Rambus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rambus Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.6

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rambus.

Interview

Rambus called for onsite for first round. Asked Question on Projects and Hash Table, Asked some practical question on managing a big file in chunks. C++ questions about constructor, copy constructor and assignment operator.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer made me confused about simple question like what happens if malloc fail.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Interview

Phone interview. Very happy chat and casual questions. We did the interview over the WebEx, and the manager, the mentor and another senior engineer interviewed me. It was a long conversation but quite pleasant and casual. The hiring process was very professional and systematic. The HR was quite familiar with the system and informative.

Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rambus in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online on their website in mid-March and got a call for a phone-interview in mid- May. The people who interviewed are very good and asked most of the questions from my resume, regarding my VLSI projects, Thesis work and future plans and expectations for this position.

Interview Questions

• There was no much difficulty answering their questions as they asked about what I did.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rambus (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Started fairly normal, but turned into the weirdest interview process that I've ever been part of.

There was a phone screen from the HR person, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. This was then followed by a coding test that was performed at home (unlike others who have posted reviews here, I didn't think this was a difficult test at all... probably took about an hour and a half, and then only because I was trying to be really careful). Once I submitted that, they told me I did great and flew me out for an onsite in San Francisco.

At the on-site, the interviews were a mix of technical (lots of coding on the whiteboard), as well as more general questions about my background. Most of the whiteboard coding exercises didn't seem particularly difficult or unusual, although one at the end gave me some trouble. After this, I flew home.

The hiring manger emailed me the next day saying that it sounded like the team was pretty happy, but there was one person who was absent that day and wanted to interview me over the phone. I had that phone interview the next day and things seemed to go pretty well. The day after that, they emailed me saying that "the team was very happy with the interview and wanted to move forward". They asked me to send them a list of references, so I did (2 previous mangers and 1 previous lead). A couple of days later, I got notification from my references that they had been contacted. At this point all I needed to do was wait to see what the offer was going to look like, right? Evidently not.

This is where started to really deviate from the norm. Four days later, they called me back and said "We're going to pass." I immediately feared that there must have been some issue with one of my references, so I contacted all of them to see if something had gone wrong. I didn't sleep very much that night. The hiring manager as well as the HR person both contacted me within the next couple of days and assured me that it had nothing to do with the references, but rather it had something to do with the "hiring process". I tend to believe them that my references all put in a good word, as I don't know why they would have gone out of their way to tell me otherwise that if it weren't true. Still, I have not idea what really happened... according to the hiring manager, the team's analysis of my interview had inexplicably gone from "very good" to "don't hire him" over the time period during which the references were being checked. It seems hard to believe that 6 or 7 really smart people could be _that_ indecisive. The hiring manger and HR person both apologized for the way things had gone and said that I was a "victim of the process". They really did seem sincere, and I appreciate their effort to follow up, but the sequence of events will never make very much sense to me.

Interview Questions

• There was one question where you had to find the top 3 results in a much larger list.   1 Answer

IT Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rambus (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I place the blame on the recruiter for not getting an offer. I was told the job would be direct hire and later found that the recruitment company couldn't do direct placement that I had to be a contractor. They were never clear from the beging what the role was going to be but somehow they are Rambus prefered vendor...? The office was very nice, the atmosphere and employees were all plesant and nice. Lots of great benefits, free food and drinks. After the interview I met up with my recruiter to discuss and from that moment on I never heard back, no emails no phone calls and they never returned any of my calls or emails. Eventually I ended up emailed the hiring manager to find out what happened.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rambus (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Seemed to have preconceptions/prejudgements that were difficult to overcome. Sense of arrogance in interviewer made it a bit uncomfortable. Recruiter thought I had a perfect match, and sounded like it from the position description, but perhaps they look for a more aggressive, confrontational personality.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you failed to complete a major task   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rambus (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2017.

Interview

The first interviewer was totally un-prepared for the interview. He was not sure what to ask and could not remember who my current employer was in-spite of being told twice. His questions were vague at best and a back question to clarify a doubt was met with a very hostile attitude. Almost nothing about my current work experience was asked and questions were ranging from requirements gathering to design in the same dialogue.
    Finally, he got around to asking a technical question which was how do we drop duplicate characters from a string! He wanted me to write all the test cases and which I did but he had one more in mind which I did not list down and he kept hankering about that case only. He was not interested in my solution and everytime I turned back to him from the whiteboard, he would be engrossed in laptop and would say "I did not get that". By this time I totally lost interest and said that there are several ways to solve this problem and I don't want to solve it anymore. He rudely asked me if I had any questions and walked out.
    Surprisingly, a second interviewer came in and was friendlier. His question was how to read 100 numbers from user and print min, max, sum and unique! I could not believe my ears. They had called a 10+ years experience guy and these were the questions! This round ended on a good note and by this time I could not wait to leave.
    Overall a very un professional experience.

Trainee Engineer Interview

Interview

it was a technical round then a face to face technical round.

Interview Questions

• a very good knowledge on static timing analysis in asic flow   Answer Question