Red Hat Interview Questions in Raleigh-Durham, NC | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

87 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Social Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

I got an email asking to schedule a phone interview and had the phone interview the next morning. He asked some questions about my resume, what I am looking for in this position and if I had any questions about the position. He also asked about my Master Thesis (which I wrote on Social Media) and specific metrics I had from working with Social Media in a previous internship. Overall, the interview lasted between 10-15 minutes.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

Initial Phone Interview just based on my resume with the team lead. Then, had a two hour long onsite interview which consisted of behavioural questions, some logical puzzles and my experience.

Interview Questions

• How to swap two numbers without using temporary variable?   1 Answer

Cloud Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was about 2 weeks. There were 2 phone interviews and then an assessment. I did not think of applying until a friend at a bar said he met a person from Red Hat who may be interested in hiring. After a lengthy conversation with the Red Hat person, he said he would get the process started with a recruiter, if I'm interested in a position. The recruiter was 15 minutes late for the first interview, we spoke and she followed up with an assessment. The recruiter interview seemed like a sales ploy to get more Red Hat subscribers. The assessment covers 2 positions (Cloud and Middleware/Platform) not 1, so there is a broad range of topics given in 2 hours. They do not give enough time to answer all of the questions and this is stated before you take the test.

Interview Questions

• The questions were easy, but you do have to remember installation procedures such as Web Server, Firewall, Bridge Network, and NFS installation. One Question, write a script in Ruby using google's geolocation API to get the longitude and latitude from a street address.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Received call from HR within days of application asking to schedule an interview. They called after 5:00 p.m./while I was driving home. I returned call as soon as I got home and left message for recruiter. Never heard back. Received a form letter e-mail rejection one month later. Subsequently learned another co-worker at my company was hired for that position. Was HR recruiter just too disorganized and called me by mistake? Either way, left a bad taste in my mouth. Through the grapevine I've learned the pay they would have offered was $20K less than my current job and this role was a promotion one level up. So definitely not worth it either.

Interview Questions

• When was I available to speak with them.   1 Answer

Production Editor and Filmmaker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

Exchanged over 10-15 emails with 3-4 recruiters. Spoke on the phone with various interviewers for about 3 hours. And drove 4 hours for a 3 hour in person interview with 5 individuals, to never receive a single email letting me know that they had decided to go with someone else for the position. I had to email them 4 weeks after the interview to find out about the fate of the role. I find this so extremely unprofessional for a company to do. I get that I may not have been what they company was looking for in the that role, but to take so much personal time from an individual and not take a minute to write them an email or give them a phone call to let them know about the position is a slap in the face to anyone hoping to get with Red Hat. Please be more considerate of those interested in joining this company.

Interview Questions

• To share various examples of previous work examples relating to various scenarios.   Answer Question

Corporate Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

4 months from start to finish - 5 interviews total. First interview was with internal recruiter on-site. Second interview was phone interview with hiring manager. 3-5 were panel interviews with team members/hiring manager. Recruiter was unresponsive during interview process. Recruiter did not contact me when position was filled.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your work in your current position?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

3 steps.
    first Written assessment with core java concepts and little about design patterns. It was required to reply within 2 hours after I get question.and then Bluejeans web interview and finally Onsite interview with developer and manager. Final interview ~1 our.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Behavioral based. Focus on job skills and problem solving will vary. Heavy focus on culture fit, which will also vary by department. Some are very well trained and follow the standard interview process. Some do not. Expect at least several interviews from calls with recruiter to several group and or individual interviews. May take some time. Be patient through-out the process.

Interview Questions

• They will ask about past experiences related to job requirements, problem solving scenarios, what you know about open source and the company history, and various scenarios where you demonstrate resolution of conflict, worked through job related challenges, etc. Be honest and transparent.   1 Answer

Senior Software Maintenance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied via a referral from a friend who works for Red Hat.

Process began with a brief discussion over the phone with the hiring manager, then another phone conversation with some of their engineers. After that, they sent me a test to complete. First part was 12 support case questions, and the second half was 5 programming tasks. They explained that I would have 24 hours to complete it, and scheduled sending it to me once I was ready to begin.

The test explained that they were looking for quality over quantity, and to answer as many as I can. I answered 9 of the 12 support questions, and completed 4 of the 5 programming tasks.

I heard back after 2 days that I did well, and was given an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Support questions were taken from real cases they've handled. I've seen most of the issues before, and was able to answer them immediately, others I had to google but quickly understood how to reply.   1 Answer
    • Implement JMX HelloWorld mbean   Answer Question
    • Implement JMS producer and consumer   Answer Question
    • Implement Remote EJB call from standalone Java application   Answer Question
    • Implement JPA Entity and JSP to save and display   Answer Question

Salary

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

Total process was 7 weeks from application to rejection. Recruiter called after 1st week and scheduled a web-based video conference with hiring manager for the following week. After that, silence from recruiter despite several follow-up emails every 1.5 to 2 weeks. Finally, at week 7, recruiter emailed back to inform me the position went to an internal Red Hat candidate.

While I'm sure the chosen candidate was well-qualified and will be great at the job, and it's good to know Red Hat employees have mobility within the company, it seems odd to post the job externally without first doing an internal search. Perhaps I'm missing something. Overall, happy with the Red Hat culture other than the lack of responsiveness of the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to get multiple roles in your past organization to agree on a solution.   Answer Question