Raytheon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Raytheon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Raytheon

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Sterling, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by email to set up an interview with the department manager. The day of the interview, the manager was unavailable due to "circumstances beyond his control." Instead, I was interviewed by 2 other engineers and a lower-level manager. I was told I would be contacted one way or the other in about a week. Two weeks later, hearing nothing, I called the manager I interviewed with. He directed me to an HR rep, who routed me to another HR rep, who sent me an email 2 days later saying someone else already got the job.

Interview Questions

• From the manager: "My son is starting at CNU (where I went) this fall, can you recommend some things to do on the weekends?"   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Raytheon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Dulles, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

I was first contacted by HR on June 5th and interviewed on June 11. I received a Letter of Intent on June 20, an offer on July 3 and was supposed to start on July 14, but a last minute glitch would have delayed that a week. A rather long process.

It could have been even longer as I pushed for a response from Raytheon after I received another job offer. Also, the day before I was supposed to start work their nurse contacted me and wanted a physician report before she would clear me for work. I had broken my wrist eight months earlier and hurt my knee in the fall, so the nurse wanted to confirm I could walk and type! Raytheon's medical group had taken a week to process my medical form, so by the time I could arrange to meet with a doctor and have Raytheon process the doctor's response it might have added a week delay to my start date.

When you accept an offer from Raytheon, you're given many different forms to fill out. You're also directed to more than 16 internal documents to read that describes work policies. One document listed another document that you were to bring with you on the first day, but didn't provide a link to the document. However, I found it in their online document library. I carefully read this document but could not agree to signing it. Here's the clause in their "Employee Agreement - Proprietary Information, Inventions and Other Intellectual Property" document that concerned me:

"2.10 Employee hereby grants Raytheon the right to use, reproduce and to authorize others to use and reproduce his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and the like as Raytheon may deem appropriate."

There doesn't appear to be a time limit as to when they can use your name and other information. Also, they don't have to ask your permission or inform you when they use that information. I assume they're requiring this because they want to use your personal/professional information to market any ideas/patents/copyrights you develop as an employee. I'm a nobody, but I'm a somebody and I don't want my name and other information used without my consent or knowledge.

The other issue/concern I had related to the medical information they require before you start. They require completion of a 4-page medical form that asks about your visual, hearing and speech abilities, physical impairments, blood pressure, chest problems, allergies, chemical intolerances, occupational injuries, immune system deficiencies, medications and vaccines. They want the dates you had illnesses such as Measles, Mumps, Small Pox, Typhoid, BCG, tuberculosis skin test, etc. The last time I supplied that much information was for an insurance application.

They take the answers on this form seriously, and as I mentioned earlier, a broken wrist 8 months earlier concerned them. If I needed to use a cane or was old and had bad knees, I'm not sure I would have qualified for the job. If they're willing to hire people who are not able-bodied, they must be defining disabilities pretty narrowly.

I had been looking forward to working with the people I met during my interview. But Raytheon's paperwork and policies raised red flags. I feel it has a lot to say about how Raytheon treats it's people.

Interview Questions

• They did ask me examples where I lead teams and it wasn't something that was mentioned in the job description. So it was unexpected, but a good thing.   Answer Question

Unwilling to sign a document that stated: "Employee hereby grants Raytheon the right to use, reproduce and to authorize others to use and reproduce his/her name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and the like as Raytheon may deem appropriate." Also, Raytheon required me to get doctor's ok that I could type and walk given that I had fell 8 months prior and broke my wrist and hurt my knee. I can type - I had produced and publicly published code during that time and had no problem walking during the interview, but I would have had to pay a doctor to confirm it and not get paid while I waited for the Raytheon nurse to review the doctors notes. It took a week for the initial review of my medical record, so I'm assuming that would be another week without pay.

I liked the people I met and was looking forward to the work and working with them. But I would have been a Raytheon employee and subject to their policies and the way they treat people.

Anonymous Employee in Tewksbury, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tewksbury, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied on the company website and a month later, received an invitation for an interview at the Tewksbury location. Plane tickets, hotel, and rental car were all provided for.

On the day of the interview, I arrived at 2:45 PM and met with a few other candidates in the main lobby. We were then led through the facility to a conference room, where someone spoke for thirty minutes, discussing his experience at Raytheon. Afterwards, the candidates were shown their interview schedules. My schedule had 4 interviews, each with 1 or 2 people from a different department, each 30 minutes long with a 10 minute break in between (food and refreshments were provided).

The interviewers would spend the first 5-10 minutes explaining their department and work. Afterwards, they would look through my resume and ask for more information about my projects and work experience. Hardly any technical questions were asked (I think I only got one), they mostly asked basic behavioral questions.

Despite being there for nearly 4 hours, the interviews weren't too bad. It felt like they just wanted to meet you and see which department you would fit in. In fact, during one of the breaks, the hiring manager gave a brief overview of benefits, as if they were trying to convince us to work at Raytheon. Overall a good experience and I got a response in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What would you say is your strongest trait?   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to go with software engineering?   Answer Question
    • If the company made you work extra hours without overtime pay, how would you react?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not try to negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Raytheon (Garland, TX).

Interview

Submitted resume at college job fair. Got an interview during their visit, followed by an on-site interview. It was a pretty straightforward process. The recruiter basically told me they wanted to hire me, and asked me what I needed to hear to accept their offer. In retrospect I should have tried to negotiate a higher salary (it was already generous), but I was just happy to get the job at that point.

Interview Questions

• Not really any technical questions that I can remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was a college graduate happy to take the job, plus I was (at the time) not very confident to have negotiated anything.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Contacted by a college recruiter and had a one-on-one interview with an Electrical Engineer who did not know exactly what I would be doing as a Software Engineer. Had some EE questions that I marginally answered. Was later flown to Dallas for a recruiting event with 20 or so other College Seniors for a long weekend. Had several mixers, tours, and interviewed with two different groups, one from IT and one from Software Engineering. Had a screening where we were fingerprinted and did the drug test.

Interview Questions

• Hardest questions for me at the time were about how I would handle various workplace issues. Since I had little experience with those types of situations, I had not even thought about how I might handle those kinds of things.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate salary, but did negotiate hiring bonus, relocation and start date. There were no issues in getting any of those things that I asked for.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

Meet with Raytheon at campus career fair. They came back a few weeks later to perform a screening. It wasn't for any specific position, just to put information in their database.

Interview was mostly behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you worked on a team and you all had different perspectives", "tell me when you faced a challenge that you felt was too much", those types of thnigs.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Laid back, not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't much difficulty; mostly behavioral questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Raytheon (State College, PA) in January 2008.

Interview

I responded to an online job posting for an entry level software engineering position. I was contacted within days to arrange for me to drive to their office for an interview. I was local so I drove there. I had to go through security when I arrived. Upon arrival I was greeted by HR who took me to an interview room. There I met the hiring manager for the position who was an engineer. He gave me information about the job and asked typical interview questions about my experience. He was followed by two other engineers. Each person interviewed me for about 20 minutes.

A junior engineer who would likely be a peer at the company took me to lunch at Applebees. After that I went home. I heard back from their corporate hiring office a few days later (note this was a different point of contact than HR that I first communicated with). They sent me paperwork. I declined the offer because I had a better offer. After I declined there seemed to be some mis-communication in their offices because I got a call about a month later asking why I hadn't responded yet.

Interview Questions

• In front of you are three light switches. Only one does anything, and it turns on the light downstairs. From here you can't see the light, and it makes no sound. You must determine which switch operates the light, BUT you can only go check it once. How do you figure out which switch is for the light?   26 Answers

I had a better offer from another company. I think their offer was for around $59k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Raytheon (Baltimore, MD) in January 2010.

Interview

The interview was with the hiring manager who by the way was really nice. He gave a little bit of back ground on the position and then went on the ask questions about my resume and my back ground. Most of the questions revolve around have I worked with a specific technology or a tool and 'How would you debug xyz?'

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging project you worked one?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Raytheon (Marlborough, MA) in April 2007.

Interview

Hiring process is slow but comprehensive and you stay well informed. Waited for interview notification for one month after applying online. Interview was pleasant. Everyone was pleasant. Spoke to two different managers and one engineer and one HR person. It felt relatively laid back and informal for an interview. There were no difficult/annoying/stupid questions. All questions were about technical ability and concerns about Raytheon that I may have. No personality/what if questions. Took half a day ~3 to 4 hours.

They will reimburse you if you drive more than 60 miles to the interview (ask) and they will fly you in.

Interview Questions

• Was asked the difference between two Java concepts. Was not entirely sure but had an idea and it was OK.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation college hire