Red Hat Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

Enterprise Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Remote, OR).

Interview

Was contacted by one of their internal recruiters. I think she was pretty new to this job; she seemed to not even know how to get the conversation started and finally blurted out, "why don't you tell me about your resume". Not specific questions about it per se, just tell me about it. She did a lot of verbal cues that she was listening, but never really asked many questions at all. She said she would be putting me in touch with the hiring manager so look for calendar invite for that time. She did this within a day or two. I had the phone interview w the hiring manager and it was wonderful. I could tell we had a great rapport and he liked how I was answering his questions and the questions I had for him. At the end of the call he said I would be invited for a panel type interview which would take approx half the day. Meeting with 4-6 people, but separately not all at one time and the recruiter would be setting that up. I waited about a week and still hadn't heard anything so I reached out to the recruiter and it took her four days to email me back. Four days! And the email said they are still working on some things internally so give her a week. I am writing this about 5 weeks after that email- never heard from then again. Obviously they have identified the candidate, but is it really that hard to send an email letting me know that? In my opinion very unprofessional of the recruiter. I have a feeling it was on her hands to complete and she just didn't.

Cloud Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was about 2 weeks. There were 2 phone interviews and then an assessment. I did not think of applying until a friend at a bar said he met a person from Red Hat who may be interested in hiring. After a lengthy conversation with the Red Hat person, he said he would get the process started with a recruiter, if I'm interested in a position. The recruiter was 15 minutes late for the first interview, we spoke and she followed up with an assessment. The recruiter interview seemed like a sales ploy to get more Red Hat subscribers. The assessment covers 2 positions (Cloud and Middleware/Platform) not 1, so there is a broad range of topics given in 2 hours. They do not give enough time to answer all of the questions and this is stated before you take the test.

Interview Questions

• The questions were easy, but you do have to remember installation procedures such as Web Server, Firewall, Bridge Network, and NFS installation. One Question, write a script in Ruby using google's geolocation API to get the longitude and latitude from a street address.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Received call from HR within days of application asking to schedule an interview. They called after 5:00 p.m./while I was driving home. I returned call as soon as I got home and left message for recruiter. Never heard back. Received a form letter e-mail rejection one month later. Subsequently learned another co-worker at my company was hired for that position. Was HR recruiter just too disorganized and called me by mistake? Either way, left a bad taste in my mouth. Through the grapevine I've learned the pay they would have offered was $20K less than my current job and this role was a promotion one level up. So definitely not worth it either.

Interview Questions

• When was I available to speak with them.   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

This job was through an employee referral where you apply at a completely separate website for. The HR person contacted me within a week of applying for the job. It was a short 30 minute conversation to make sure the candidate matched the high level expectations for the job. After that, you do a Hackerrank online technical assessment. The technical material varies depending on the job function or technology you're applying for. After that, the HR person reaches out to you again for a meeting with the hiring manager and his team. Generally a 4 hour onsite interview process. If you're in the northeast, they'll most likley send you to NYC. After that, I didn't hear anything back from the company. My reference there had mentioned that in a year end 2016 meeting. the company mentioned they over hired by 1000 or so employees, so they were halting any new on boarding.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok to travel 75% to customer sites Monday through Thursday from week to week?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy standard interviews but recruiter has poor communication skills. The interviewers all asked the normal, expected questions related to the position. I am extremely disappointed in how the recruiter handled the process though and by her poor communication.

Interview Questions

• Give some examples of how you would handle these possible scenarios.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Red Hat (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Original phone interview then followed up by an offer for a face to face. Face to face was with two separate people then another 30 minute phone interview same day

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Red Hat in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewer (Female) was splitting hairs. More than likely it was an internal placement but needed to advertise the Job for legal reason. I have plenty of people skills, my night job is playing music. So i understand what moves people.

Interview Questions

• You may not like our culture.   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

Total process was 7 weeks from application to rejection. Recruiter called after 1st week and scheduled a web-based video conference with hiring manager for the following week. After that, silence from recruiter despite several follow-up emails every 1.5 to 2 weeks. Finally, at week 7, recruiter emailed back to inform me the position went to an internal Red Hat candidate.

While I'm sure the chosen candidate was well-qualified and will be great at the job, and it's good to know Red Hat employees have mobility within the company, it seems odd to post the job externally without first doing an internal search. Perhaps I'm missing something. Overall, happy with the Red Hat culture other than the lack of responsiveness of the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to get multiple roles in your past organization to agree on a solution.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Telephone, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The male recruiter I spoke with was very rude! He had an attitude from the first word of our conversation and, quite frankly, if this is how their staff are to work with, this is NO place I want to work for. He was more interested in knowing what I knew about the company vs what my experience was for the job I applied for -- which is why he called me, right? Beyond the boilerplate response, how would one know everything the company did in more detail beyond the About Us on their website? Because I didn't answer his question correctly, he said "he did not want to waste his time". Wow! Let me say that again, Wow! The questions being asked should be more in line with the job and how I fit the requirements don't you think. This recruiter needs to be replaced! He is a bad reflection on the company, He hates his job and is not a people person. HR is no place for him to be.

Marketing Communications Specialist (Writer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

Two separate phone interviews with a recruiter and the hiring manager. I took a two-part writing test and submitted a portfolio of writing samples.

I followed up with the recruiter, who told me the hiring manager wanted to see some of my "creative" writing samples. I provided them - with a tracking link to see when they were viewed - and no one ever looked at them.

Then, two in-person panel interviews. I sent separate thank-you emails to everyone, including the recruiter and hiring manager. I didn't hear from anyone for more than a week. After I sent two follow-up emails over two weeks, and the recruiter called me to say I didn't get the job. I requested general feedback on my interviews, and she refused.

Red Hat has an initiative for 60% of new hires to be referred by its employees, and several employees referred me for this role. That might be why I got interviews. In my first call with her, the recruiter told me it would be a two-week process. The time from first phone interview to decision was 90+ days.

Overall, I felt they didn't respect my time or my considerable experience. The panel interviews gave me the impression Red Hat employees think they're the smartest people in the room. (Think Google circa 2004.) Their behavior clearly communicated I should feel lucky just to be in the running.

I've since accepted an offer with another company for $20K more per year and better benefits, so things turned out OK.

Interview Questions

• What does Red Hat do? Why do you want to work here? What's the best use of a potato? (No joke; they asked me this, then told me my answer was wrong.)   Answer Question
Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Red Hat Enterprise Account Manager Interview Remote, OR Why red hat,
Red Hat Cloud Consultant Interview Raleigh, NC The questions were easy, but you do have to remember installation procedures such as Web Server, Firewall, Bridge Network, and NFS installation. One Question, write a script in Ruby using google's geolocation API to get the longitude and latitude from a street address.
Red Hat Marketing Interview Raleigh, NC When was I available to speak with them.
Red Hat Senior Consultant Interview Boston, MA Are you ok to travel 75% to customer sites Monday through Thursday from week to week?
Red Hat Program Manager Interview New York, NY Give some examples of how you would handle these possible scenarios.
Red Hat Inside Sales Representative Interview Mountain View, CA What is virtualization?
Red Hat Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview You may not like our culture.
Red Hat Technical Program Manager Interview Raleigh, NC Describe a time you had to get multiple roles in your past organization to agree on a solution.
Red Hat Product Marketing Manager Interview Telephone, TX What does Red Hat do?
Red Hat Marketing Communications Specialist (Writer) Interview Raleigh, NC What does Red Hat do? Why do you want to work here? What's the best use of a potato? (No joke; they asked me this, then told me my answer was wrong.)