Rakuten Marketing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rakuten Marketing Interview Questions

Updated Nov 30, 2016

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Started out as a phone screen. She briefly explained the entire interview process. Asked me for my background and told me she would get back to me about next steps.

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Applied two other positions, had an interview with a manager who left to other company 3 days after the interview. Didn't get any feedback from them and then offered a different position that I hadn't applied for. No response for 2 weeks and gave me a notice that I didn't make it. It was a terrible experience. I find it very disturbing that they would set up interviews with an employer who is leaving in couple of days after the interview. Plus, not getting any response from a recruiter (Summer) is irresponsible and rude.

Interview Questions

Rakuten Marketing Response

Oct 25, 2016 – Manager, Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to improving the candidate experience and the information you’ve provided will help us greatly in that effort.

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn, scheduled a phone screening. We discussed my experience and the job description briefly at which point she began asking about my salary history. I gave a salary range I am expecting and said we can discuss salary when we both think I'm a good fit. The recruiter asked several more times for my salary history then said it was REQUIRED for an application. No employer that respects their talent would require this, so I thanked her for her time and asked her to contact me when the policy was changed.

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Three weeks after submitting my application I received an email from the recruiter wanting to set up an interview for the following week. The interview had basic questions about myself, my experience and how I would handle stress along with balancing daily duties and such. Just under a week later i received another follow up email where the recruiter let me know that they have elected someone else.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel you would fit with our company culture?   Answer Question

Oct 14, 2016 – Manager, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value the information you provided as we are committed to improving the candidate experience in the future. Thanks!

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I originally applied for a PM role that was posted in January. At that time, I reached out to their local recruiter, expressed my interest, and provided my availability with respect to chatting about the role. It took her two weeks to respond and her response was, "Can you talk tomorrow morning at 8?" She completely disregarded my stated availability. There was no indication she had even read my email. No, "Hey, thanks for your email, I'm not available during those times," etc. I responded that I couldn't speak during that time of day on such short notice. It once again took her two weeks to respond. This response was her wanting to chat about a position for which I had not applied but that she felt I'd be a good fit for. It turned out to be a disappointing role that would not have been part of any sort of logical career move, so I declined. Feeling like she wasn't exactly understanding what I was trying to do - talk about the product manager role - I decided to go directly to a VP who turned out to be a decent guy. We had a good conversation in which he stated he felt I may be a good fit for the role. He had me meet with two of his PM's who were similarly decent. They elected to go with an internal promotion. Quite a bit of work for an outcome that was determined before I walked in the door. I stayed in contact with the VP. In April, the VP posted he was looking for another PM. I excitedly messaged him expressing my continued interest... No response. Then, in early May, they posted the actual job on LinkedIn and their website. So I applied, emailed the VP (three weeks after my aforementioned attempt) and waited... No response again. Still haven't heard back from him, probably wont. My experience isn't unique either. There are other reviews echoing this same unprofessional behavior. I don't get it - I would never treat someone the way they did, but I do know this type of behavior is an ominous sign of how the organization is run. I can only assume that if I were to work with these folks, they wouldn't behave any differently. What if I was hired and I needed help with something, or had a question? Would they just ignore me? Be weary moving forward with the product management folks.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing (Tampa, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

Definitely lengthy! HR is amazing and really wants to get to know who their potential employees are. It starts simple and escalates from there but you get to meet a lot of people in the process which is amazing.

Interview Questions

• Please explain your experience?   1 Answer

Oct 14, 2016 – Manager, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our interview process. We feel that we're not only interviewing you, but you're interviewing us as well and we're glad to hear that you feel ... More

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing.

Interview

Over the phone- it was friendly and mainly behavioral to make sure I had the criteria for an in person interview. Friendly tone and asked a lot of questions. The whole process probably took between 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why this job   1 Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing in July 2015.

Interview

Do NOT apply to Rakuten Marketing if you want a job within a few months... because the process is insanely long and drawn out. I had 7 INTERVIEWS with tons of people via Skype and phone calls. This process was almost two months. Naturally, I had applied to other jobs around the same time that I applied to Rakuten Marketing. I kept the recruiter updated with my status of other job opportunities, so it's not like they were unaware that I had other opportunities. About a month into interviews, and four interviews in, they requested 5 references. I assumed that after giving my references, I'd be given an offer. WRONG. I completed 2 more interviews after that, and I wasn't even done interviewing with team members and directors when I got a job offer elsewhere. After two months of interviews with Rakuten, and a job offer with another company, I asked if I could get some kind of an update regarding my application status. I was told that they were "still looking into the budget," and "unable to give an answer at this time." I even asked if they could give me a period of time where I could expect an answer or an update, and they couldn't even tell me that! All of my interviews were fantastic, and I was constantly told that things would be coming closer to an end soon. I am very disappointed in the lack of professionalism. They lost out on a qualified and excited candidate, and I'm sure this has been a problem in the past. I would not recommend appling with the company, because they'll probably waste your time like they did mine.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with HR then I had an on-site with a VP. The on-site interview was only supposed to be 30 minutes but lasted well over an hour. Halfway through the interview, I lost interest and had no desire to work for the company solely because of this VP; His entire focus was on money. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

The vibe of the office did seem transparent so if someone were interviewing for a position other than in the sales department, I would recommend looking into it.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest thing you have ever had to overcome in your life?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten Marketing (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2015.

Interview

I was 20 minutes early. The recruiter was very happy because she had over booked the VP. She took me right back to meet him before I had my coat off. then she took me to a room where the interview started. We chatted about my resume and the internet industry, analytics, transparency for potential clients. It was very relaxed. I then spoke to a sales rep that had been there 6 years. That was a nice plus. The over all interview lasted about an hour and 20 min.

Interview Questions

• What did I know about analytics   1 Answer