Raytheon Systems Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

2 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Systems Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Raytheon (Marlborough, MA) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online via company website, and received a phone call two weeks later from an talent acquisition person to schedule an interview. Drove to the interview two days later.

**One quick tip about the interview before I comment further: This Raytheon office (and many others) has no dress code and everyone dresses EXTREMELY casually. Going in wearing a full suit will make you look silly. Now that I work here, we all laugh at the people on interviews when they come in. A nice blazer with a simple oxford shirt, wool tie, slacks, and semi-formal oxford shoes looks polished without looking like you're out of place. Most people will assume you're a contractor, and not an interviewee.

The interview itself was onsite, with one technical director, and another department head, both in their respective offices. (I later learned that I would be working for neither; the people whom you interview with are peers of people that you WILL be working with. This way there is no bias, and a fair assessment of you and your qualifications). Upon entering the building, you will be escorted everywhere. This isn't odd when you really think about it due to the sensitive nature of the stuff that goes on here, and its a big building and easy for someone to "wander off" in. If you get hired, you'll hear all about ITAR/EAR training, and this whole escort process will make a lot more sense.

By far the strangest interview I have ever been on, mostly due to the fact that there were almost zero questions. The interview opened up with a brief introduction to what the department did and some examples of work. Then moved on to just going over my resume, with limited questions. Discussed what I liked in school, and my projected area of expertise (controls). Some more basic questions about classes, if I knew any coding languages (specifically C), but overall no technical questions, just interest in what I have done/will do.

Moved on after that interview to take a tour through some of the labs in the building, and then went to the second interview. This wasn't so much of an interview as the engineer just telling me what he did, what projects hes worked on, what systems engineers do at Raytheon, and where I would be fitting in to the mix. It basically felt like an orientation.

I was then escorted out, and told I would be contacted in a few weeks. Ironically I left feeling like they had already hired someone, and they were just going through the motions. Alas, a week later I got a call from a representative with an offer package, and subsequently a request for a drug test and a background check.

Started working about 3.5 weeks after the interview process started.

Interview Questions

• What is/was the work that you're most proud of?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Since I'm an intern there was no negotiation (happy to be employed!). The compensation was more than enough

According to coworkers, Raytheon typically pays more than competitors, but as I've seen, advances at a slower rate. This is because Raytheon is one of the few career companies left. Once you're in and you perform well, they're looking to keep you around; they're not going to just dump you at the termination of a contract, unless you are bad at your job.

Other Interview Reviews for Raytheon

Systems Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tewksbury, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Raytheon (Tewksbury, MA) in February 2009.

Interview

They use an outside company Hireright for the initial background check, this process is a little lengthy and confusing, some info and apps are submitted to your HR contact while some go to Hireright. Theinterview itself included a brief company overview, then I met with several different potential section managers who later did a selection process of which interns they each wanted. Only a very short offer acceptance window after the offer had been made, like a week or two at most.

Interview Questions

• What did you dislike about your previous internship experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation whatsoever, thier offer was a 25% increase over my previous internship an I was satisfied.