Raytheon Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Raytheon Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter in the Software Engineering department at an on-campus job fair, and gave him my resume. About a week later, I received a call from the Software Engineering department. They told me that they liked my resume and would like to invite me to a "hiring event" (during which they would be interviewing numerous candidates for numerous open positions throughout all of the departments in Tucson, AZ). I also received calls from two other groups (both within the systems test department). During the calls, I was asked about my graduation date, grades, and if I planned to stay in Tucson (I live there now). Each of the callers also provided me with information about their group and department. During one of the calls, I was also asked to discuss some of the research I am currently doing.

The hiring event was a 2-day process. During the first day, we learned about Raytheon through a plant tour and several informative sessions. There was a meet-and-greet style event in the evening. The second day was reserved for interviews. All of my interviews were primarily behavioral, I had hardly any technical questions asked of me. There was ample time for me to ask any questions I had. In nearly all of the interviews, it seemed that answering my questions was their priority.

We found out the evening of the interviews if we would receive any offers. The details of the offer came about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about *x* project that you worked on. (and they chose a project from my resume) Various questions stemmed from that (such as, what was a challenge? How did you handle working with others? How did you handle conflicts? What, exactly, was your role?)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Raytheon

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

Applied online. Initial phone screen was very pleasant experience. Conversed with two managers over the phone. They were very friendly and cordial. No technical questions - just questions about experience and interest in position. Also discussed more details about the position. Decisions will be released in June where final candidates will be brought in for on-site interview, so ignore offer statuts.

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

I applied through on-campus career service and it was straight-forward. It was mostly personality based and they evaluate your disposition and aptitude. There were no difficult technical questions (I hear this has changed) or whiteboard coding. There's an extensive background check.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Raytheon (Egg Harbor Township, NJ) in February 2016.

Interview

A recuiter emailed me a request for a phone interview. I accepted and it was scheduled for 10 days later. The hiring managers called me. Interview was pretty brief. We talked about my experience. Then, I was told that I would recieve a callback within the next week about further steps.

Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (McKinney, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I met one of the recruiters at a career fair at my university and we chatted for a bit. He encouraged me to apply online if I was interested, but it seemed like they needed employees since I got a call from them within a few days, without ever submitting an online application. I was invited for an interview at my university campus for the following day.

I was met by two employees, one from the SAS division and one from IIS. Pretty standard initial meeting, mostly asked me questions about my resume and pitched me the general culture of the company. We spoke for about 30 minutes before it ended.

About a week later I received several emails from the people I had met with as well as different recruiters telling me about job openings they had. I applied for a position and was contacted the next day about coming to the McKinney branch for another set of interviews. I arrived on site by 8am with four other potential hires.

We spent the first half of the morning going over presentations about the company, the different divisions, and hierarchical structure (which was massive and the most boring part of the entire process), and then each of the candidates and myself were required to give a brief 2 minute presentation about a technical project we had done. Afterwards they put us all into different rooms for 3 sets of interviews lasting a few hours. All the questions were incredibly easy, mostly behavioral. I was very disappointed by the lack of technical questions. The ones they did ask could easily be answered by a freshman in college. All in all the 3 interviews lasted between 10am to 12pm and consisted of two 1-on-1 interviews, and one with 3 other employees.

Afterwards we were all treated to lunch with a few of the software managers and a few of the newer employees. The room was eerily quite for the amount of people joining us for lunch, not much small talk going on so I did my best to keep conversations going. After lunch we were given a brief tour of the campus as well as one of the labs and finally escorted back to the lobby by 2pm.

Interview Questions

• What are the pros and cons of using global variables   Answer Question
    • How would you call methods than you wanted to be executed every time an object was instantiated   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job and then got a call from a recruiter. We went over my background for the job and we scheduled a phone interview a few days later. The phone interview went smoothly I answered a some java oo questions to their satisfaction. A few days later I got an email with and offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Raytheon (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Very straightfoward and quick. Everyone was very prompt, polite, and courteous. Overall a fairly enjoyable experience. I learned they had offices all around the world and being transferred from one location to another was not uncommon.

Better offer.

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Aurora, CO) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied on their website, contacted by a recruiter about 3 weeks later for an interview. Interviewed a few days after that. One interview with a tech lead, 85% discussing experience, 10% technical, 5% just for fun talk. Very relaxed and enjoyable. Received offer about 2 weeks later. I've only done commercial-sector work and, compared to it, there's a lot of paper work involved.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated a moderate increase in offered salary. To all people who've been told they don't negotiate without a competing offer, either you don't have enough assets (experience, education, etc) for bargaining power or you need to work on your negotiation skills. I recommend investing a decent bit of time and money in learning effective negotiation. It's a low risk investment with high returns.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Raytheon (Dallas, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by someone within a week. They asked me what I would want to do in a position and after I replied they said that it sounds like the position that I would have there. I was flown out the next week for a 1 day interview (it would have been the day after the phone call but I had another interview on that day).
    I was escorted to a meeting room with 2 senior engineers and an engineering manager and we had a discussion about projects that I had worked on and my understanding of Real Time Embedded Systems. After our discussion, they stepped out for a few seconds, came back in and said they would be offering me the job. I took a brief tour of the facilities after this.
    I spent about 2.5-3 hours on the Raytheon Campus.

Advice:
    Know the position listing well and refresh yourself on relevant discussion topics.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated a signing bonus and slight salary increase. This took 1 day. They said they could work with me much more on salary if I had a competing offer from another defense contractor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Raytheon (El Segundo, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Met with a group consisting of the software engineering manager and two other employees. Almost seemed like they were speed-interviewing since the entire interview was scheduled for only 30-minutes, and I was almost rushed out so that they could get to the next interview candidate.

Interview consisted mainly of describing my experience of the software development life-cycle and related processes of my prior job; no highly technical questions asked. Didn't get a tour of the facility, so it would have been hard to know if it was a fitting place to work.

From reading other reviews, it seems like the interview format varies based on the interviewer or department. It was a strange interview, but I don't have any major complaints. Got a rejection email 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with [skill from your resume]   Answer Question