Raytheon Systems Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Raytheon Systems Engineer II Interview Questions

2.3

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Marlborough, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

I applied online, and a week later, I received an email from an engineering fellow about a phone screening. He asked me what type of work I was interested in, and explained their work. He liked my responses, so arranged to fly me out for an on-site interview. HR arranged all the travel and stuff for me, and I arrived in Marlborough the afternoon before. The directions to the site were a bit trickier than I thought, so I arrived a few minutes late.

I had four interviews with four managers. First one just talked at me, but the second guy was pretty excited about technical questions, which covered a whole range (waveforms, networks, coding, filters), and third guy was kind of behavioral. Fourth interview was also just chatting, mainly about life in Massachusetts. I had lunch with one of the junior engineers, officially not an interview, and then had a follow up with the recruiter, who said she'd be in touch with me within a week. This was a Wednesday. I received a call from her on Monday, and the offer package arrived on Tuesday.

Interview Questions

• Why does the DVBS-2 standard use 16APSK instead 16PSK constellation? Also some questions about filtering, since I usually would have separated that from communications subjects (more towards signal processing)   1 Answer

I think that relocation assistance was insufficient. HR was not willing to budge on it. I took another offer with another company that was local (same salary and everything)

Other Interview Reviews for Raytheon

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ) in April 2012.

Interview

The hiring process for me was a huge hiring event. Raytheon brought about one hundred or so potential employees (candidates) for a two day hiring event that felt like a Raytheon only career fair. They booked the Lowes Ventana Canyon hotel, so candidates feel nicely wined and dined. The first day is all information presentations such as benefits presentations, site tour, company history and performance presentation, local home purchasing information, information about local attractions, and apartment hunter point of contacts.

The evening before the interviews, candidates have the opportunity to meet department managers and arrange additional interviews. So candidates are brought in for a specific interview (the job you applied for and got in the door with), but then candidates spend a cocktail hour and half meeting the other department managers talking with employees in that section (present with the manager) and line up additional interview around the specific interview candidates were brought to the event for.

The interview takes about an hour. Nothing out of the norm for technical interviews, such as; asking about thesis, projects, skills, and minor technical challenges to verify technical competence.

One thing to note that bachelor’s will feel slightly out matched at Raytheon. I thought I would be above the mean going to the event with an MS, but there were mostly MS candidates at the event. There are even a lot of Ph.Ds at the event, but few candidates with a BS. I applied to Raytheon without an MS for years with nothing and the minute I applied as an MS I got the invite right away.

Well I hope this was helpful and good luck.

Interview Questions

• There was no really challenging question. I had to explain my thesis to people who did not know much about the nitch I was explaining.   1 Answer

Negotiation

A little back and forth with my current employer, squeezed a signing bonus, and a better moving package (which has tens of thousands of dollars worth of support including house hold goods movement, temporary housing funds, daily per diem, lease break, house hunting trips paid for, milage, airfare, and a several thousand dollar misc fund) out of Raytheon. They were fairly immovable on salary, but the salary is very competitive.

Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon (Woburn, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was called on a Tuesday to be scheduled for a group interview on Thursday. Prior to accepting, I had to fill out a more formal application form and I had to submit my SSN.

When I arrived, there was food served and a presentation was shown. There was a small group of 5 people with different experience levels. The presentation shows what they do and what benefits come with working for Raytheon. After a half hour presentation the group was split up to go to their individual interviews.

I had 3 interviews which lasted 2.5 hours. I realized now that these guys were the people I will be reporting to. In my offer letter it stated which person I will be reporting to and it was one of the 3 people that interviewed me.

After the interview, I was told by HR that they will be making their decision soon. The next day, I was contacted and told that Raytheon will be extending an offer. Approximately 10 business days after the verbal offer, I received my formal offer in the mail.

Interview Questions

• I fully prepared myself by seeing my career specialist and having a full mock interview with fake questions. Be prepared to bring questions to be interactive with the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I personally did not negotiate, because I thought the offer was more than fair.

Systems Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Raytheon.

Interview

I was invited out to one of Raytheon's Hiring Events in Tucson. You get an initial phone call or email probe asking whether or not you are looking for or interested in employment with Raytheon. Next, you'll get a call from a hiring manager from a department that is interested in you, who will do your screening interview, which basically consists of questions about your schoolwork or internship experience, and how it relates to their particular branch.

If you perform well, you will be invited out with about 150 other younger individuals (Age: 20 - mid 30s) at the Leows Ventana Canyon Resort in Tucson, AZ. It's a really spectacular event, where you get to meet and network with other recent grads/current students, as we all with active managers and engineers. You will be assigned 2-4 interviews (maybe more if you play your cards right), and will do them on site at the resort.

My particular interviews were entirely behavioral, I'm guessing had a dual B.S. and M.S. in Aerospace Engineering and they thought I would know my technical stuff pretty well. I did hear of other people getting some technical questions asked though, but none of them were mentioned to be mind blowingly difficult

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not try to negotiate, as the compensation was VERY reasonable.

Get the interview by being yourself. If you've been invited to the hiring fair... they. want. you. The only thing they are concerned with is your personality and desire.

Systems Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Raytheon in March 2013.

Interview

First I did a brief phone interview of approximately 10 minutes. They asked me questions related to my resume and also about how extensive my skills were in Matlab. They were pleased with my answers and said they would contact me about a hiring event they were doing in Tucson toward the end of the month. At the event I interviewed with 3 separate departments and the interview questions were the usual personality fit questions, e.g. " tell us of a time you had several options for a project solution. What was your thought process behind it and what was the result?"

Interview Questions

• Tell of a time in which you had two employees who did not get along. How did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They said they wouldn't negotiate unless you had an offer from another company

Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Raytheon (Marlborough, MA) in August 2009.

Interview

Had 6 interviews - know your resume well. Questions tend to build off of your resume. They may ask what if you did you project this way? Is it possible? What potential problems do you forsee?

Surprisingly, I didn't get any behavioral questions. I would be prepared with them just in case.

Interview Questions

• What if you did your project this way? What potential problems do you forsee?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ) in September 2017.

Interview

Entire process took about 2 months. Recruiter E-mailed me for a phone interview. Few days after the phone interview, got an E-mail to interview on site. Chose a date and was flown out, all expenses paid for a 3-day stay. 1 day, 5 hour interview with 6 different people.

Interview Questions

• How does the work you perform now relate to the job description? (Phone)   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you took a risk?   1 Answer
    • You are creating a security system for your house to protect you and your family. Describe the layers of protection.   1 Answer
    • Now devise a plan to break into your house....   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ) in April 2018.

Interview

Brief phone interview, series of interviews at Raytheon (HR, behavioral, technical). Some of the behavioral questions were a little more offbeat, and also included some Raytheon trivia questions. The technical focused on skills I had listed on my resume, and some general math.

Interview Questions

• How do you define success?   Answer Question
    • Who is the current CEO of Raytheon?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when... (group dynamics question)?   Answer Question
    • Questions about resume and general skills (in my case, things about coding and object oriented programming, general math, general problem solving)   Answer Question

Systems Engineer II Interview

Interview

1st interview was over the phone. Then they flew me out to Tuscon AZ for the weekend, all expenses paid. 1 interview with one person - very straightforward. Mostly questions about my school work and senior project.

Interview Questions

• Describe your senior project.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tucson, AZ) in November 2016.

Interview

I was cold called by a recruiter for one of their hiring events (they had my resume on hand from last year). The event lasted a few days and included a tour of the plant, a networking event where you can meet the section heads and potentially score more interviews, then an interview day. I came with one guaranteed interview and ended up with three; could've gotten more if I wanted.

Interview Questions

• Varied from group to group; ranged from several high-level technical questions about previous work to your garden variety interview questions to no questions whatsoever.   Answer Question