Raytheon BBN Technologies Interview Questions in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies (Arlington, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the website for the Associate Software Engineer Data Sciences position. It took about one week before an engineer at the company emailed me and we set up a phone interview. The first phone interview was a conference call with two engineers describing the position and asking questions about my experience. After the interview, I was asked to send in code and writing samples. After another week, a HR representative asked me to send a copy of my resume and set up an onsite interview. I didn't know at the time, but it was a full day of interviews from 9 am to 2 pm with lunch in between with some of the engineers.

I was really nervous on the day of the interview and the night before I couldn't sleep much. I woke up a bit late and realized I needed copies of my resume to hand out to the 10 people I would meet the next day, so I rushed to Staples. Unfortunately this caused me to arrive a bit late to the first interview at the Arlington office. The first thing I was struck by was the level of security - I had to be escorted everywhere, had to fill out a form when I first walked in, and was given a guest ID as well.

The first interview was with the first two engineers I had previously spoken with on the phone. They asked me a few basic questions about my experience again and asked me to go into more detail on one of the projects. I then met with the head of security, who explained to me that I would need to attain a secret security clearance. The process to attain it seemed unneccesarily difficult, and I expressed my concern that my mother was not a US citizen, which I took to be a risk factor. The next two people I met with were specialists in their research - one with semantic web and one with sensors. They mostly told me about their work and got a feel for what I might be interested in. There weren't any real technical questions, but more problem solving ones related to their specific research. One of the guys asked what kind of software development methodologies I was familiar with and seemed to genuinely not know what Agile was! As a government contractor, they must only work under waterfall.

I was struck by the fact that most of the people I interviewed with were quite old - mid 40s to 50s. The only young people I met were the ones I went to lunch with. They all had impressive schooling and experience - very intelligent but a bit boring. This was the trend I saw at the company. Also since this division I interviewed with really focuses on research, they research solutions, pass them on to the government and then other companies get to implement and reap the benefits. In addition, I discussed my desired salary of $70000 with HR head and she described that as "a little high." Not the klnd of company I wanted to end up working for anyway so I'm glad I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about trying to develop a sensor network to determine the size and locations of soldiers?   Answer Question