Red Hat Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.1

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (London, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was split into 3 parts. A first interview with HR over the phone, with a few questions about previous experiences, aspirations and so on. A second interview over the phone with the hiring manager, more technical, some specific questions about the product portfolio of the company and the market in general. The final interview was in person with a panel of 5 different people from 5 different divisions within the company, it was arranged as a single interview with each one and then a final presentation + Q&A with all of them.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to prepare a paper and a presentation on the market status for the industry the product line is into. I had to present both of them to a panel and then do a Q&A session.   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed with eleven people, including recruiters, managers, architects, and account managers. Each individual that I spoke with impressed me with his or her passion for Red Hat and the open-source way. My interest in joining Red Hat was enhanced by the very intelligent and pleasant people that I met throughout the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you were able to positively influence a difficult customer.   1 Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

It was about 4 weeks and very challenging. A friend referred me which helps big time. I was able to jump up a few notches right off the bat. Spoke with recruiters for some easy Q&A stuff and then came into the office and met with team. That interview was about 3 or 4 hours. After making it through that round they have you do a mock sales call which is pretty tough. If that goes well you are invited back to go over it and meet with regional manager. I met with him and thought the role was a done deal, but sadly no. It was a real buzzkill but ultimately got me my next job. Everyone was super nice and it seems like you have a much higher chance of getting the job if you have experience in the industry.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Red Hat?   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Pune (India)).

Interview

1st round technical
    2nd round technical
    3rd round managerial
    4th round technical
    5th second level manager for salary negotiations.

There may be more or lesser number of rounds depending upon the position. Once you get the first call from the HR then the process pretty smooth.

Interview Questions

• Filesystem, storage,udev, booting, vmcore analysis and networking related questions in depth.   1 Answer

Corporate Safety Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in September 2011.

Interview

Had a 30-minute phone interview with the senior director then was invited to a panel interview. Red Hat selected 5 individuals who represented each of the core company values. I found after I was hired that if any one of them had given a strong thumbs down, it put tremendous pressure on the hiring manager if he/she wanted to override the decision. So yes, collaboration starts on the very first interaction with the company.

Interview Questions

• How do you get people to adopt safety principles.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. Offer was generous and accepted.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in January 2011.

Interview

Two telephone interviews with VP Sales, 2 days of in person interviews. Day 1, three individual interviewers at various layers of sales, marketing management, Day 2, a prepared presentation of sales communication skills of unfamiliar topics. Measured how well you prepared, how you handle objections, and your answers to areas you know little about.

Interview Questions

• Have you read "The Message to Garcia"? If so, explain how that translates to you future at Red Hat   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

HR interview was great (that might be the first kind-hearted HR I ever met). Technical part however was pretty difficult. They (understandably) expect their support engineers to be more experienced than an average sysadmin. I wasn't that experienced, but I thought I might qualify for a niche. The interviewers were support engineers themselves. They looked like professionals, but sadly they were awful at interviewing. I didn't answer every single question, however they insisted that I think about it even when I explicitly stated that I don't know the answer. That lead to a lot of time wasted, a lot of nervousness on my side and a lot of awkward silence.

Interview Questions

• What's 'chmod 444 /bin/chmod', and what would you do about it?   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raanana (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raanana (Israel)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied few time on their web site.
    1. The recruiter called me to confirm my availability, describe the position (I applied for few), appoint me initial phone interview.
    2. The phone interview was technical to the extreme. Questions about: Java language keywords, Java collections, design patterns, thread safety, JEE 3 tier model, database architecture, web architecture. The questions were tricky, but the interviewer was supportive. It was 20 min intense Q&A.
    3. I was invited to onsite technical interview with international team members, using video conference (english spoken). The project was reviewed and I was asked a design question to solve a problem. When I solved the problem they added more complexity. It was simple question slowly evolving to complex server side multi-threaded database solution. It was intense experience the interviewers are sharp and experience engineers.
    4. I was invited to hands-on Java test, with one of the interviewers. The test was about learning existing frizzed code, and extending it with additional functionality. Then it followed with an intense deep dive technical interview into the deep and dark corners of Java. Much deeper then the phone interview. I felt great professional respect to the interviewer, and I felt he respected me too.
    5. Interview with direct manager. Was mostly political and personality interview. Assessing my soft skills for working in open source environment, and top professionals. There were few technical questions about software languages architecture, and multi-threading.
    6. Interview with HR, assess my history, motives, soft skills, desires, career, salary, fitness to open source company.

There were 6 at the finals. I believe the final selection was about personal match to the company and open source development.

Interview Questions

• How to handle rejected code submission to open source project. It was a political question more then technical question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

HR recruiter called to announce I was accepted, verified my expectations. And confirmed with me the details. My initial request was modest and in budget boundaries, there was no negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

Interview was harder than expected for a phone screen. Interviewer asked very technical questions that I was not at all prepared for. The previous phone screen I had was not technical at all.

Interview Questions

• What is REST and SOAP and explain the difference   1 Answer

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2013.

Interview

Great contact with the recruiter, good follow up and communication. Met with hiring manager, 3 team members and the IT Director.

Interview Questions

• IT Director asked me to tell about a time I failed.   1 Answer
    • Also, I asked each interviewer about how they viewed the role I was interviewing for   1 Answer