Ready At Dawn Studios Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ready At Dawn Studios

3D Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ready At Dawn Studios (Irvine, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

You must first send in a portfolio/resume. After they review that they will do a phone interview followed up with sending you an art test. Unlike most studios you aren't given very little time to complete it (most tests given are with 7-10 day deadlines) and can spend the time required to perfect it.
    If you pass that they will have an in studio interview with you can drive to or if you are too far away they will offer to fly you out. They show you around the studio and make sure you are what they are looking for, it is pretty relaxed.
    Normally you will get an offer that you have 2 weeks to accept when leaving from the onsite interview.

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ready At Dawn Studios (Irvine, CA).

Interview

The first 30 minutes of the call was spent arguing about what my previous job had me doing day to day. Very negative tone and attitude right off the bat. After that a there were quite a bit of general questions about software I have used and what the title meant as far as job responsibilities. The whole tone was very negative and after talking with numerous people who disliked working for the studio I took this negativity as a blessing in disguise.

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ready At Dawn Studios (Irvine, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

It starts with a phone interview and if you pass you come in for an interview and lunch at the studio. The phone interview seemed pretty straight forward and it just seemed like it was a way to get a baseline for what I do or don't know. The studio interview was much more in-depth. I meet a lot of people at the office and was able to display my skills as well as see if these were the type of people I would like to work with.

Interview Questions

• The asked a lot of math specific questions so it's good to make sure your math skills are up to date.   Answer Question

- Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ready At Dawn Studios.

Interview

If you get a face-to-face interview it usually indicates that they might be ready to hire you but want to see if your personality will fit in with the company. Questions are all pretty standard interview questions for the position.

Interview Questions

• No exceptional questions seem to be surfacing from memory.   Answer Question

Environment Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ready At Dawn Studios (Irvine, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I was given roughly two weeks to complete an art test before I ever got to speak with a representative to see if the the studio and I would be good fits for each other. Following my test submission and approval, I was pretty quickly contacted with an offer for an on-site interview.

The interview was somewhat professional but relaxed, and was not difficult. Some red flags were raised throughout it, the most prominent being that only one employee was genuinely interested in getting to know me as a person and asked me questions about myself, and she was not a lead or manager. The members of management I spoke with seemed indifferent and unexcited, and were more concerned with telling me why the company is so great than finding out if I would culturally be a good fit. They were more friendly and excited when they were showing me the facilities and their projects, but again, it seemed like they were more excited by themselves than getting to know me.

At the end of the interview I was given a low offer. When I tried to negotiate it, the studio rep's response was not very professional and he seemed to be insinuating I'm not worth what I think I am and what other studios have offered me I did not feel valued at all, and my impression was that they were simply trying to fill a position without really caring about my well-being or fit within the culture.

Overall, the team members were very skilled at their jobs and the studio had very impressive tech and facilities, but the culture did not seem very healthy and inviting.

Interview Questions

• Most questions involved the choices I made while completing the art test. Almost nothing was asked about my personality, experiences, or philosophies.   Answer Question

Level Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ready At Dawn Studios.

Interview

I applied by sending in an email as instructed on their website. The next day I got an email from their recruiter who sent me a Level Design test, before ever mentioning an interview. I spent about 15-20 hours creating a comprehensive design document according to their test. After submission, I never heard anything until following up. I was told it would be about 2 weeks before hearing back. After this time, I got no response, so I followed up again. My email was completely ignored. Do not waste your time completing a test like I did without at least first getting an interview. Very poor taste left in my mouth after this, they are only looking for fresh ideas from designers without the intent to hire.

Interview Questions

• Will you complete a Level Design test for us?   1 Answer

Executive Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ready At Dawn Studios (Irvine, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed directly by the principle owner of the company. He was thorough, thoughtful and respectful during the entire process. He asked pointed questions that made it clear to me that he was committed to making the very best games in the world, treating his current team as good as possible and building games that their players would love.

Interview Questions

• There were many great and challenging questions. However, what I liked best was he asked what games I was currently playing. Asking that question suggests that playing games matters and that it was not just about the experience, skills and acumen. Obviously, if I didn't have those core skills and experience...me playing games would not have been enough. Bottom line, playing games matters at RAD when hiring decisions are being made. There was also a big focus on cultural fit in the interview process...again, another key element to creating and maintaining a healthy, happy and successful company.   Answer Question