Red Frog Events Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Red Frog Events Interview Questions

2.9

PHP Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Frog Events (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a message the following day to schedule a phone interview with a current web developer. I scheduled for the following week.

The phone interview was with one of their current developers. He began by discussing some of my experiences, what frameworks I had used, what I loved about web development, etc. He then moved on to culture fit questions, such as how would deal with a difficult co-worker. I was then asked a lot of questions about what I do outside of work, what I liked about Red Frog, and more general culture fit questions. We seemed to get along.

The following day, I was invited for an on-site interview. I traveled to Chicago (I lived in a city close by) and sat down with a recruiter and the web developer I spoke with on the phone. I got a tour of the office before being led to a conference room. They asked more specific questions about my work experience, PHP, and the Laravel platform. There was a lot of comparing and contrasting the different technologies I used in my career. The recruiter also asked many behavioral questions, such as what my biggest accomplishment was. I was told I would receive a decision and possibly an offer within the next week.

At the end of that week, I was asked to schedule another on-site interview. I requested a video chat instead, which was accepted. I was also given two basic coding projects to do the week before my interview. While they were not too bad and fair, it was difficult for me to devote the time needed to produce a 100% quality product considering I had family issues at the time and was a full-time student. I sent the code sample on the day of my interview.

The video chat consisted of me presenting my solutions to a team of 3 developers and explaining why I made the decisions I made. I then had more behavioral and general technical questions, such as why I liked web development, what I was going to school for, etc. Some questions from the previous interview were repeated, I have a feeling as though they were testing to see if I had further researched what was discussed in the last interview. Following that, an HR representative came in for the last 10 minutes and did a lightning round of situational "Tell me about a time..." questions.

Two days later, I received a generic rejection message from Jobvite, which I considered unprofessional considering how much personal interaction I had with my recruiter during the process. I do not think I would apply at Red Frog again.

Interview Questions

• Out of all of the programming languages out there, why PHP?   Answer Question
    • What are looking forward to in PHP 7?   Answer Question
    • What do you like and dislike about Laravel?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult boss or co-worker. How did you remedy the situation?   Answer Question

Leadership Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

Impersonal. Overly automated. Out of touch, in that one-size does not fit all. The thing is, when you go to hire for an actual leadership-level role, you need to engage with that level of professional in an appropriate way, and pre-recorded video interviews are NOT it. Additionally, I didn't receive ONE single phone call in the entire process, which progressed through several steps; absolutely absurd when hiring for a functional leader. Also, whoever was the behind-the-scenes contact via email changed a few times, and also insisted on communicating within the application platform, not via regular email.....or...wait for it...phone.
    Overall, I'm glad I continued through to get a first-hand sense of how automation doesn't necessarily improve the recruitment process; it was essentially an epic demo, from the end-user perspective.
    The end of the process was clunky as well, it really was a 'pulling the plug on this role due to downsizing' message versus any other context.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall since it was not a dialogue, but a pre-recorded question set.   Answer Question

Inter Interview

Interview

Not that intimidating despite how other applicants perceive it. Good company and on a successful path to continue trend. Interview was phone and intercom then tour of the office. Great experience even just getting to see the atmosphere

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Frog Events (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

I submitted my application to Red Frog and received a phone call to schedule an interview within a week. The phone interview was heavily personality-based, asking questions about things like my best halloween costume, what type of theme day would I plan for the office-- really nothing about experience. About a week later I got a call asking me to come to an in-person interview at their Chicago office (they did NOT pay for me to travel). I was in school at the time in NC, so I paid about $350 to fly to Chicago for a weekend.

The in-person interview was... strange. Their office is awesome, and the girl who gave me the office tour was pretty nice, however both girls who actually interviewed me seemed to be pretty tired of the interview process. They asked me a few skills-based questions, but more personality-based questions (if your uncle had a pizza shop, what would be the best-selling item?). They told me I would hear from them within a week because they "hate to leave people hanging." I never heard from them until I called them multiple times.

Interview Questions

• If you could plan a theme day for the office, what would the theme be?   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Frog Events (Chicago, IL) in December 2012.

Interview

Interviews:
    Had a phone interview which consisted of a lot of personable questions. "Tell me about something not on your resume?" "If you had to design an IPhone app, what would it be?" "What do you like better, Linux, Windows, or Apple?" It also had some behavioral questions mixed in, like, "What type of group member do you dislike the most?"

The in-person interview was just like the phone interview. First question, you had to select a random question from a deck of cards. Those are mostly silly questions. There are some personal questions, creative ones, and behavioral questions all mixed together. They also throw you a blue ball, where you need to answer the question on your left thumb. Mine was, "What's more important, the path or the destination?"

Overall:
    At first I thought I failed the phone interview, because I was stumped and clearly nervous. After about 2 or so weeks, I was called back for an in person interview. So, I was really suspicious, since everyone else here seems to be getting called for in-person interviews, no matter how they did on the phone interview.

I decided to go, anyway, taking this in person interview with a grain of salt. I drove 3 hours to Chicago, with the same deal as everyone else about not being compensated for travel. When I got there, I was given a quick tour. There were a bunch of other candidates waiting, with suits and ties on, while I just had my usual clothes. I thought this was good, because everyone else, including the interviewers, had every day clothes on, as well. The interview had a few slight hitches, but they laughed at all of my jokes and seemed really interested in the experiences I shared with them. I did the best I could possibly do in that situation. I had thought I knocked the interview out of the park, and really happy afterwords, even though I'm not the most charismatic person in town.

A half month later, I was sent an automated e-mail saying I was declined. Looking back at it, I did get the same impression as a previous interviewee about people being seemingly dispensable there. I also read from former workers that the chance of being hired there, for a full time job, is very unlikely. I guess it was for the best, anyway, since the pay figures to be the same as a clerk at a grocery store, per hour.

Interview Questions

• "What's the most difficult problem you've ever encountered? A problem that you just couldn't figure out."
      "If our VoIP had problems with it, how would you go about fixing it?"   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Red Frog Events in November 2013.

Interview

I found out about Red Frog at my school's career fair. I was instructed to apply online. After applying they set up a first round phone interview. Next, I had a Skype interview with two people, and then was asked to come in to the office for the final interview (they do not pay for travel). There were no typical interview questions. They chose from a deck of cards in the in person interview and asked questions like "what song would you do at karaoke". All of the interviews were very short, 30 minutes to an hour max.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not very difficult, but they were really random. I think they just wanted to get a sense of what your personality was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Frog Events (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

Was called a few days after applying for an internship- interviewer was friendly and made me feel comfortable. There were some 'out of the box' questions, but largely our conversation focused on my past experience. There were a lot of social media extras--the company did a video chat the next day that allowed people to ask questions about the company via google plus. All in all, a great experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Frog Events (Chicago, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Received a 45 minutes phone interview. Went to Chicago for a second interview. The Red Frog headquarters was awesome. Everyone was so nice and I was introduced to everyone I saw. It was a wonderful experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Frog Events (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

Interesting company, submitted application and received a call for a phone interview the next day, was called a week later and offered an in-office interview. The office is one of a kind, and the people are great I throughly enjoyed my visit to the office. The interview focuses more on you as a person and how can you help them grow and succeed. Did not get offered a job after the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Frog Events (Chicago, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter online, heard back about a week later from company wanting to schedule phone interview that I set up for about a week later. Interviewer was extremely nice and easy going, thought the interview went very well but got an email a few weeks later saying that they decided not to make an offer at that time. Seems like a pretty cool company and great place to work, and though I did not get the offer would without a doubt suggest this company to others.