Red Hat Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 13, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Red Hat (San Diego, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

A Red Hat recruiter (OK, "Talent Acquisition Specialist" :-) ) contacted me about this position. He explained that the interview process would probably take about three weeks due to the schedules of various involved individuals. I spoke with the manager who will be my direct supervisor first a couple of days after initial contact. He was very personable, and it was clear that they're looking for personality and cultural fit as well as technical expertise. A few days after that, I had a second phone interview with a senior architect where the questions became more technical, but it was still clear that wasn't all they wanted. Both of these interviewers were clearly very happy with their jobs and careers, and that was really exciting. In most cases, there would have been a phone call with the account exec that the position is to support (turns out I already knew him, so we skipped that part!) followed by an in-person panel type of interview, which we also skipped... apparently they were already satisfied that I was their guy :-) All in all, it was a very positive experience for me, and made me even more excited to join the team!

I had talked with Red Hat previously about a different role, which included more travel than I was comfortable with. Those who want to work with Red Hat should be aware that a lot of travel is likely to be part of the deal for some positions. Also, that last time, I had taken their HackerRank test, which is very similar to an RHCSA / RCHE exam. You will NOT be able to fake your way through that. Having a Red Hat certification in hand is very helpful, as they know what that means. And if you aren't really excited about Red Hat and have a certain basic amount of knowledge of their products, you likely won't make it far in the process. Everyone I've dealt with loves working here, and it's clear they're well taken care of. But that means they can afford to be picky.

Interview Questions

• Many questions involved my experience with or knowledge of an array of Red Hat products or specific Linux technologies, like SELinux and firewalld.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat (Pune (India)) in June 2017.

Interview

It was a 5 round interview, first telephonic then coding test,Essay writing, technical round and at last managerial round. Interview questions was quite average not very much tough. Thorough preparation of coding and linux will make it easy to crack interview

Senior Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Long and overly complicated, People team screen, Technical screen, Manager Screen and then 3 hours of panel style interviews and a presentation, you have too really want to get through. Panel now look for specific factors (Focus on customer, problem solving, influence, execution) and most importantly Red Hat Cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to significantly modify work procedures so they aligned with new strategic directives   Answer Question

ATSE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

Laid back and group panel lots of personality questions . Getting a feel of your personality and how you would fit in the groups that exist.

Interview Questions

• Question regarding Linux how would you handle different situations   1 Answer

Contract Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter then interview on the phone by two or three people then had an in person interview with three different people. Got an offer within a week or two.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in August 2017.

Interview

First of all:Red hat policy gives each team full control over their interview and hiring process. So this is why people have different experiences according to the team they were interviewed by.

In my case it was referred by a current employee for a remote position with a team scattered between Europe and the Americas.

A few weeks later i got an email from a recruiter based in central Europe. She proposed an interview date and time. It was 1 hour interview with the Engineering manager followed by one hour panel interview with the team(3 Engineers).

I replied by asking her more questions about the interview style, the topics expected to be covered and if i should prepare any code samples to show(given that the vast majority of my work is courtesy of my employers and their clients, not on public github repos) or if i should fix a open issue in their product so we can discuss during the interview....However, she totally ignored my questions and focused solely on the interview date and time.

The first interview with the Engineer manager went really fine. It was a general discussion about my past and current experiences, why do i want to work in OSS and i asked him a few questions about Open source projects he contributed into.
    He seemed very pleased with my knowledge of the OSS world, the Java eco system and my general knowledge about modern software engineering practices and utilities(containerization, cloud computing , PAAS, server-less architecture, Micro services, extra)....

The next interview with the team was the opposite, they didn't shown they were prepared at all. Their plan was to see a piece of code i wrote and i'm really proud of. And i said i have nothing prepared for the moment and that i asked the HR if i should prepare something and that she ignored by questions, they were like....what should we do now?

To cut a long story short, Unfortunately they did not had a plan B! They even told me they are on a tight time line to hire for this position so they can't afford to ask candidates to fix bugs in their product and do code reviews!

So we passed around 20 award minutes, i was asked general questions about my experience with remote work and to explain the architecture of a product i am proud to build. I did my pitching and i sensed no real engagement from their side. The vibes i sensed were like:"Meh! We heard a lot of pitching and we want to see code, real beef".

The thing that really discouraged me is not the fact that the team were not ready for the interview and didn't clearly communicate the interview prerequisites in advance. The real turn off was how the HR twice ignored my follow up emails after the interview.

So as i said, after that interview, in a very unprofessional turn of events, the recruiter went completely radio-silent. No responses to follow-up emails…

The question is, will i apply again for a job at Red Hat after such negative experience? Maybe, if i ever had the time to extensively contribute to an OSS project so i can get the "stamp", and if the whole process got more organised.

Advise to the company:
    1) Try to standardise your interview process, don't leave it 100% in the hands of teams. Some of them can be less organised than others. Or at least provide them with training.
    2)If you want to keep the current process, then clearly communicate your expectations. And remember, for every hour a candidate would loose during an interview, the company looses 3 hours of your senior engineers time

Interview Questions

• Describe the architecture of a system you are proud to build   1 Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Interview

What process? I applied online, I received a call letting me know they had two different positions open (two different products) - the person I spoke with said he would have the hiring manager contact me about one of the positions that he did not have much detail on.

Fast forward a week or so, I receive an interview invite from the recruiter/talent acquisitions fellow - literally, a scheduled interview (no contact asking for my availability or etc). I declined the meeting but never heard back from the recruiter so out of courtesy, I attending the interview.

BAD IDEA!

I was completely blind sided, for one. The person I interviewed with knew nothing about the product and role that I was interviewing for (which is ridiculous).

Overall, there was no process - it needs some fine tuning for sure. For such a large company, they should be a master at this now but clearly they are not.

Honestly, a huge disappointment. Terrible experience.

Interview Questions

• Python and Linux based questions. These will be asked regardless of if your experience is with another language or OS.   Answer Question

Cloud Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was super friendly. He asked me lots of Linux and networking related questions. Also asked me about any sales experience. Apparently, the Cloud Solutions Architect role also requires you to up selling, or convenience clients to purchase more service from RedHat. overall it was a good interview, but I failed to answer few questions.

Interview Questions

• Q. You realised that your infrastructure is coming under constant DDOS attack. How would you mitigate the DDOS attack? What kind of solutions you can come up with so it doesn't happen again in the future?   Answer Question

Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in July 2016.

Interview

Four phone interviews to hear after a month of silence that the position is finally not created. Interviews mainly around previous experience, how would you deal with various situations and education about Red Hat culture.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

1st Round:-Given one image told to write 150 - 200 words Essay.
    2st Round:-Consist of three tests(Hacker Earth).
    1) Core Java Programming Test.
    2)J2EE,JMS,Distributed System, Clustering,Transaction Test
    3)RDBMS
    then proceed to F2F interview

Interview Questions

• Transaction,
      JMS,
      Collection,
      Clustering,
      Core Java.   1 Answer

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Telephone Screening on technical skills after HR Calls, Onsite interview with 4 Sales Account managers and 2 Senior Solution architects. Interview was kind of average but focused more on presentation skills and Red Hat products

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard session to explain one of the architecture I built.   1 Answer