Red Hat Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

I was initially contacted briefly via phone describing the job and setting up a time for a phone interview. The next step was a 10 min phone interview talking about my previous experiences. I then moved on to an in person interview at their Raleigh office. The in person interview was pretty standard. I discussed my resume and previous technical support experience in more detail with 2 senior technical support managers who I would be working under. I also discussed my experience developing using Openshift while in school and what was entailed in supporting Openshift at Red Hat in greater detail.

Interview Questions

• They ask how I what kind of scaling considerations I might need to keep in mind if I was scaling an application using Openshift and some possible mitigation to those issue.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Telephone, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The male recruiter I spoke with was very rude! He had an attitude from the first word of our conversation and, quite frankly, if this is how their staff are to work with, this is NO place I want to work for. He was more interested in knowing what I knew about the company vs what my experience was for the job I applied for -- which is why he called me, right? Beyond the boilerplate response, how would one know everything the company did in more detail beyond the About Us on their website? Because I didn't answer his question correctly, he said "he did not want to waste his time". Wow! Let me say that again, Wow! The questions being asked should be more in line with the job and how I fit the requirements don't you think. This recruiter needs to be replaced! He is a bad reflection on the company, He hates his job and is not a people person. HR is no place for him to be.

Alliances Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in June 2016.

Interview

I started by interviewing and speaking a couple of times with the RH recruiter who was great. I then interviewed in the phone with the hiring manager, 3 team members and another person who was not on the team but who I would be working with closely. These interviews all went extremely well and I felt great about the job. I then had to interview with their Sr. Director who kind of ran me down right from the start. Major attitude. I figured that the job was dead after that, but then they asked me to come down to Raleigh for an in-person interview with the team members. After scheduling the date, RH then asked me to change it so that the Sr. Director could be there as well. It kind of jammed me up but I accommodated because I thought that Red Hat was worth it as a company.

I traveled to Raleigh and met with the team members and hiring manager in person (individually). Again, great conversations and experience. Then the Sr. Director talks to me on the phone. After changing my travel schedule so that he could meet me in person he didn't even show up. Same thing, total attitude, low-level questions, kind of unprofessional in my opinion. I wouldn't even like to do business with someone like that.

No job offer, and I think that they just used me to check a box with HR so that they could say that they interviewed candidates, enabling so the Sr. Director to hire who he really wanted. That's fine but don't drag me down to Raleigh for your dog and pony show- get some local people to interview if you are going to do that. The whole thing left a really bad taste in my mouth, and Red Hat is kind of dead to me now. I suspect that the culture they've built is now fading out with all of the management hires from companies like Oracle, HP, CA, EMC and VMware.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

Run of the mill screening with recruiter where she gathered background information. This was followed by one interview with two different managers, and a follow up with a senior level recruiter.

Principal Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Several hours long on-site in Westford, MA. A mix of in person and remote video conference interviews. Shepherded by the recruiter and hiring manger. Interviewees were senior level engineering and product management members.
    Red Hat paid for air fare, rental car, hotel and food.
    Interview questions were behavioral focused.
    Note that Red Hat generally supports remote work.

Interview Questions

• Q: how would you decide where to invest resources / prioritize features?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was very solid. No need to negotiate.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

Outstanding experience with a number of stakeholders from across the globe and across different levels of multiple organizations. It was a time commitment, but I was grateful to meet with both people managers and individual contributors, including both experiences and not-so-experienced folks that are currently in the role I was interested in.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe the culture of my current company.   1 Answer

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Telephone call from Manager - Technical Round on questions about layer 2 and layer 3 knowledge- On site behavioral round about the previous work experience - Confirmation within 2 weeks

Marketing Communications Specialist (Writer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

Two separate phone interviews with a recruiter and the hiring manager. I took a two-part writing test and submitted a portfolio of writing samples.

I followed up with the recruiter, who told me the hiring manager wanted to see some of my "creative" writing samples. I provided them - with a tracking link to see when they were viewed - and no one ever looked at them.

Then, two in-person panel interviews. I sent separate thank-you emails to everyone, including the recruiter and hiring manager. I didn't hear from anyone for more than a week. After I sent two follow-up emails over two weeks, and the recruiter called me to say I didn't get the job. I requested general feedback on my interviews, and she refused.

Red Hat has an initiative for 60% of new hires to be referred by its employees, and several employees referred me for this role. That might be why I got interviews. In my first call with her, the recruiter told me it would be a two-week process. The time from first phone interview to decision was 90+ days.

Overall, I felt they didn't respect my time or my considerable experience. The panel interviews gave me the impression Red Hat employees think they're the smartest people in the room. (Think Google circa 2004.) Their behavior clearly communicated I should feel lucky just to be in the running.

I've since accepted an offer with another company for $20K more per year and better benefits, so things turned out OK.

Interview Questions

• What does Red Hat do? Why do you want to work here? What's the best use of a potato? (No joke; they asked me this, then told me my answer was wrong.)   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

The first step was a phone screen with a Red Hat recruiter. From there an in-person interview with a panel; for my role in particular it was 4x 30-minute interviews back to back (2 hrs) but I've heard that for technical roles this is 4 hrs. Then the next step was a mock sales call where you sell a Red Hat team on a product. They prepare you for this with sufficient time and resources. Then a last step was an interview with a higher up level deciding to make a recommendation to the hiring team.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

Got an email very quickly after applying via their website to set up a phone call initial interview for few days later. The call was a few minutes late and the interviewer seemed rushed - but friendly. It was hard to gauge how well things went due to how hurried the guy seemed, but he let me know he would be in touch in a week to let me know about the next step or to provide feedback - which I really appreciate.

Interview Questions

• Very conversational. Lots of questions about why i applied, why Red Hat, why it would be good for them, why it would be good for me...   Answer Question