Red Hat Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Red Hat Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

3.1

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Telephone call from Manager - Technical Round on questions about layer 2 and layer 3 knowledge- On site behavioral round about the previous work experience - Confirmation within 2 weeks

Marketing Communications Specialist (Writer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

Two separate phone interviews with a recruiter and the hiring manager. I took a two-part writing test and submitted a portfolio of writing samples.

I followed up with the recruiter, who told me the hiring manager wanted to see some of my "creative" writing samples. I provided them - with a tracking link to see when they were viewed - and no one ever looked at them.

Then, two in-person panel interviews. I sent separate thank-you emails to everyone, including the recruiter and hiring manager. I didn't hear from anyone for more than a week. After I sent two follow-up emails over two weeks, and the recruiter called me to say I didn't get the job. I requested general feedback on my interviews, and she refused.

Red Hat has an initiative for 60% of new hires to be referred by its employees, and several employees referred me for this role. That might be why I got interviews. In my first call with her, the recruiter told me it would be a two-week process. The time from first phone interview to decision was 90+ days.

Overall, I felt they didn't respect my time or my considerable experience. The panel interviews gave me the impression Red Hat employees think they're the smartest people in the room. (Think Google circa 2004.) Their behavior clearly communicated I should feel lucky just to be in the running.

I've since accepted an offer with another company for $20K more per year and better benefits, so things turned out OK.

Interview Questions

• What does Red Hat do? Why do you want to work here? What's the best use of a potato? (No joke; they asked me this, then told me my answer was wrong.)   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

The first step was a phone screen with a Red Hat recruiter. From there an in-person interview with a panel; for my role in particular it was 4x 30-minute interviews back to back (2 hrs) but I've heard that for technical roles this is 4 hrs. Then the next step was a mock sales call where you sell a Red Hat team on a product. They prepare you for this with sufficient time and resources. Then a last step was an interview with a higher up level deciding to make a recommendation to the hiring team.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

Got an email very quickly after applying via their website to set up a phone call initial interview for few days later. The call was a few minutes late and the interviewer seemed rushed - but friendly. It was hard to gauge how well things went due to how hurried the guy seemed, but he let me know he would be in touch in a week to let me know about the next step or to provide feedback - which I really appreciate.

Interview Questions

• Very conversational. Lots of questions about why i applied, why Red Hat, why it would be good for them, why it would be good for me...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

First round with the Hiring Manager , next round with the technical director. Average difficulty. Hiring Managers questions were based on past Experience, Technical Questions Included Databases especially NOSQL and MongoDB , other Questions included Linux OS and simple java based questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background ? And how familiar are you with Red Hat?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

Interview

Started with a phone call with a manager and an engineer, 30 mins, resume based behavioral and technical questions. Followed by 2- 45 min sessions, with 3 Interviewers each. Again, mix of behavioral and technical (Not too hard). Tried to gauge my ability to work and preform required tasks. Side projects was a plus.

Interview Questions

• Q. Situation when I came across technical difficulty and how did I overcame it?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in March 2016.

Interview

Sent my resume to a current employee at Red Hat. He forwarded it onto HR. Received a phone call shortly thereafter to start the process.

First call was a basic screen from HR to determine cultural and position fit. They were also extremely open to the heavy amount of travel required.

After the screen, I was sent to an online assessment where I was given 90 minutes to cover a variety of topics. This included configuring a VM (similar to a cert exam).

After the assessment, I was given a call from a current senior consultant. A little was about doing an additional check on my background, but was primarily for asking them questions.

Shortly after, I was flown out to RH (all expenses paid). The entire morning was an interview that consisted of 3 parts. An interview with a manager, a whiteboard scenario, and then a technical presentation. All three are fairly easy as you're given the objectives to prepare well before you are flown out

Finally, I had to wait a few weeks for the bench to clear up, but received my offer.

Interview Questions

• Draw a basic network diagram and explain security concepts to someone non-technical.   Answer Question
    • Explain the concepts of platform as a service   Answer Question
    • Explain curent automation tools and what work you have done with them   1 Answer
    • What are your views on certifications?   Answer Question
    • How would you manage a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • Can you explain any project management methodologies?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

Submitted application through university portal, was offered a phone interview with manager. Manager gave a brief overview of Red Hat as a company, and then of what the specific practice group's role was inside the company. It was a very helpful introduction into what the function of the position actually was, which helped me give more tailored and specific answers.

Interview Questions

• After giving a brief overview of the practice group and its' function, my interviewer asked what contributions I could make to the group, with specific reference to my prior work experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

To get my position I first went through an HR Interview, followed a few weeks later by a hone Interview with my hiring manager, finally an in-person interview with three current employees who asked positions related to career development and prior experiences. Not terribly difficult, but definitely intimidating for an intern position.

Interview Questions

• Following this experience, what would be your future/optimal position?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in March 2016.

Interview

First I was given a phone interview. I talked a lot about technical stuff and got passed to the next. But I failed in this second round. I think probably because I didn't pay enough attention to the "business" part. Besides technical methods you have also pay great attention to what your customers could understand and attain.