Rain Bird Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

2.8

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ) in September 2011.

Interview

The process was lengthy (almost 2 months) and during that period of time I had to conduct several Skype, phone and in person interviews. The company flew me in to their Tucson facilities for 2 day meetings. Their HR department was very helpful and coordinated all the travel arrangements and at the end contacted me to make sure I had a good flight back and to reimburse any missing meal or car rental expenses.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions, except the average, like "explain your strengths and weaknesses", " how did you resolve a dispute or managed a disgruntled co-worker", etc. They did want to know what experience I had in the industry and what was my knowledge on their products and the competitors.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate much since they have already established packages for each position. I was taken back by the initial offer of a company car, but when I was hired they took that off the table explaining that they had just recently changed the company's policy. This was not a good starting point and made the situation a bit aggravating since they did not make any attempt to offer anything else instead.

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ) in August 2011.

Interview

it was through a contractor, but the process was fast and easy.

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ) in June 2011.

Interview

Interview process relaxed. Flew me in, interviewed with 4 people & the director. A pathetic solidworks test followed conducted by a temp guy who was trying to make it too hard for everyone. They made it seem like they are building Rocket Engines.

Interview Questions

• Basic HR questions, nothing too complicated.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Cincinnati, OH) in June 2011.

Interview

Interviews consisted of hiring manager, national manager, and vice president. Rain Bird pays all expenses for the travel and tries to be considerate of those individuals who are currently working in another position although it becomes cumbersome to take multiple hours/ days away from your current position to go through the entire interview process.

Interview Questions

• If we were to ask you how you would grow sales by 50% immediately, what would your plan of action be?   1 Answer
    • What would be your action plan for the first six months in the position?   2 Answers

Was not a good fit at this time................

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Azusa, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Face to face with the manager was fine.

It was the company policies that raised eyebrows. Metal detectors and briefcase searches on the way in and out... Holy intrusiveness: Hair follicle drug test... What the heck for? This company makes sprinklers, not missiles. Declined just on the principle of privacy. Also heard from from employees of episodes such as the company hiring private investigators to trail employees.

Interview Questions

• You will need to submit to a hair follicle drug screen, are you okay with that?   2 Answers

Privacy... there is no reason why some employer should ask for a hair follicle drug test if the position is not sensitive.

Training and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

Standard contact by email if I was interested, followed by two very thorough phone interviews. Questions were in-depth and focused. This was followed by them flying me to Tucson for a series of interviews which went fantastic, until the last one.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about the company policy of reducing employees by the lowest performing 10% annually?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Azusa, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Initial screening by the recruiter--phone interview with recruiter--phone interview with the hiring manager--1:1 with the hiring manager

Manager Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Tucson, AZ) in October 2009.

Interview

Multiple interviews with lots of people including VP. Very straight up - with very little humor involved - Use humor sparingly with VP. They do have a list of questions to guide them - some use, some don't.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Like any other - as expected

Field Sales Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rain Bird (Orlando, FL) in September 2009.

Interview

The interview process was long, and offered no definite end.

The process consisted of:

1) A phone interview.
    2) An in-person interview.
    3) A day long ride-along with a potential colleague in the company.

All pretty normal stuff, right? As far as I could tell, I progressed well through the first three phases. I even received an email confirmation that things had gone well after the ride-along.

After that time, the interviewer, the company, and my advocate within the company all went silent simultaneously for a period of weeks. When I say silent, I mean that no further feedback save one call back indicating that an internal candidate from the home office was in the lead. "You're all in a state of limbo" I was told.

Me: "Okay, I understand that your time is valuable, when do you think it would be appropriate to call back and follow-up, I'm still very interested in this role..."

Interviewer: "Sure, please give me until the end of the month" (September)

So I did. My two calls at the beginning of October went completely un-returned. My advocate/friend inside the company also seems uninterested in speaking to me either.

I fully understand that new jobs are hard to come by these days. I would have accepted a no, a no thank you, or even a get lost.

I want to be clear that I did not pester the interviewer, but did follow-up diligently about one time every two weeks. I sent thank you cards to all those I interacted with in the company. I did everything that was professional and expected of a high caliber interviewee.

What I don't understand is why the company decided to not say anything at all to me. They seemingly chose to ignore any form of professional manners or protocol and simply say nothing. Not a "no thank you" form letter, no call, no email, no nothing.

Is it too much to ask that if I follow up, that they follow up? I though that was pretty standard.

Finally, (for the record) I am employed now at the same job I've had for some time.

What can you say about a company who can't even spend the time to say "no thanks" when a candidate has gone this far into the process? Would you want to work for them?

Interview Questions

• Will you rewrite/reword your resume to suit the needs of our company's leadership?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rain Bird (San Diego, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

Personal enterviews with operations management team members, fluid and converstional, went through my resume and chat about the key experiences as manager in previous experiences

Interview Questions

• How should I have to proceed with under performing personnel   1 Answer
    • Why decided to leave the fomer companies   1 Answer