Raytheon BBN Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 26, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Typical team-building focused technical interview, textbook basics questions applicable to the role. Team side of process was all about personality compatibility. Hiring process was quick and easy, benefits selection was a challenge for fresh college graduate without any experiebce with Americal healthcare

Interview Questions

• data structures, oncurrency, cdistributed systems problems   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process began with a phone screening, in which the caller and I discussed my programming experience, previous projects I have done, and matters along those lines. After that, I was later contacted to arrange a trip to their headquarters in Cambridge, MA, where I met with individuals from the different sections of the department and learned more about the company and they learned a bit more about me.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of languages have you worked with while doing projects in school?   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Recent Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies.

Interview

I received a response to schedule a phone screening fairly quickly from BBN. There were two phone screenings, both of which focused on finding out more about my previous experience/background and my potential fit as a team member, for them to determine if it was worth flying me in from out-of-state to do an in-person interview. I never received a call back.

Networking and Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies (Cambridge, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

About a 45 minute interview with questions raining from experience, to general interview questions, to very technical questions. The technical questions were general at first, but then became more specific to the position being applied for. The interviewer was a senior member of the networking and communications business unit, so he had a thorough knowledge of the department, but did not know which project I would specifically work on, nor what the timeframe or compensation for my internship would be at that time.

Postgrad Interview

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a member of the department a week or so later. I had an initial phone screen that was partly behavioral questions. The other part used the company's analysis tool. The interviewer first walked me through some capabilities of the tool, then had me do a pretty straightforward analysis of some data.

Interview Questions

• Which section of a pie chart would I talk a closer look at first.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies.

Interview

As a potential intern, asked about current coursework, expand on points listed in resume, what type of work I was interested in. Laid back, managers and employees gave examples of projects they had worked on recently, and explained how an intern might fit into the team.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Primary interest if this employer clearly was not technical. While compensation is a vital part of any employer employee negotiation, should it be the very first thing asked of a job candidate one would be well advised to seek employment elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary?   1 Answer

Network Research Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies.

Interview

The interview was brief for about 20 minutes. Basically it was related to my resume and developer experience as the position is related to that. The interviewer provided details about responsibilities of work involving different teams which we can select based on our interest. No technical or HR questions!! so it was pretty easy. The interviewer also conveyed that once people are selected i may get involved with the project managers of the particular teams.

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies (Arlington, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the website for the Associate Software Engineer Data Sciences position. It took about one week before an engineer at the company emailed me and we set up a phone interview. The first phone interview was a conference call with two engineers describing the position and asking questions about my experience. After the interview, I was asked to send in code and writing samples. After another week, a HR representative asked me to send a copy of my resume and set up an onsite interview. I didn't know at the time, but it was a full day of interviews from 9 am to 2 pm with lunch in between with some of the engineers.

I was really nervous on the day of the interview and the night before I couldn't sleep much. I woke up a bit late and realized I needed copies of my resume to hand out to the 10 people I would meet the next day, so I rushed to Staples. Unfortunately this caused me to arrive a bit late to the first interview at the Arlington office. The first thing I was struck by was the level of security - I had to be escorted everywhere, had to fill out a form when I first walked in, and was given a guest ID as well.

The first interview was with the first two engineers I had previously spoken with on the phone. They asked me a few basic questions about my experience again and asked me to go into more detail on one of the projects. I then met with the head of security, who explained to me that I would need to attain a secret security clearance. The process to attain it seemed unneccesarily difficult, and I expressed my concern that my mother was not a US citizen, which I took to be a risk factor. The next two people I met with were specialists in their research - one with semantic web and one with sensors. They mostly told me about their work and got a feel for what I might be interested in. There weren't any real technical questions, but more problem solving ones related to their specific research. One of the guys asked what kind of software development methodologies I was familiar with and seemed to genuinely not know what Agile was! As a government contractor, they must only work under waterfall.

I was struck by the fact that most of the people I interviewed with were quite old - mid 40s to 50s. The only young people I met were the ones I went to lunch with. They all had impressive schooling and experience - very intelligent but a bit boring. This was the trend I saw at the company. Also since this division I interviewed with really focuses on research, they research solutions, pass them on to the government and then other companies get to implement and reap the benefits. In addition, I discussed my desired salary of $70000 with HR head and she described that as "a little high." Not the klnd of company I wanted to end up working for anyway so I'm glad I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about trying to develop a sensor network to determine the size and locations of soldiers?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Raytheon BBN Technologies (Columbia, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

I spoke to an HR person on the phone for about 30 minutes. She told me she would get back to me in a few days and I initially thought that would be to set up an onsite interview, but instead she offered me a position. I'm not sure if they forgot to do a second interview or not because from talking to the other interns, this was not very common.