few more questions, I dont remember sorry
    1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Rackspace

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rackspace (Charlottesville, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by three people. There was one main person asking the questions, another taking some notes, and one more who provided input when needed but otherwise didn't do too much. The questions were both behavioral and technical.

Interview Questions

• Use Object Oriented Programming to design a card game.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace in March 2015.

Interview

The recruiter was very nice and helpful. During the phone interview, the interviewer asked some standard technical questions and some of my recent projects. The interviewer made the interview very smooth. I was later asked to attend their Rush Event to find a good team that I would work for.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace in January 2015.

Interview

Saw them at university recruiting, got a call from them a couple months later. Phone screen, dev test project, then on-site interview. There were 3 panel-style interview rounds with a mix of technical and behavioral. I thought the questions were generally easy, no real algorithm coding questions or anything. Not quite as technical as a lot of other companies. I thought I killed the interviews overall since I was able to answer most of their questions, but I assume I didn't get the offer due to not being a great 'culture fit'. It seems that people that at Rackspace have part of their identity tied into the company and very strictly abide by some core values. I wasn't terribly intersted in working for the company, so I didn't really do my research on the companies values / current products / etc. I think that's what got me, they care a lot about the non-technical parts, from what it seems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Really straightforward - I had one extremely brief phone interview (~10mins) with a recruiter to (I assume) judge the seriousness of my qualifications. He then scheduled a phone interview with a hiring manager for later that week.

Hiring manager phone interview was quite a bit more in depth, went in to my background and technical areas of expertise, was about 30 mins. Asked lots of questions about my work process and philosophy.

Heard back from a scheduler a few days later to set up an in-person interview. Four hours long, one hour blocks with two people in each. They also had me fill out a paper application with the usual info, nothing unexpected.

First round of interviews was okay, however one of the interviewers was 50 minutes late and that made the end extremely rushed. Other interviewer wasn't comfortable really digging in without the other present, so it ended up being an hour long general chat. He asked me mostly culture fit questions when he asked anything, talked a lot about work history.

Second round of interview was pretty tough. Two very high level programmers grilled me on my technical skills, looking to see where my limit was. They easily found it, but then circled back to try to re-ask questions from before in other ways. I ended up knowing more than I realized once they explained their questions a little more. Extremely friendly, and even gave me some super short and sweet Python lessons on finer points I wasn't familiar with.

Third round was general technical screening questions. Asked general stuff about server software, DNS, HTTP, etc. Asked lots of questions about testing and QA. Some more general interview questions and whiteboarding as well.

Final round was with the hiring manager and one of the lead programmers from the team. Extremely friendly, wanted to talk mostly about team and culture fit. Asked lots of general interview questions like "Describe a time when you resolved a disagreement with a team member."

Still waiting to hear back from HR, was told I should have a decision either way within a week.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer drew a diagram of a web page with a url in the bar at the top. He said "Okay, so I'm going to visit rackspace.com. I hit enter in my browser window. What happens next?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

A recruiter knocked me on LinkedIn. I wasn't sure about it but I replied positively. Then a phone screen took place with the recruiter. Next day, the team manager called for another interview and he asked some basic Java/SE questions. Next week recruiter asked me for the on-site interview. Then I went to on-site interview at San Antonio with the team they were hiring for.

Interview Questions

• -> Discussion related to my previous work - what I did, how I did
      -> What was the most challenging project I did so far and why
      -> Ask to design a high level project related to Engine.
      -> Some basic questions in the area of big data - Hadoop related questions
      -> Lot of team discussion related to Chef & Puppet
      Answer Question

Below the market rate. Living cost in Austin & San Antonio are almost same, but they offered below the market rate of Austin's cloud industry.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Had three interviews of two people each. About an hour long. There was a technical, culture, and management interview.
    The technical was fun, detailed, the interviewers were all very clever, but casual. We laughed a bit.
    The management interview was a little more straight laced, going over the resume etc.
    Culture talked about what I was like to work with, things I liked doing out side of work. I really enjoyed that they discussed what the work culture was like, and how we bring our full selves into the company, rather than just our work.

Interview Questions

• In perspective, the hardest question Rackspace asks is "What makes a good culture?"
      I think the company believes that you should hire smart, good people first, and empower them to make the company better. If you can't imagine how you want to work, and what a good culture is, you probably won't be a good fit.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

I was referred to this position by my brother. Sent my resume to his manager in late January, and had someone from HR contact me a week later to schedule an in-house interview. Had to reschedule twice, once due to a time conflict on their end, and once more because of inclement weather. Finally interviewed with the team the first week of February. When I got to Rackspace I was greeted by the recruiter who was my point of contact, he gave me a quick tour of the facilities and then took me to one of their interviewing rooms. The interview was split into 3 hour-long interviews, first two were developers the last one was a manager type. The questions were not hard and a long the lines of "Tell us about yourself", "Tell us about interesting projects", "Why Rackspace?", etc.

Got an email from the recruiter two weeks later saying the interview went "VERY well" (emphasis his) and that I was still under consideration, and that he would have an answer for me "soon". Didn't hear anything again for a month, so I emailed the recruiter to ask what happened. Got a reply the next day to hang tight, but still no answer. A week later the recruiter contacted me again to schedule another interview with a different team. Had a second interview in April, it was more of the same back-to-back hour long interviews.

I waited until the end of April without any feedback from the recruiter about the second interview. Emailed him a couple of times but never received a reply. It's now been two months since my last interview, so I'm giving up hope on ever getting a reply. I am very disappointed with the lack of communication from the recruiter.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Applied online.
    Got a call from HR. Had a phone screen of basic technical questions related to the position.
    Next I had to send some source code to solve some programming problems.
    Later I had a phone interview with my future manager; it was mostly a conversation on my experience and my interests regarding the position. After that I had two more phone screens with other developers. These where more technical interviews. They asked me questions regarding the subjects I was expected to know. After this I was called for an in person interview which lasted 3 hours. There where various sessions of 30 min. each. I interviewed with the whole team. Two of the team members asked me some pretty tough/obscure Java questions, but they were kind enough to offer tips and advice in the process, this really helped since I was very nervous.
    It was a good experience. I got an offer the day after the in person interview.
    The work culture is awesome, simply the best place I've work in up to now.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace (San Antonio, TX) in July 2010.

Interview

The interview consisted of 2 phone interviews, one with the recruiter and one with the team manager. Recruiter was nice, though 30 minutes late. The manager asked a lot of Java and OOP questions, garbage collection, threads, interfaces, abstract classes.
    In person interview consisted of similar basic java questions, some linux commands, simple programming questions (reverse string).