Random House Editorial Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Random House Editorial Assistant Interview Questions

2.5

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Random House.

Interview

Random House, the world's largest trade book publisher, has countless imprints all around the world. I was surprised but glad to see an imprint located in California. I applied online on the Random House website on a Sunday afternoon and on Wednesday afternoon (West Coast Time), I check my phone and see a voicemail from New York City. As someone with no personal connections here, I was pretty surprised about the quick response, especially after an automated email had said the process would take a while. It's from a Random House recruiter/HR person, and she wants to speak with me about the Editorial Assistant position. She's very calm and polite.

I call her back within the hour and there is no response, so I leave a quick voicemail. 24 hours, I still haven't heard back, so I decide to call again. This time, she quickly answers the phone and is very glad that I called her back. She opens my resume and we talk for about 10 minutes, although it feels longer because a lot of information on my part gets crammed in. The questions aren't difficult to answer, especially if you have your own resume open on your computer as well (as you should). You basically update about what you've been up to and what environment you work well in, and what your favorite or most notable job experience has been.

It felt difficult to not do well over the phone screening. However, I sensed that competition is fierce so there is a lot going on (as in, being considered) outside of the phone call. She said they were taking the week to call finalists and then would decide by Friday afternoon or Monday of those they wanted to come in to interview. I didn't get a call back by Monday so I wait until Tuesday afternoon to call her again. She answers the phone and said that she meant to call me on Monday, but was sick. She says that the Hiring Manager (of the imprint) has made a list of the applicants she wants to see, and I'm not on that list. However, I would be called in if they decided they wanted to see more people.

It's unfortunate that the person screening didn't seem to be the person making the in-person interview decisions, but that's not too surprising considering she and the RH Headquarters are all the way in NYC while the imprint is in CA. It's hard to say what the Hiring Manger based her decisions off of, other than simply the resume submitted. I suspect that in this case, the screener had very little say in the matter, even if she was the one to speak with the top applicants.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all pretty straightforward. Consider your resume and the work environments you work the best in.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Random House

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Random House.

Interview

I was an intern in a different imprint at RH children's. I applied for the position and asked my supervisors to speak to the hiring editors on my behalf, which they did. I then had a brief initial interview with one editor. Two weeks or so later, I had a second round of interviews with all three editors I'd be working with. Maybe two weeks later, I was hired.

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Random House (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

After sending in my resume, I was contacted by a human resources employee by email for an interview. We set up a time and date for me to interview the next morning (which she ended up changing without telling me, so no one was expecting me when I showed up...a mistake for which she took complete responsibility). Other than the scheduling miscommunication, the interviews (three in a row—first with the HR person, then individuals with the two people I would be working for) seemed to go well. I dressed up but not too much, which worked out—a suit wouldn’t have been out of place, but an outfit approximating one was fine too. I did as much research on the imprint as I could, and it helped that the HR person provided me with a list of the editor’s titles. The people were very nice, and the office was very quiet, and a bit confusing to get around (Random House owns the whole building, which is oddly divided down the center—I think).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult decision you had to make. Do you regret it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Random House (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied to an add posted online and got a call from HR. After the interview with HR, I was called in for a one-on-one interview with the department head. It was a pretty basic experience and it was also quite a long time ago. the overall experience of the interview was that I was called in for an in-person meeting and then I was asked to meet with the Senior Editor. after that, I received an offer over the phone which I accepted. It was quite straightforward, but also a long time ago

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I accepted the offer that was given